PDA

View Full Version : Level 10 Chuffing at me

Plazmic
01-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Okay, I thought I had this level 10 working, but when I pull the trigger all I get is a chuff. I've tried different springs and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Can anyone give me an idea what's going on here?

Carbon
01-25-2004, 11:07 PM
start with your smallest spring, then turn up your velocity adjustment screw until it fires.

Plazmic
01-25-2004, 11:27 PM
That's just the thing. I turn up my velocity screw until it vents out the back and still I never get more than a single shot out. I might get the first, but not the second.

abunkerer
01-25-2004, 11:31 PM
maybe your carrier is too small, try moving up in sizes untill it leaks, then go down one.

Plazmic
01-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I tried that. I'm on the 2.5. The 3 leaks and the 2 is worse. I'm stumped!

danheneise
01-26-2004, 12:23 AM
have you tried a different carrier o-ring?

Plazmic
01-26-2004, 12:26 AM
I will give that a shot, but the bolt moves freely. I really thought it was too loose and expected air leakage, but it didn't. I'll try that, though.

Plazmic
01-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Okay, I used a different o-ring and that did it, kinda. It fires, now, with the smallest spring only. Not any of the others. I had it chronoed today and it topped at 180 fps. I'd really like to get above that. Any suggestions.?

lbonettosd
01-27-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm going thru the same thing with my mag. I found out through some reading that it may be that the reg piston is old and needs to be replaced. The older reg pistons are setup to vent at a lower pressure or something like that. So I went to the AGD store and bought a new spring pack and reg piston. I should get them in any day now and I'll let you know how it goes if you want.

abunkerer
01-27-2004, 04:46 PM
The level 10 needs a higher pressure to operate than a level 7. So some older regs, or ones with just with weaker spring packs may vent before they get up to the needed working pressure. this is probably your problem; If you are using the largest carrier you can get away with, and the smallest spring, and you can not get the gun over 200fps without venting from the back.
Dont forget to use lots of lube.

Plazmic
01-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Wait, crap! That's a typo. :p It's at 280! Heh. yeah, my brain's in the crapper today.

I was thinking of getting the new piston anyway, though, because it's got a higher vent pressure. It's set for the LVL 10 pressures. I'll go ahead and order it, I think.

I would like to push it to 290 fps for the outdoor field games we play where the max is right at 300.

abunkerer
01-27-2004, 06:29 PM
either way, 180/280 getting the level 10 to shoot over 300 should not be a problem when the set up is working properly...

-people sometimes cant get their level 10's to work at lower fps because of the increased pressure needed for LX translates into increased air pressure behind the ball. getting the gun to work reliably around or under 280fps (for indoor use) is a common issue for people.

Plazmic
01-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Hmmm...so I should maybe try to get to a larger carrier and the next spring up, eh? I'll give it a shot. It's been a day. Who knows what's been going on in there since I worked on it yesterday...! :D

abunkerer
01-27-2004, 07:44 PM
no, going bigger on the spring will mean that you will have to turn the velocity up.
the level 10 needs increased air pressure to move the bigger springs. and if you are leaking air already then you will definately leak air if you set it up for the longer springs.

(in the other post I was just trying to describe how it might be difficult to get the gun to fire under 280 with the larger springs, because of the pressure needed)

but yes, go bigger on the carrier size.

Plazmic
01-27-2004, 08:16 PM
I'll give that another shot. I ordered a new piston from AGD, too, so that will help.