PDA

View Full Version : Need some Opinions on Barrel Kits

ghed
01-22-2004, 06:21 PM
This is probably alrdy posted somewhere but Im too lazy to look :P

Atm I cant decide between an Edge kit, CP, or Kaner. Ive heard good things about the Kaner but nothing really on the other ones so any opinions welcome.

RoadDawg
01-22-2004, 06:23 PM
I personally like the Kaners. basically 3.5 barrels in a kit. Don't know much about the CP's or Edge kits though. Heard they are great kits as well though. Too each there own preference.

Zumina
01-22-2004, 07:10 PM
I love my CP 2 peices and J&J's offering continues to be one of my favorite barrels.

Crime Dog
01-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Wow. I haven't heard of any of those.

I really like my 5 piece Scepter Barrel kit though. Shoots darts...

RoadDawg
01-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Kaner kits are WGP barrels that come stock on the Orracles. If that helps any. They are a 2 piece barrel.

cphilip
01-22-2004, 08:20 PM
The J&J Edge kits are good. Great value. Basicaly a CP type kit. Backs and a front. Four backs and choice of front length in a ABS plastic case with egg crate foam. Decent case. Well made and fit nice. Two Piece system. Good range in the four backs. Really all you would need is there. $115 and that is "shipped" price for this one! I recommend this one. Very good value.

The Scepter is really nice. Insert system. Very nice fit on them. Very well made. the one I have is the Five piece inserts set, a cocker back and a 12" front in the kit in a soft pack case. This typer of kit would allow you to change backs and still use the inserts and front for muliple threaded markers. Thats a plus on these kinds of kits. About $150 or so for this one... maybe $165... for the five insert full kit. Shoots very well. I can recommend this one. Very versatile for a tiny bit more money from the Edge kit.

The Kaner I do not own nor have I ever owned one of these. At least at this point. Seem very nice. But I will have to let others tell you about it because I only speak of things I have personal experience with. This one was not out the last time I bought a kit so it was not considered in my purchasing. I would have certainly considered it. I hear good things about it.

I currently use and own the Scepter and the Edge kit. Both in Cocker threads. Happy with both of them.

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
01-23-2004, 02:04 AM
My Kaner does a good job. Good thing about it is if your buddy needs a barrel that you can just lend him one of yours...hoping that he doesnt need the same bore that you are using. It has 4 backs and 3 fronts. assembled the barrels are 10", 12", and 14". I mainly use the 14" incarnation of the barrel for the better air efficiency that goes along with it, or so I've noticed there to be. The back bores are .684, .687, .689, .691. The main reason I like my Kaner is who is going to have better cocker threading then a WGP barrel as well as the great price that I got on it.

bokraham
01-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by RoadDawg
Kaner kits are WGP barrels that come stock on the Orracles. If that helps any. They are a 2 piece barrel.

No way. orracles have just a 2 piece kaner barrel.

I'd say go with a kaner or septer.

fallout11
01-23-2004, 09:17 AM
This thread comes up about once a week now.

I'll "vote" for the CP barrel kit. I love mine.

Jonesie
01-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but can a few of you give me some feedback on the Evil Pipe?

I didn't want to start another Barrel Kit thread! :)

Thanks ~ Dave

Creative Mayhem
01-23-2004, 09:45 AM
I have to say J&J EDGE. Man I love this thing... simply the best kit I have tried. The cost is relatively low and you get an top notch barrel. I highly recommend it.

Dayspring
01-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Scepter kit.

Smooth finish, accurate bore sizes, self aligning inserts, top notch quality.

I don't recommend the Pipe system only b/c if you want to buy a new gun that has different threads, you need an entire new kit.

fallout11
01-23-2004, 10:56 AM
As has been mentioned many times before, there is no right or wrong answer here. Any of the kits names so far will do you proud.
Differences really come down to price, whether the system uses "inserts" or different bore back ends, and looks.

sneakyhacker420
01-23-2004, 12:04 PM
i'd suggest a scepter, freak, or equation kit

with any fo thoes 3, if you bought a new gun with different barrel threading, you would only have to buy a new back to it, rather than buying a whole 5-9 new backs for various bore sizes

i personally own 2 freak kits, and love them to death

sure its smart parts, but they shoot DARTS

and as far as the evil pipe goes... i won't bother

the bore sizes are spaced out too far apart... for example it jumps from .688 to .692... freak kit and scepter goes by .002's - .689 to .691, which would allow you to match your paint better

the evil pipe tips are also made of very thin aluminum, and if you go further down in this forum, theres someone who bent his pipe tip slightly when he hit it on the ground

and the tips are more expensive than any other kit that i know of... $59.95 for a barrel tip... come on guys!

RoadDawg
01-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by bokraham

No way. orracles have just a 2 piece kaner barrel.

I'd say go with a kaner or septer.
I knew that the orracle doesn't come with the kit. I was meaning that it's the same barrel that comes stock on one. Same barrel just not in a kit.

Lohman446
01-23-2004, 05:27 PM
I personally like my ACI Phat system - when my team and I (three of us have them) pick a size we are all using the same size markings for the same paint (this is not always true of other kits). They self clean reasonably well, though the ports do take some work to get clean, and they shoot well enough for my needs. I am impressed by the durability, and the three tips give you a variety of lengths. Acutally another length, in the rain I pull the whole tip off and play with just the back, keeps water out of the non-existant porting.

rtslave
01-23-2004, 09:51 PM
jonesei, I have a pipe. I'm really leaning towards getting 3-4 one piece Stiffi's. I haven't shot any of the other systems but Im not sold on the Pipe. I was at AO SoCal-v-NoCal and had lots of barrel breaks using 3 different types of paint and changing backs to match, but quality of paint my have some to so with that. Wanna buy one?

ghed
01-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Thx for the advice! I think Im going w/ a Kaner kit that way I can split the price w/ my brother.

Gundam V
01-24-2004, 01:44 AM
Hey, Jonesie I have a Pipe barrel kit my Eclipse Retromag and I love my to death. I think it's a great barrel kit and I have no complaints about it. I have a freak for my other mag and I wish they made Pipe kits with the twistlock. If you do decide to get one I don't think you would be disappointed in its performance. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me. Good luck with the barrel hunting.