PDA

View Full Version : Barrel for impulse

Ross57969
01-25-2004, 09:56 PM
I have a rat impulse and I ordered a 2 piece ultralite, but they shipped the wrong tip so the barrel was 10in totaal. Well i have to call monday and i was wondering what size i should get. I was thinking 12, or 14 (total)
I play mostly mid/up. tell me what you think

(DONT HAVE MONEY FOR 2 inserts)

funkykarl
01-25-2004, 10:10 PM
If I were you, I'd keep the 10 inch front. It's always been my favorite barrel length... great for snapshooting, which I'm sure you do lots of playing front/mid. But if you're choosing between 12 and 14, I'd go 12... the extra two inches will get in the way more than it will help shot groupings.

Ross57969
01-25-2004, 10:15 PM
hmm intersting. Anyone else think i should keep the 10 inch?

sslecyk03
01-25-2004, 10:22 PM
if ur playing front/mid, definately keep the 10 incher. What you lose in accuracy (not noticeable), you will make up for in being able to stay tighter in those bunkers.

68magOwner
01-25-2004, 10:23 PM
i would keep the 10in too, i play front,and currently use a 8.5in barrel. i have a 12in too, but i find that i never use it. the extra inches off really make a difference in snapping and really squeezing in your bunker.

tony3
01-25-2004, 11:05 PM
10in barrels were cool in '96. Either get 14 or 16. Personally, I used to have a 10in UL on my impy and it was just so stupid. I could move bunkers around or anything. I had a 16 on my shocker and loved it. I play from with my old school shocker, 16 AA, and 68/30 with no drop. It isn't really hard to play tight with a bigger setup. Notice how good tourney players are rocking no drops and longer barrels? Its because you need to learn how to use sup air bunkers to your advantage. Just get a 16 tip and if you absoulety hate it, just buy a 12 or 14, I think they are only 30 bucks.

Ross57969
01-25-2004, 11:14 PM
ok... i was going to stick with the 10, but now i am on the fence again.

speedyejl
01-25-2004, 11:17 PM
If your a serious tournament baller the 10in wont cut it for you. Your talking to mag owners which are made up by a lot of recballers who have no problem shooting around earthen/wood bunkers with a 10in tip. With air bunkers 16 or 18 is more reasonable to tuck in closer for a smaller profile.

tyrion2323
01-25-2004, 11:18 PM
On my mag I use both a 10 and a 14. The 10 is probably the better one in terms of actual snap shooting, etc...but the 14 inch makes me feel good - like a sneeze, but better.

tony3
01-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by speedyejl
If your a serious tournament baller the 10in wont cut it for you. Your talking to mag owners which are made up by a lot of recballers who have no problem shooting around earthen/wood bunkers with a 10in tip. With air bunkers 16 or 18 is more reasonable to tuck in closer for a smaller profile.

this kid knows what hes talkin about:)

Ross57969
01-25-2004, 11:23 PM
well im not really a tourney guy. Ive been to a few, did ok, but i usally play at rec fields with wooden bunkers. I think i will just stick with the 10 and if i get more serious buy a 12, or a 14 in tip.

funkykarl
01-25-2004, 11:24 PM
I know it would be a pretty tough thing to do right now, being it winter and all (plus you needing to return the tip on a timely basis) but the best thing for you to do would be to borrow some friends setups next time you go out and play and see what you prefer. Heck, just go to the local shop and try popping around corners with the display guns with different length barrels. Okay, so maybe don't do that, but I think you get my point. As far as what the pro's are doing these days... whatever. And what is it with drops being so uncool all of the sudden (especially on timmys)?

speedyejl
01-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by tony3

this kid knows what hes talkin about:)

Thanks I regret the 14in tip on my powerlyte every time I play, wish I would have gotten a 16 or if they made 18in tips, but I think I'm about to score a 18in Pipe kit from a friend, hell yea.

tony3
01-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by funkykarl
As far as what the pro's are doing these days... whatever. And what is it with drops being so uncool all of the sudden (especially on timmys)?

Most pros use timmys, pros dont like drops therefore most timmys don't have drops. Paintball has became completely different in the last few years. Look at old pics on warpig and you'll notice people with 10in drops and people with hopper 10inches over there head. Now, people want the lowest possible profile. Drops higher your profile, no doubt about it. People always blabber on about "Oh I need a drop or I can't even shoot my gun." I used to always use um and always thought the long the better. Well, then I switched to straight duckbill and it took alittle getting used to, but now it feels so much more natural. With drops your hand needs to be "goosenecked" much more to get to the trigger. With no drop your hand can remain straighter and more formed to the grip. People realized that you can still play tighter with no drop and a longer barrel and use it to your advantage. Playing tight no longer has to do with short setups with huge drops. It's all about how well a player can play his or her bunker.

sslecyk03
01-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Ok dont listen to these people who are telling you to return it for a 16 or 18 inch tip. Sure for airball it makes it easier to push bunkers but that might not be what you are looking for. Keep the 10 inch, try it out, see if it fits YOUR playing style not someone elses, if u like it then keep it, otherwise just buy a longer tip.

At_da_Fifty
01-26-2004, 08:07 PM
I have a 14" dye tip I'll trade for your 10" :)

tony3
01-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by speedyejl

Thanks I regret the 14in tip on my powerlyte every time I play, wish I would have gotten a 16 or if they made 18in tips, but I think I'm about to score a 18in Pipe kit from a friend, hell yea.

Meh, 18 is alittle to long for me. I would be able to play with it for sure, but 16 is perfect for me. I still can't believe I ever bought a 10in barrel :(

funkykarl
01-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by tony3

Most pros use timmys... Drops higher your profile

With drops your hand needs to be "goosenecked" much more to get to the trigger. With no drop your hand can remain straighter and more formed to the grip.

Not sure about the first two (no matter where the drop puts the tank, I'm probably gonna hold my gun to where I'm comfortable aiming off the barrel, slightly lower than my head), but the second part is a good point for those who need to be able to walk the trigger in games. I'm not a fan of huge drops myself, but I've been made fun of for having a smaller 2-3 inch drop on my gun. That's more the type of thing I was referring to. Anyways, uh, barrel length...

tony3
01-26-2004, 08:21 PM
With no drop, I got my tank right in the lower pocket of my shoulder, with a drop I'm going to put it in the same spot, making my profile higher, it's not like with a drop I'm going to put the tank at my hip...Also, for front guys when you are laying on the group, you have no control over where you tank sits, so once again your drops is going to higher your profile. I have seen so many kids with dz2's in the snake and profiles so high there guns stick over the end of the snake.