PDA

View Full Version : My Warp Stinks... seriously

abarnhar
01-22-2004, 01:24 PM
I don't know if this is exactly a "technical" problem, but I would love some help on it.

I got a warp used and immediately noticed that it smelled rotten. It smells like some kind of food product gone bad. Can paint-fill go bad? If so, I bet that's what happened here.

Any recommendations on getting the stink out of it?

cphilip
01-22-2004, 01:33 PM
YA...its vegetable dyes and Gelatin is a base of animal product and can get a little rancid after a while.

There was a long thread way back about the "Cheesy smell" that can develop in these as well as in hoppers. Funny thread really. Someone suggested taking Ham and bread with you to the field and havng a nice lunch!

Not certain you can do very much as the plastics sort of absorb the odors somewhat. You can of course take it apart and clean it and let it air out a while. Its about all you can do.

homis
01-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Might baking soda or vinegar do the trick?

Thourne
01-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Here's an idea I heard to get the onion smell out of containers, it should work with plastic pb parts as well. Get a large ait tight/semi air-tight container (rubbermaid tub or large tupperware bowl). Take you hopper or warp apart and put it inside with a wet crumpled up piece newspaper (with the black ink). Make sure the ink isn't touching the product (it's wet and will stain) seal the container and let it sit for 24 hours. Then when you open the container throw the newspaper away and your stuff shouldn't stink anymore. The ink in the newspaper is carbon and carbon will absorb smells much like baking soda.

If that doesn't work I would recommend either a vinegar bath or putting the shells on the top rack of the dishwasher and running it a cycle or two, but the newspaper thing works wonders for onion smells so I would think it would work.

Let me know if this works with paintball equipment.

soccer4minimags
01-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Try some windex. When my hoppers smell funny thats what I use in them, seems to work alright plus it will get rid of that greasy residue paint sometimes leaves.

abarnhar
01-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, I was going to try Thourne's newspaper method, but didn't have to get that far. I left the shells and the friction discs in the sun for a couple of hours. When I came back from class, they smelled like warm plastic. I'll dig it out again today and see if the "cheese" returned.