PDA

View Full Version : BPS poll

bryceeden
01-23-2004, 12:49 PM
It was suggested in Mephs thread, so what do you think.

RRfireblade
01-23-2004, 01:00 PM
I would say redefine and enforce what constitutes a legal trigger set up.Then if your fast,YOUR fast.

fallout11
01-23-2004, 01:52 PM
I thought I'd post this here.
This is an excerpt from an article written several years ago now, but it's funny how "what goes around comes around"

"....
First a little background information...
At the 1998 Chicago Open the All Americans were accused of cheating the rules with guns that were programmed to go full auto. Many teams protested but the AAs were allowed to use Turbo mode for the rest of the tournament. After the tournament the NPPL decided that Turbo was not true semi but enhanced semi. They ruled that any gun firing more than one ball per trigger pull but no more than one and a half balls per pull were legal and as long as they could not fire over nine balls per second. Since that time Turbo modes have been added by aftermarket companies for most electro-pneumatic guns, like the Gabriel boards. However the "new" Turbo modes were different than the Shocker's Turbo mode. The Shocker relies on bounces between the electronic connection of the trigger switch, in semi mode the software ignores these bounces, to increase the rate of fire. The new Turbo boards were software controlled to deliver exactly one and a half balls per trigger pull. You pull the trigger twice you get three balls, pull the trigger four times you get six balls etc...

So now everybody had Turbo mode and all were happy... well almost all. Many people felt that Turbo mode was unsafe. That the gun would continue firing after you stopped pulling the trigger. Many insurance companies would not let Turbo mode be used on fields they insured. Some even went as far to describe in detail what a trigger pull is. However some people argued that non-Turbo guns did not have a rate of fire limit and could at times be fired faster. Days before this years LA open the NPPL ruled Turbo mode illegal for the upcoming season.

Right away a lot of people were pissed off. Especially those who had just purchased Turbo upgrades for their guns. The ban on Turbo has already trickled down to most of the other tournament circuits.

For me Turbo will not be missed. I didn't agree with it. Basically because the way I see it none of the Turbo guns fire less than one and a half balls for each trigger pull. Shockers Turbo has an insane number of extra balls come out of it. The other Turbo guns fired two balls on each second trigger pull, giving you two balls for that one pull. But the real reason is that Turbo is not needed to play or even advance the game. In my opinion it puts way to much on the gun rather than the player shooting it. For someone that trains his or her finger to twitch twelve or more times per second they should be rewarded, not the guy with chubby fingers who can't manage more than five.

Some people have expressed concern that if they start limiting our equipment then soon we will all be using pumps and twelve grams again. We are already limited by our loaders and the fact that we are human. I highly doubt that anytime soon electronic guns will be made illegal, or that upgrades such as photo eyes will be made illegal. The only things that won't be allowed are "enhanced" triggers, and that's the way it should be!"

By Mike Smith, About.com Paintball Guide

Brophog
01-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Sorry, but I don't like the options. I'd certainly vote for both outlawing of trigger bounce and for a reasonable bps.

Meph
01-23-2004, 02:09 PM
The cap indeed should be reasonable. 15 balls in one second is very reasonable, and up to par with today's standard of paint dumping. It's not 20, it's not 30. But it sure is enough that most everybody should be satisfied. If you think you need more than 15bps buy some game not paint.

With this all trigger bounce should be outlawed any ways. The NPPL rules clearly state already that current bouncing-triggers are illegal. So there isn't anything special needed, just ENFORCEMENT of the current rule actually.

elpimpo
01-23-2004, 02:41 PM
who cares. if your gun can do it then let it do it

bryceeden
01-23-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm with RRfireblade nothing but true semi, and let them be as fast as they can.

Beemer
01-23-2004, 05:11 PM
How many guns out now do not conform to this?

semi-automatic mode marker—a semi-automatic
marker discharges one time with each trigger cycle. Markers
that “store” the number of trigger pulls and discharge more
than one paintball at some point do not meet this definition.
Markers that operate in any other discharge mode(s) do not
meet this definition.

lamby
01-28-2004, 01:27 AM
to answer that question. Anything with a was board or AGD 3.2 software does not comply with that rule.

Beemer
01-28-2004, 08:08 AM
Anything with a was board

Well I know less about Anything, then Rogue knows about cockers and he said he knows nothing about them.

So help me out here whats anything?

Whats the DM4 got. I saw that vid and I would bet big it aint 1 shot 1 pull.

I would say redefine and enforce what constitutes a legal trigger set up.Then if your fast,YOUR fast.

True semi, then if your fast :eek: :D

edit to add. Thanks for that post fallout11

fallout11
01-28-2004, 08:20 AM
My pleasure. I live to serve.

"To Serve Man...."

teufelhunden
01-28-2004, 12:33 PM
I feel that if you can pull 83 bps without bouncing, you should be able to shoot 83 bps.