PDA

View Full Version : New "Freak" like lower cost barrel systems

salomon16
09-13-2001, 10:58 PM
Ive seen all these new interchangable bore barrels that all the barrel manufacturers are coming out with. Theres the new Jr. Freak -are these any good (anyone heard anything about them?). Theyre only 80 bucks at action village, non for mags though. theres also the new ACI "phat" barrel which is another insert bore type barrel going for about 160. Also theres the CP one. Which one is the best? Are these worth the money (ive never used one before), Please share your thoughts.

BradPalooza
09-14-2001, 06:22 AM
I use a Freak barrel and find it invaluable. At a tournament last weekend, I started at one bore size and towards the end of the day started breaking paint. It seems the paint swelled during the day and I had to go up several sizes.

I haven't heard anything about other systems but imagine they will work just as well as a Freak.

thei3ug
09-14-2001, 12:04 PM
Uhhh, there HAVE been interchangeable breech barrel systems LONG before the freak came out.

First coming to mind: Lapco
then: OTP G2
then: bobby system
then: J&J
then: Custom Products
then: otp G3 "dream series"

only problem is, no one cared. until smarts parts did it. why? cause theirs cost more.

Puckz
09-14-2001, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by thei3ug

only problem is, no one cared. until smarts parts did it. why? cause theirs cost more.

I disagree...

IMO Smart Parts was the first to do it right.

OldSchoolMag
09-15-2001, 02:58 PM
Yes, I prefer the FREAK to all of the others I have seen, because to me it costs more because it works better. That Lapco one REALLY sucked.

But then again, this is just an opinion based against an opinion...

Shoot 'em all - decide for yourself.

Dubstar112
09-15-2001, 03:07 PM
hey im not sure if it was a coincedince or any thing but when i opend that file i got a werm virus.. anyone else get it?

Sqweezer
09-15-2001, 06:42 PM
Uhh, I hope not..

I opened this and nothing happened, it better not be a worm, though I don't think pictures can hold worms within them.

Dubstar112
09-15-2001, 06:50 PM
i should have opened from location, i dont know maybe i got the virus through a music d/l program. but either way i still cant see that pic!

mac2k4
09-15-2001, 06:58 PM
i've seen people buy freaks, and sell'em to get CP kits, and viseversa, its all preference.
i personally like'em all mainly the
dark barrel/CP
Freak
JT avalanche.
J&J

But the ones i've used that sucks is the 2 OTP ones i've used, the G-3 dream series, and the G-1 w/ interchangable sizers.

just my preference?

Bigzamboni
09-15-2001, 07:02 PM
Lapco made a barrel insert system? Where can I see something about this? What is the bobby system?

Chaos
09-16-2001, 01:04 AM
Just so everyone knows, if you count all the no-name brands and the newer companys most people dont know about, there are about 10-20 different interchangable bore barrels out there.

First look at the design, the OTP's only had the first 1/2 inch on the original, the newer ones only have about 2"s that are actually the bore size. The freak is around 5" or so? Lets remember that the first 6" (around there) are required to meet the initial velocity, the rest is just to stabalize the ball. Think about that when you choice which barrel you want. Personally I really love the new twin-ported barrel, its the WP or something like that. My friend just got it (I'd like to do a comparison, he had the old OTP, the new OTP, freak, the new twinported barrel, the CP, etc), its EXTREMELY light, and this thing is honed like no other. The inside is soooo smooth, you cant even see the transition really. We're testing it this weekend, so far this thing is NICE