PDA

View Full Version : HP air and Oil question

BlackHalo
01-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Ok, so my friend gets a new air tank (ACI Bulldog 3) and in the instructions it says to put a drop of oil in the fill nipple before airing it up.

This sounds wierd to me. I thought HP and Oil don't mix. To be fair they specified their oil so it might be *special* High Pressure oil. But I thought you should never put oil into a HP air tank.

If I'm wrong, what kind of oil is ok?

I just don't want to blow up.

Edit - Here's a link to their manual in .pdf format...on the 3rd page it clearly points out that a couple drops of "Air Lube" should be used on the fill nipple and the ASA.

http://www.airconcepts.com/ACI_Ecom-Website/Stuff/Manuals/BulldogIII.pdf

Deep Sixx
01-28-2004, 05:10 PM
NEVER do that.

High pressure air + heat (from compression) + atomized oil = KABOOM!!

Seach WARPIG and you'll find a warning about this. This is the principal by which a diesel engine works. Unless you only ever use 100% nitrogen (not air, which contains oxygen), it will catch fire.

sixx

Joni
01-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Unbelievable! How can a company that sells HPA tanks write something like that!!!

Brophog
01-28-2004, 05:31 PM
You must use a specific synthetic oil. KC Trouble Free makes a Nitro formula for this purpose.

But whatever you do, don't use standard air tool oil (paintball oil).

cphilip
01-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Nonsense. Thier oil is the same as any air tool oil. Air tool oils are all synthetic. But they will burn. All of them. I sell ya some "Nitro Formula" if you wanna buy that hype! It's nonsense. You can tell em I said so.

Never do this. Never. It was an old trick to get crap out of a sticking leaky fill nipple. Its not worth it. Replace the nipple.

More importantly and related this thread directly.... I read you link to thier users manual, four times! And have yet to find where they say to do this. I read all four pages of it. Four times. I must be missing something or its just not there.

I just read page three AGAIN!!! Not there!

Joni
01-28-2004, 06:08 PM
It newer says so in the text. It actually says that you should never get oil or dirt into the fill-nipple, and thats all good, but then there is a pic that says you should oil the asa-oring and the fill-nipple. Not very obvious, but bad enough.

BlackHalo
01-28-2004, 06:10 PM
3rd page
left paragraph
near the bottom
under the "Connecting your power system" header

it has
Important!
Apply several
drops of Air Lube to both
places shown, prior to installation

and 2 arrows - one to the fill nipple and one to the threads/ASA area.

cphilip
01-28-2004, 06:15 PM
LOL ! NOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!

They are talking about the outside of the nipples!!! Not filling them!!! CONNECTING THEM! like too your quick connects!!! NOT IN THEM. It does not say that at all. Your totaly misreading it.

Joni
01-28-2004, 06:19 PM
OH:eek:
Youre right. But heres a thougt: If we misread it, what says that someone else wont? Almost as bad, because the result will be the same. The fact is, putting oil IN the fillnipple = bad news.

cphilip
01-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by BlackHalo
Ok, so my friend gets a new air tank (ACI Bulldog 3) and in the instructions it says to put a drop of oil in the fill nipple before airing it up.[/url]

Before connecting it is what it says and it does not say IN it. It says ON it. And on the LP regulated side thats fine. You oil your marker through those lines don't ya? Well its because its only 800-900 psi. But it does not say IN the nipple. It means ON the nipple to make your quick connect slide on and not stick. Then any oil would be blown into the marker and removed. Thats fine.

But not into the nipple before filling the tank. They do not mean that at all. In fact earlier they tell you to avoid dirt debris AND OIL getting into your tank. Don't they? See?

cphilip
01-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Joni
OH:eek:
Youre right. But heres a thougt: If we misread it, what says that someone else wont? Almost as bad, because the result will be the same. The fact is, putting oil IN the fillnipple = bad news.

Thats a good point. I bet they never thought anyone would misread it. Might be something they should think carefully about rewriting. Maybe.

BlackHalo
01-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Ok good, so I'm right, you're not supposed to put oil in it.

Glad I told my friend to hold off until I verified.

Joni
01-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

Before connecting it is what it says and it does not say IN it. It says ON it. And on the LP regulated side thats fine. You oil your marker through those lines don't ya? Well its because its only 800-900 psi. But it does not say IN the nipple. It means ON the nipple to make your quick connect slide on and not stick. Then any oil would be blown into the marker and removed. Thats fine.

But not into the nipple before filling the tank. They do not mean that at all. In fact earlier they tell you to avoid dirt debris AND OIL getting into your tank. Don't they? See?

Youre right about most things, but the arrow DOES point at the fill nipple. Not the lp side (and yes, thats ok to oil). It's very easy for someone without knowledge to misread, and put oil in the nipple. I would never do that now, but I might have when I was a noob.

cphilip
01-28-2004, 06:34 PM
I agree the picture is misleading. But its under the heading Connecting your system or mounting your system. AFTER filling was discussed where one of the things it told you was not to get oil in the tank.

And it points to the place you would do two things. One is put a nipple cover on. Which in the earlier section it urged you to do. And one the other is where you will screw it in. Like to keep the threads from sticking.

So its all about where it located and what it has you doing at that step. So as I read it I just did not misread it because of where it was located in the process of reading the whole document. You are guilty of skimming over and just looking at the pictures! :D

Joni
01-28-2004, 06:39 PM
guilty as charged:D

BlackHalo
01-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Heck...Manuals are for women and the incompentent!

:)

I only read books with pictures!

FreakBaller12
01-28-2004, 06:47 PM
so all in all guys?
how many AOers does it take to figure out directions?

cphilip
01-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Hahahahahahaa....

But your right... that picture is misleading. So just don't read the manual!!! :D