PDA

View Full Version : Finally, an End to the Age Old Argument!

MrWallen
01-23-2004, 01:57 AM
The Question: Do we play paintball with 'guns' or 'markers'?

The Answer: If you shoot a Mag or any of the low-end guns, it clearly states on the side 'This GUN is not a toy.'

P.S: Ok, so I'm pretty sure it's printed on 'low-end' guns (like spyders), but I'm not positive. I am positive, though, that it is on the mag rail. Look for yourself!

pbzmag
01-23-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by MrWallen
The Question: Do we play paintball with 'guns' or 'markers'?

The Answer: If you shoot a Mag or any of the low-end guns, it clearly states on the side 'This GUN is not a toy.'

P.S: Ok, so I'm pretty sure it's printed on 'low-end' guns (like spyders), but I'm not positive. I am positive, though, that it is on the mag rail. Look for yourself!

It said that on my old Spyder A, but it rubbed off.

purplemag
01-23-2004, 05:20 AM
I think the reason we don't always say gun, is to have a better image for the public eye. We are marking other people with non lethal paint in a safe game using a "marker". Automatically when you use the word gun, there is a bad stigma attached in some people eyes. I agree they are air powered guns, but it is better to be PC and call them markers to the rest of the world.

FreakBaller12
01-23-2004, 06:39 AM
they are guns in the same sense that they shoot projectiles, but they aren't lethal and thye aren't as dangerous as real guns, with markers people aren't alarmed, when you say gun they think of people getting hurt and killed, and they'll be like" i don't want my baby getting shot" or something like that.

Furby
01-23-2004, 07:14 AM
"Marker" is a the technically correct term...as the sport's equipment came from markers used to mark cows, trees and the like.

shartley
01-23-2004, 07:49 AM
We play with both. One is the technical name, it IS a gun… but so is a nail gun, staple gun, etc. But for PR reasons, as well as the “use”, we call them Markers as well. You will see them listed as BOTH.

I generally call them Markers, but have had to call them Guns from time to time depending on the situation.

fallout11
01-23-2004, 08:26 AM
I've also seen them referred to as "projectors" and "launchers", in other countries.

However, New York City, with arguably the most stringent weapon-control laws in the US, defines a paintball marker as a "gun".
No matter what color it is, or what you call it.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
01-23-2004, 08:58 AM
It is just like calling drinks pop, soda, coke, they are all referrring to the same thing, but everyone uses a different one...

cphilip
01-23-2004, 09:04 AM
When I read this title I fully expected to find you had determined Mags were better than cockers... :D

Yea the key is they are not "Firearms".

In the case or the warning label I believe they go ahead and use the term Gun so it will indeed warn people that it can be dangerous. Its more for first time buyers not familiar with the term Marker. To use Marker at that point would leave the manufacturer open to liability. "I didn't know what a marker was!. I thought it was a Sharpie or something". And thats counter to exactly what the statement is ment to avoid.

Vendetta
01-23-2004, 09:53 AM
My x-mag says it under the battery case.

I wish I knew it was a low-end gun before I paid so much for it:rolleyes:

MrWallen
01-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Vendetta
My x-mag says it under the battery case.

I wish I knew it was a low-end gun before I paid so much for it:rolleyes:

Didn't know it said it on the x-mag.

And I agree that the PC name IS marker, I''m just saying that it is a little bit odd to call it that when it clearly says 'gun' right there on the rail.

Btw: I do use the term marker as often as I can, especially when dealing with people not familiar with the sport.

50 cal
01-23-2004, 06:23 PM
I've called 'em "paintball guns" since the beginning. Will still call 'em guns.

lew
01-23-2004, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cphilip
[B]When I read this title I fully expected to find you had determined Mags were better than cockers... :D

My thoughts exactly.

My Spyder had the word "gun" in the warning, until I rubbed it off.

gibby
01-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Marker? Gun? It's interchangeable. But regardless of which one is politically correct, it doesn't matter if you say "marker" toward someone who already has a different opinion. When they look at our "markers" they see something that basically looks like a "gun." I use depending on who I'm talking to. I'll usually refer to them as "guns" when talking with other players, but say "marker" when someone doesn't know about it and try to explain the terms and the rough history as to why it's called that way.

RRfireblade
01-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by 50 cal
I've called 'em "paintball guns" since the beginning.

As a Mag owner,I call 'em "Paintguns" 'cause when you shoot a Mag you might not get a ball out,only the paint.

(ducks and runs for cover from the over sensitive mag owners)

Jay.

hAppy
01-23-2004, 11:54 PM
i hate this neverending argument
i will say markers for the sake of paintball
but when someone sees it, they will say its a gun, and its basically what it really is. its hard to argue against that fact

to me, and everyone else, a gun is a "thing" that "projects" another "thing", like a watergun, and probably a glue gun?