PDA

View Full Version : Car shopping

banzaimf
01-26-2004, 04:57 AM
I was out car shopping today. I have to say, there are some really nice cars out there. The Saab 9-3's actually look good, the Volvo v70r and s60r are cool too. I have all the financing already and have a preapproved check for whatever I get. I am probably going to get a Volkswagen R32, but decided that I owe it to myself to try the competition before I buy the R32.

I have an appointment later this week to test drive an Evo 8, working on finding a subaru dealership that will treat me like a grownup (Carter Subaru can kiss my butt :mad: ) so I can test an STI. Tested a 350Z today.

No real point, but I've been giddy and decided to share.

Twisted Greed
01-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Performance wise an R32 will be left seeing the tail lights of the Evo, STi, and 350 all day long. The S70 and S60 are awesome cars just a little bulky for backroad spirited driving.

Test driving an STi is difficult to do, the first three times i went to do it they only let me drive a WRX, I had to show them that my checkbook was ready to pop out for them to let me take it for a spin.

Just a question, but why the R32, any particular reason.

Downfall
01-26-2004, 11:40 AM
I have a Subaru, best car I've ever owned. But if you have the money buy the Evo, it has much better handling than the STI, you can get the STi to handle great but you have to drop a bunch of money on it. Both of them are really fast! Don't get a VW, my borther is a mechanic at a VW dealership the cars are simply not as reliable and well made as they used to be, a lot of their parts and assembly is now done in Mexico, not Germany.

Butterfingers
01-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Get somthing turbocharged from the factory... doubling the horsepower when you get bored is easier than giving away doughnuts at a cop convention.

Yeah im addicted to boost...

The evo is only good if you plan on racing it... for a Daily driver the STi wins hands down... Much more forgiving and a MUCH better ride quality. Sitting in an evo is like driving a car with no suspension. You can feel every single pebble in the road.

banzaimf
01-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. As for why a VW, I guess I'm a fanboy now. The vr6 is such a great engine to the way I drive. Gobs of torque from the get go. The R32 is being made in Europe, Slovakia to be exact, same place as the Touraeg IIRC.

As for performance. The other cars are faster, but not by a huge margin. At least according to the Tire Rack who did a test on their course with stock rubber.

"So as you probably guessed, the STi and Evo must have been close. In fact, they were extremely close. Final lap times resulted in the STi taking the overall best time by 1/10th of a second (in the hands of one of a Vortex staffers no less). The Evo and STi came within less than 1/100th on the top 10 averaged times. Owing perhaps to the comfort level people felt in the Evo over the STi at the limts, the averaged times closed the gap between the two cars. The drivers that were willing to put their faith in the STi were rewarded with slightly faster lap times (although still only by a tenth of a second).

The R32 obviously couldn't hold up to the STi and Evo, especially with the stock tires as it was very easy to overdrive them after getting out of the other two cars. The R32's best time fell within 7 to 8/10ths of a second of the STi and Evo's best times (in the hands of one of The Tire Rack testers), however the R32's top 10 average was about a second off. Given better tires, the R32 probably could have been right in the thick of it according to The Tire Rack. It still doesn't have the power of the STi and Evo, but it has quite nearly a true track suspension straight from the dealership owing perhaps to the fact that it was only designed to be a street car whereas the STi and Evo might be used off-road in a rally cross."

Anyways, Like I said, I test drove a 350Z last night and I really liked it, but their isn't ANY room at all. I mean the trunk wouldn't hold a set of golf clubs, without the bag! So, I am going to a Subie dealer today and see if I can line up a test drive of an STI.

banzaimf
02-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Evo 8 is FAST!!!!!!

but sparse. It was starting to snow in amongst the downpour of rai so the dealer wasn't keen on letting me get to jiggy with it. But it does have a tight steering rack and very little turbo lag.