PDA

View Full Version : Polished Bodies

Sharpshooter22
01-24-2004, 05:57 PM
I'm interested in polishing my mag body, and I know there was a post here SOMEWHERE but I can't find it. Does anyone know how, or someone else who does it for cheap. Is there any disadvantage to having this done to your mag (like will it rust and such)

argnot
01-25-2004, 12:38 AM
first off mag bodies (non ule) are stainless so they won't rust under normal conditions period. If you are going to do it your self the easiest way to do it is with a buffing wheel and buffing compond. you have to sand off the poweder coat with some fine grit sand paper (automotive) and then use the wheel. It will look also like chrome when you are done or you can use steel wool but the shine is not as good. As far as some one that does it cheap no.

Joni
01-25-2004, 04:31 AM
I've done this, and its not hard, just takes a lot of time. As stated above, start with sanding the powdercoat away with fine grit paper, and then polish, polish and polish.

Getting it to look good around the powerfeel was a pain, but I got it after some work. Everything is nice and shiny now =)

ChucktheMAGician
01-25-2004, 03:32 PM
AS mentioned it will take some time and preparations. Start by reading and saving this thread;) http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43671

Southpaw
01-26-2004, 05:44 PM
I dont know if it says it in that link but tape off the bottom where the rail touches the body and do not sand or polish that part!! If you do you may end up changing your tolerances and create some odd problems!

athomas
01-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Start sanding with a good 220 grit paper. Wet sanding is best as it keeps the paper clean. Once you get the sandblsted area smooth, move to a smoother paper such as a 400 - 600 grit. Once this is totally smooth move to your final sanding at 1500 grit or higher. The part should be really shiney after this point. Polish using a good chrome polish to get a mirror like finish.

Its that easy. It just takes a few hours of elbow work.

Don't worry about masking any areas off. The amount of metal you are removing is so small, it will not have an effect on the operation of the gun.