PDA

View Full Version : AGD should send an AutoMag to MythBusters :)

joker4hire
01-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Don't you think?! :)

They seem to be really smart and science like, so maybe they can break all the Paintball myth's on National Television ;)

member#10,261
01-20-2004, 09:32 PM
that would be kik ars, I would buy that episode

barberjohn
01-20-2004, 09:36 PM
what, you mean the myth that tiny magical elves carefully place ever paintball into the breech, so that there is no chopping. i dont know what your talking about man, but thats real! ive seen it happen!

:D

nato
01-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Who said anything about the elves being a myth???

N.A.T.O.

Pullman
01-20-2004, 11:49 PM
I think that would be fun. We could spend 3 episodes just on the paintball barrel thing.

the_next_guy_
01-21-2004, 12:03 AM
TK could host it:)

Kevmaster
01-21-2004, 01:55 AM
yeh, TK has already done all the work, he just doesn't get a nice national show to tell the world about it...

sigh...

Bucky
01-21-2004, 02:24 AM
exactly what myth would they bust though? i mean, the whole mags suck myth is a little, well, opinionated.

joker4hire
01-21-2004, 04:43 AM
Hmm... how bout

Mags have more arch
Don't shoot as far
Chop
Not as accurate

But not just mag myth's

How bout low pressure=further shot
Rifled barrels
Porting
two boar barrels

just to nam a few...

Chojin Man
01-21-2004, 05:32 AM
Hmm the show is more about busting urban myths than paintball hype. Does anyone know of any good paintball urban myths?

rikkter
01-21-2004, 05:50 AM
that show is interesting. like the rain one. you'd get wetter running in the rain, at the same distance, with a steady rainfall, than walking.

and about the elves. mine hate me right now :\

fallout11
01-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Unfortunately, most of their "experiments" are flawed.
Including the rain-running one.
NOAA (yes, the national weather people) already ran that experiment, and concluded just the opposite, that you got less wet running, because you spent less time in the rain in the first place.
It was even on the news (NPR).
And they had data to prove it.
In fact, it was they who came up with the "weigh the clothing afterward to measure how much water had soaked in" criteria used by the Mythbusters.

melster
01-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Yeah. I hate that show. Those two guys are so subjective in their experiments and conclusions. It's total pseudoscience.

Mindflux
01-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by melster
Yeah. I hate that show. Those two guys are so subjective in their experiments and conclusions. It's total pseudoscience.

Well the day I see you on cable, dispelling myths.. pseudosience or not, I'll give you a gold star.

Where's your credibility? They must have some, being that they're on discovery channel.

:rolleyes:

melster
01-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Mindflux

Well the day I see you on cable, dispelling myths.. pseudosience or not, I'll give you a gold star.

Where's your credibility? They must have some, being that they're on discovery channel.

:rolleyes:

The day I'm on cable on a tv show host is the day I don't give a damn what kind of stars people give me.

Those two guys aren't scientists. They're special effects people for goodness sake!

As far as my credibility, I have none. I could tell you the truth:

I studied aerospace engineering for two years, graduated as a biology major, work as a senior software engineer and make upwards of $80K a year.

But for all you know, I could be a 13 year old brat swinging my made up e-penis. So who cares about my credibility?

I hate their show so much I've only watched a couple of episodes and never ever want to watch it again. Like the whole rain (walk/vs run thing). Common sense tells you that if you walk for a mile in the rain, you'll get more wet than if you run a mile in the rain. Yet they flubbed that.

How about the guy stuck in a pipe with a racoon and gas? The way they set up their experiment, they didn't even have to run the test and I could tell them what was going to happen.

They're making entertainment flavored with a bit of science. That's what it boils down to. They don't care if their experiments are scientific. They just want higher ratings and make more money.

barberjohn
01-21-2004, 03:37 PM
They just want higher ratings and make more money.
man, thats how all of tv is today, doesnt matter what they put on it, just as long as thier ratings go up, which means more mula.

fallout11
01-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Like most crap they put on TV today, it is just for entertainment, not educational value.

But Mythbusters really just burns my nads.
As with Melster, I can't stand to sit and watch the program, always have to turn and watch something else.
IMHO one of Discovery Channel's worst shows to date.
Absolutely subjective psuedoscience quackery, obviously pandering to the lowest common denominator.

And like Melster, I have no cable TV show, and am not an all-knowing hollywood special effects technician.
I'm just a lowly mechanical engineer with 2 degrees (Physics and Engineering) who designs structural components for military cargo planes. What the heck what I know about science? :p

P.S.: Anybody remember this?:
"Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Sir Bedivere, from "Monty Python And The Holy Grail"

Incidentally, I do think Mindflux (who likes cheese) was just being sarcastic.....

Mindflux
01-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Well I was being sarcastic in a way.

I mean... if you pitched a show to Discovery like this.

Guy #1: "Yeah, me and my bud here with no hair and an astoundingly big mustache, that doesn't mind being naked for the sake of tv would like to do a show about dispelling myths, however we will be using pseudoscience rather than cold hard evidence. We'd also like a salary of XXX,XXX per year, with a bonus if our ratings on the neilson go above 4". "To cap that off, we'll have millions of pseudoscience fans, unlike Bill Nye who will adore and admire our pseudoscience efforts that we can't back up with any credibility since BOTH of our specialties are not within this realm."

Guy #2: "Sound good, Discovery?"

Discovery Honcho: "IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'LL MAKE A FORTUNE! YOU BOYS HAVE A SHOW"

Guy #1 + #2: "ALRIGHT LETS GO MAKE STUFF THAT JOHN Q. COUCH POTATO WILL DISPELL!"

I find it very VERY unlikely that discovery channel would want to put a show on the air with absolutely no credibility what so ever. These two on mythbusters, DO (what you see on camera) try to talk to professionals that HAVE this type of experience to find the best method for determining if X = Y or not.

Pseudoscience or not, what they're doing, John Q. Couch Potato understands, they don't show you the big formulas the real guys would computate. That would be, *GASP* boring!

melster
01-21-2004, 04:15 PM
I didn't say that all of their stuff is bogus. Let's just not pretend that they're using the scientific method.

Having two special effects guys of indeterminate sexuality pretending to perform "scientific" analysis on urban myths will always have no credibility with me. That's like having a singing show where you have Paula Abdul as a judge!

Oh, wait.

1stdeadeye
01-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Maybe they can finally solve the open bolt versus closed bolt debate!:D

JEDI
01-21-2004, 07:37 PM

But for all you know, I could be a 13 year old brat swinging my made up e-penis. So who cares about my credibility?

Wow! Sig quote! Its mine! I call dibs.

PolishSausage
01-21-2004, 07:47 PM
I say send them the Hammerhead barrel system...

Evil1
01-27-2004, 03:11 AM
Are those guys in mythbusters gay?

Chojin Man
01-27-2004, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by AGDFlash
Are those guys in mythbusters gay?

You wish!;)

fallout11
01-27-2004, 07:06 AM
They remind me just a bit too much of the 2 campy gay henchmen in "Diamonds Are Forever."

[After sealing Bond in a coffin and conveying him into a crematorium's furnace.]
Mr. Wint: Very moving.
Mr. Kidd: Heartwarming, Mr. Wint.
Mr. Wint: A glowing tribute, Mr. Kidd.

dmocratic
01-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by fallout11
P.S.: Anybody remember this?:
"Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?"
King Author, from "Monty Python And The Holy Grail"

No, that's Bedivere (sp?) who says it.

It's at the end of the "She's a witch, burn her !" scene,
when Bedivere asks "And what else floats in water ?",
and after the crowd says various stupid things like
"small rocks", Arthur says "A Duck !".

The mob then weighs the witch, who weighs the same
as a duck. She says "It's a fair cop.", the mob
yells "Burn her!", off they go to do so, and Bedivere
asks Arthur "Who are youuu who are so wise ..."

But I'm not a geek. Oh no, not me !

WenULiVeUdiE
01-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Of course this show has very little if any educational value. But think about the name, Mythbusters, say it aloud. They Bust Myths! They a had a show just like this on mtv, big urban myth show. This was never meant to be educational, but to dispell urban myths.

O yea, it was possible for someone to escape alcatraz on a raft.

AGD
01-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Gosh you guys are harsh! I love that show! The one I think is incredibly dumb is American Chopper with the stupid father always yelling at the kids. People actually think those guys are engineers...

At least Mythbusters know how to remote control a car with rockets strapped to it!

AGD

cphilip
01-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Hehe... I actually love American Chopper but never thought they were engineers. Heck anyone would have fun though buying the best crate motors and stuff and making something out of it. Dad is a real pain in the arse though isn't he? I actually used to work for a guy he reminds me of. A reall bull of guy. Terrible temper. But one of the nicest guys you ever want to work for. He musta fired me fourty times in a Summer. I never left the job site when he did. I would just continued to work like I didn't hear him. He was always mad at someone else when he did. Usually his wife or his son in law and when I wouldn't agree with him he would yell at me and fire me. Sometimes two or three times a week. I would just laugh and him and keep on working. Next day he would not say a word about it. Act like it never happened! ;)

Enjoy Myth Busters too.

BUT!

What we really need Tom to do is a Monster Garage! Cept Jessy is a jerk. But the building stuff is cool as heck. A 200 MPH Vega Paintball Battle tank!

Athius
01-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Forget mythbusters even though i like the show.

How about a documentary of the history of paintball and its technology? That would be nice

Smoke
01-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by AGD
Gosh you guys are harsh! I love that show! The one I think is incredibly dumb is American Chopper with the stupid father always yelling at the kids. People actually think those guys are engineers...

At least Mythbusters know how to remote control a car with rockets strapped to it!

AGD

The umbrella gun that shot ice and meat bullets was pretty cool.

1stdeadeye
01-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD

No Tom, I don't think of them as engineers. I think most people watch the show to see if the Big Paul has a heart attack or FLips out and kills Paulie! At least that is what I am waiting for!;)

Infratracide
01-27-2004, 09:11 PM
The guys seem to be more artistic and creative than scientific. I met one of them, he's my sister's godmother's brother! Im not kidding! LOL
Well the discovery channel is a farcry from when i used to watch it as a kid... as has most tv. I don't think the show's crew can use complicated experiments for each myth. They only try to reenact reported events (that are now myths) and determine it was at all possible (by giving the myth the benefit of the doubt.)

Toxic Dave
01-28-2004, 01:46 AM
That friggin "American Chopper" show puts me right over the edge....I've never seen a larger group of hacks in the same place before. They eyeball measure motor vehicles they are building for chrissakes!!!! Then they have no problem using a f'ing makita hand drill to put holes in a steel frame only after it's had a multi-thousand dollar paint job on it. Stupid Sons a -------. I wonder what their rust warantee is.

I belive that if someone with a tiny bit of knowledge of precision manufacturing processes and a pair of calipers walked in that joint they'd be strung up as a witch. I wouldn't let those idiots weld up a wrought iron gate for me much less a motor friggin vehicle.

That's not even mentioning the retarded banter those clows gibber out of thier yaps. "I gotta tell ya, I didn't think Mikey was gonna be able to put his pants on this morning, but you know what? he really came through and I'm proud of him." "You know it's really a lot of work fabricating these custom bikes in such a short period of time." Try making one that's road worthy you moron, then it might be tough.

I can't wait till some clown who was dumb enough to drop 80+K for one of the pieces of junk they call a bike gets hurt and sues them for every dime they've made from hawking occ trucker hats to even dumber people.

Sorry for the rant, but that show is my kryptonite.

dave

AGD
01-28-2004, 03:10 AM
GO DAVE!!! :)

AGD

Chojin Man
01-28-2004, 04:57 AM
:D http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v19/newtdawg69/owned2.jpg

Rebel46_99
01-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Toxic Dave
That friggin "American Chopper" show puts me right over the edge....

Sorry for the rant, but that show is my kryptonite.

dave

My, my, my...... Apparently we didn't get any last nite. ;) Or for the last month it would seem. :p

OCC definitely beats the heck out of the new one that's running. "Southern Chopper". Watching and listening to that on Sunday nite made my teeth hurt.

DW

1stdeadeye
01-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Rebel46_99

My, my, my...... Apparently we didn't get any last nite. ;) Or for the last month it would seem. :p

OCC definitely beats the heck out of the new one that's running. "Southern Chopper". Watching and listening to that on Sunday nite made my teeth hurt.

DW

AMen to that! Souther CHopper is just bad!!! No potential for violence there!

Tom,
You really don't like the Tuttles do you?;)

p8ntball1016
01-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Chojin Man
:D ]Did you ever stop to think there might be a reason it was deleted? THINK!!! cphilipoh thats getting deleted. i posted it back in oct. and its gone now.

barberjohn
01-28-2004, 01:05 PM
wow, someone's not doin thier job, that pic has lasted almost a half a day.:D

hitech
01-28-2004, 01:08 PM
That chopper show looks pretty bad to me also. However, I've only seen the ads, never watched the show. What ever prompted you guys to watch it in the first place?

I've only seen on full show of Myth Busters. I liked that one. It was about magnetic fields erasing credit card style strips. That one seemed well done to me. :D

RoadDawg
01-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Shows I can't stand are those stupid house make over shows. Talk about retarded. I myself like myth busters, American Choppers and most of all Monster Garage. I like watching these guys come up with some interesting stuff. Myth busters has it's moments and the only one that I didn't like was the "do you get wetter by walking or running in the rain?"

hardr0ck68
01-28-2004, 03:23 PM
yeah, BOOO for the home makeover crap....ok patical board, cloth, and FRIGGIN FOAM are not how you redo a house...i have yet to see one of those doppers use a peice of real friggin wood. "oh look we built you this entire deck for a buck and a nickel isnt it wounderful?" "and if you look right over here, you can see that we hid our crappy workmanship with these nifty fake bushes!!" GRRRR

and yeah, i like Monster Garage alot!! Its just cool to see people play around with expensive toys in such a half arsed way...

But for both American Chopper and Monster Garage, the real props go to the painters!!!

SaS
01-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Fan of mythbusters and monster garage. But speaking of discovery channel shows... how about Wings back in the day? and no, i'm not talking about the sitcom:D

Not a fan of the house make over shows either. Southern choppers, hasn't really irritated me... yet

But for both American Chopper and Monster Garage, the real props go to the painters!!!

amen brotha

Toxic Dave
01-28-2004, 04:55 PM
I don't so much mind Monster Garage, those guys are building something that's supposed to work for 20 minutes, and alot of the time it comes out pretty nice for what they had to work with. Every now and again there's some good thinking going on there. It's not some halfwits welding some scrap metal together, with no concept of design or engineering within 2 miles of the shop, then charging 75+K for the piece of garbage with a nice paint job.

Wouldn't ya think that the DOT would require some sort of inspection on motor vehicles to see if they are roadworthy?? Heck even some sort of licence to fabricate stuff that travels the roadways.

I swear to god I was planning on taking welding and motorcyle repair classes purely so I could put those freaks out of business. I'm quite sure that I could "fabricate" some stuff that would blow away "little paulie's" hot garbage.

I can't take it, I don't even want to know what the redneck chopper show is like, it may lead me to crime.

dave

Evil1
01-29-2004, 02:41 AM
The bikes Jesse James builds are way cooler than Paul's stupid bikes. On Paul's behalf though, that last show w/ the tribute to nam vets and POWs bike they built wasn't the coolest bike, but they certainly meant well. I might be wrong but I think Jesse James has way more knowledge on making or building a high performance motor along with the customization skills. But with Paul, he is more knowledgeable with the cosmetic end of building bikes. Personally though I think Jesse has forgot more than Paul will ever know about an internal combustion engine.

Toxic Dave
01-29-2004, 10:41 AM
The word in the bike world is that Jesse isn't all that good a mechanic either, but he's got a whole army of guys working for him that are. Both parties are t-shirt salesmen, those guys have to be pulling in 10 million a year from sticker and tee shirt sales and 1 from actual bike sales.

WenULiVeUdiE
01-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by AGDFlash
I think Jesse James has way more knowledge on making or building a high performance motor along with the customization skills. But with Paul, he is more knowledgeable with the cosmetic end of building bikes.

Of course jesse knows more abot high performence engins and bikes. He did afterall start the compnay with his wife and he owns it, and Paul has only been working at that shop for, I think, 3 years. And Pauls job is a Fabricator, not an engineer. A fabricater just does the aesthetics, not the engines and such. I am pretty sure Jesse uses his own engines, but he doesnt build them himself. While, the Tuetels buy their engines from people.

TransMan
01-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Well Dave I dont think one of OCC's bikes are going to fall apart seeing as how they dont build the frames there selves they have a company that builds frames make theres. All OCC does is put the bikes together and does some body work to make them look pretty. The thing u were talking about them drilling after the paint I belive all they ever to after the powder coat is clean the holes so they can put the bike back together.

:Edit: Ahh one more thing Paul Jr. works mostly on the theme bikes and the other guys at the shop work on the customer bikes. Seeing as how most of those guys went to AMI(american motorcycle institute) they probably have a pretty good knowledge of what they are doing.

fallout11
01-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Jesse buys crate Harley engines for his bikes, same as Paul Sr.

FlameboyC11
02-26-2004, 01:43 AM
The entire idea behind the show (American chopper) is to give the general population the idea that these "choppers" are built by normal people, and thus, can relate to them. They show the fights, and the bad mistakes, but I'm sure alot of the normal stuff ends up on the cutting room floor. Ever notice the big sign outside their shop notifying anybody who comes in that they are licensed to be doing what they are doing. I assume that the state of NY has some sort of requirement for building vehicles in order to make them street legal. Plus, you never see them welding the frames of the bikes, which makes you think that they were purchased from a company who is more competent (structurally at least). They just decorate, and even then they outsource half the work. Not the greatest of shows, but interesting to watch, and beats the latest crap coming out of fox...

Crighton
02-26-2004, 05:02 PM
ALLA YOU...GET THE HELL BACK TA WORK.

LOOKIT THIS. THERE'S CIGARETTE PACKS ALL OVER THE TABLE...WHY THE HELL ISN'T THIS BIKE CHAINED DOWN?! WE GOTTA HAVE THIS THREAD READY FOR STURGIS IN THREE DAYS, AND, AS USUAL, NOBODY WANTS TA WORK.

::slams office door::

Originally posted by Toxic Dave
That friggin "American Chopper" show puts me right over the edge....

GOOD. YOU CAN HATE ALL YOU WANT AFTER YOU GET THAT GAH-DAMN CAMSHAFT ASSEMBLY ORDERED, NUMBNUTS!!!

DeeEight
02-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by AGD

Actually Paul Sr is a long time machinist as I recall. He made his fortune in metal fabrication and is now filthy stinking rich.