PDA

View Full Version : Needed GZ ups...Sorry

bratch
01-22-2004, 01:08 AM
I usually am not a big fan of these post but info is hard to find and sort through so here it goes.

I have been mildly interested in picking up a GZ (along with about 4 other guns... ohh the choices). I dig the plain body and what not (wierd in this day and age I know) and they are somewhat reasonably priced now. I have read the long thread on the 2k4 but don't really want to drop $1300.

So here is my question what ups does an old GZ need to absolutley sing. To me it seems alot of the new parts benefits can be added to the old guns; lighter bolt etc...

I am looking for performance. I have checked out the PBN boards but don't fell like waiding through jibberish so I'm asking on here instead.

Let me know your thoughts is it even a worth while project or should I just grab a 2k2 or the like; would that be cheaper in the long run? Remember milling isn't a biggy.

Mainly talking about the old gun metal gray/blue ones.

SpecialBlend2786
01-22-2004, 01:33 AM
I think the GZ's come with the SAB board instead of the Equalizer board. Changing that might speed the gun up a little, but i'm not sure. Not a timmy guy.

oldsoldier
01-22-2004, 01:38 AM
The normal SOB board is fine...I got a deal on a WAS. Other than that...it is a decent gun. Mine let me down at the NJAO...but, I think I had too low a pressure going into it. They recommend about 500 psi. The only aftermarket part you might want to look into would be a bolt...but, again, it really isnt necessary. These work great right from scratch.

bratch
01-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but these are LED. Similar to the old LED angels. Flip it on pull the trigger shoot a ball. Is this the same with WAS? Thanks guys.

Do all of the GZ have the high flow barbs?

oldsoldier
01-22-2004, 02:10 AM
Yes, they are LED. I dont know about the barbs though...

paintball8869
01-22-2004, 06:44 AM
all you need is a was board. Everything else will give you very very minute performance gains. Fine tune your trigger, just by the 3 screws that are provided, and learn how to shoot it. If you can learn how to shoot the gun (aka get comfortable with it), you'll be rippin it up. The gun is fast as all hell with a SOB in it, but with a WAS (and properly trained fingers) it's blazing, just like all timmys.

No, not all GZs have high flow barbs in them.

Yes it is an LED. Just flip it on and play. When you install a WAS board, it will work the exact same way. The WAS is also trigger programable for this reason (no LCD screen and buttons).

I'm sure you'd love a GZ if you got one, but first try and find a friend's or someone elses to try out. Just make sure you try a working one, not one that some kid just bought and broke the first day (cuz that's been known to happen).

speedyejl
01-22-2004, 07:19 AM
WAS
High Flow Barbs
Shocktech Ram Adj
PBK Snakeskin Bolt
Clamshell Frame (maybe get one with an LCD read out if you'd like)
CP Volumizer
Techna Trigger
WAS Switch

Angry Man
01-22-2004, 12:47 PM
I have an old GZ and it shoots fine, except not as fast as a WASed intimidator. If you have a halo you'll need a WAS board, otherwise the SOB board is fine (although you'll have to mess with its settings a little to get it right.)

You may want a new trigger, the stock one isn't great. You'll want to reverse the direction of the microswitch if it hasn't been reversed already since it gets rid of excessive trigger bounce and makes the pull a lot lighter. This is pretty easy to do, too.

High flow barbs help, but I've done fine without them. With them you might raise your efficiency a little, but they aren't needed.

The shocktech ram doesn't improve performance, it just lasts longer than the stock ram, where you have to replace the bumpers every once and a while. You'll only need an adjustable ram if you're chopping. Some guns are fine without them.

The stock bolt is fine, although it wears on the ball detents. Get the extra hard ones and they'll last longer.

A clamshell frame will improve your speed, but it's not worth the price. A little faster, a little more comfortable, but if you're gonna get one, just get a 2k2.

Volumizers increase efficiency, get one if you want. The WAS switch is pretty good (and you can order them for 7 dollars shipped through a guy on PBN), but flipping your microswitch achieves a similar effect for free.

Your stock plastic eye covers may break, so you might want to replace them.

bratch
01-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Wow thanks guys.

I am planning on trying to shoot a couple. One of my friends has A GZ as does his brother and my field is over ran with others so hopefully I can check a clamshell out.

sneakyhacker420
01-22-2004, 04:21 PM
go with a 2k2 and throw the WAS board in it, more bang for the buck

i'd also suggest a adjustable ram cap and clamping feed neck, other than that, it kicks *** straigh outta the box

FutureMagOwner
01-22-2004, 04:42 PM
i own a gz as well and heres somethings i did.

slapped on a pbk snatch grip

volumizer

high flow barbs

rewired the gun (some gz had some pretty crappy wiring its not that big of a deal to fix)

i got a warp feed adapter

some dye grips

aluminum eye covers

im thinking of picking up a dragon trigger (i know you have to mod it a bit)

and a pbk bolt and some hard ball detents for my halo b.

nice gun id sell it for the right price since i just got it completely operating properly. :D

sneakyhacker420
01-22-2004, 05:48 PM
don't bother with a dragon trigger, just get a mythic GZ trigger or a techna