PDA

View Full Version : "Playing Paintball" vs. "Paintballing"

Jonesie
01-29-2004, 11:05 AM
OK, I'm not one to get all worked up about symantecs, but this one really irks me! It's more of an annoyance than anything - certainly not something I lose sleep over...

I hear a LOT of people refer to paintball as a verb by adding -ing or -ed to the end, usually saying phrases like "I went paintballing today" or "How many of you paintball?" This seems so uneducated and silly to me. :)

Conversly, how many of you do this will other sports? Have you ever said, I went baseballing today? Or basketballing or even footballing? I don't understand the difference between paintball and other *ball sports...

You input is much appreciated.

Thanks ~ Dave

TraXeR
01-29-2004, 11:10 AM
To me, I find it's just preferemce in how you want say it. Everyone knows what it means. It's just like the "marker/gun" debate. I just say which ever comes to mind first.

If you want to get into grammer semantics, then yes it "play paintball", but people who REALLY get annoyed with how I say it just need to chill out.

Just my 2 cents.

Mindflux
01-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Uhm.

It's the name of the sport, as well as part of it.

How is it different from, bowling, swimming, skating, surfing, hiking, fishing, camping, running."

It's not, it describes the sport or activity. WHen you say "lets go paintballing" people know exactly what you mean.

It would be MUCH more aggrevating to say

"lets go shoot some dye filled geleatin capsules at eachother".

funkykarl
01-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Well, not only am I a paintballer, I'm a hockeyer. Hey, I'm even a tenniser, I tennis all the time...

Perhaps it's that paintball is considered somewhat of an extreme sport? I know that I did go snowboarding last weekend, and that I haven't gone skateboarding in months. That's the only explaination I can think of...

Jonesie
01-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Mindflux
How is it different from, bowling, swimming, skating, surfing, hiking, fishing, camping, running."

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you never hear it in reference to other *ball sports. I don't get worked up over it or anything, so there's no need to chiil-out. :) It's just something I've noticed.

I guess more than anything it's one of those things that separates seasoned players from newbies. Kinda like "what finger you shoot with"...

Thanks for the input, keep it coming! :)

Later ~ Dave

funkykarl
01-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Yeah, also, paintballing doese't bother me so much, but what does is when people say, "yeah, i'm a 'baller", or, "man, we gotta go 'ballin!"... damn timmy owners... anybody else ever hear/hate that?

RRfireblade
01-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Jonesie
OK, I'm not one to get all worked up about symantecs, but this one really irks me!

Apparently......now you are one.:D

*captain_cox*37
01-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by funkykarl
Yeah, also, paintballing doese't bother me so much, but what does is when people say, "yeah, i'm a 'baller", or, "man, we gotta go 'ballin!"... damn timmy owners... anybody else ever hear/hate that?

I actually say it a lot but I hate the way it sounds. Most ppl dont think of paintball when they hear it. But I am extreme lazy and its easier to say. Takes was to much energy to say "man we gotta go paintballing".

funkykarl
01-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by *captain_cox*37

I actually say it a lot but I hate the way it sounds. Most ppl dont think of paintball when they hear it. But I am extreme lazy and its easier to say. Takes was to much energy to say "man we gotta go paintballing".

Haha, I hear ya man. Being a fairly lazy person when it comes to the little stuff myself, I'm actually suprised I don't use the term after thinking about it. And the whole timmie owner thing... bad stereotype, sorry...

Kevmaster
01-29-2004, 01:09 PM
ever hooped it up?

funkykarl
01-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Kevmaster
ever hooped it up?

fo shizzle.

Barfly
01-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Umm, there is nothing wrong with going paintballing and do you you paintball. In example I use to wrestle and I stopped wrestling. Also don't get your panties up in a bunch if someone calls it ballin', because it happens in all sports.

wageslave
01-29-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm going to start this off by saying that I use the term "paintballing" myself, although it is technically incorrect.

[i]
Umm, there is nothing wrong with going paintballing and do you you paintball. In example I use to wrestle and I stopped wrestling. Also don't get your panties up in a bunch if someone calls it ballin', because it happens in all sports.

The words wrestle, swim, fish, hike, camp, run, surf, skate, etc., are all verbs. So it is grammatically correct to add -ing to them. Words like football, baseball, soccer, paintball, and Monopoly are not verbs, they are nouns. You play football, you don't go footballing. You play soccer, you don't go soccering. You play Monopoly, you don't spend a few hours Monopolying.

So it is not grammatically correct to say "paintballing" or that you are a "paintballer". Of course, not many people really care, and I'm typically one of them. Honestly, it doesn't bother me, people use the word "ball" as a verb all the time, it's ebonic. Of course, whether or not you feel that ebonics is a valid language/dialect is an argument for another thread. ;)

Jeffy-CanCon
01-29-2004, 03:14 PM
I think it should be "play paintball" rather than "paintballing". All of the examples Mindflux gave are activities you can do by yourself, not things you play with others. For that matter, bowling was the only example that is normally done in a game/competitive format.

And I detest the practice of referring to paintball as "balling". It's very poor English, and it's not even original slang. That term was more traditionally used in a sexual context.

Major Ho
01-29-2004, 03:15 PM
"I went CURLING today" :D
http://www.curling.com/w_olympics_02-10_crp.gif
crazy canadian antics ;)

tyrion2323
01-29-2004, 03:22 PM
It's a gerund...kinda.

*captain_cox*37
01-30-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Jeffy-CanCon
And I detest the practice of referring to paintball as "balling". It's very poor English, and it's not even original slang. That term was more traditionally used in a sexual context.

Since when does anyone care when they are using "poor english".

Jonesie
01-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by wageslave
I'm going to start this off by saying that I use the term "paintballing" myself, although it is technically incorrect.

The words wrestle, swim, fish, hike, camp, run, surf, skate, etc., are all verbs. So it is grammatically correct to add -ing to them. Words like football, baseball, soccer, paintball, and Monopoly are not verbs, they are nouns. You play football, you don't go footballing. You play soccer, you don't go soccering. You play Monopoly, you don't spend a few hours Monopolying.

So it is not grammatically correct to say "paintballing" or that you are a "paintballer". Of course, not many people really care, and I'm typically one of them. Honestly, it doesn't bother me, people use the word "ball" as a verb all the time, it's ebonic. Of course, whether or not you feel that ebonics is a valid language/dialect is an argument for another thread. ;)

Actually, I believe it is "monopolizing"... ;) Just kiddin!

And for those who are asking, I try to use the best English I can muster. I've spent a good deal of time in school, I'm not going to waster everything I learned!

-=Squid=-
01-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Paintballs a wigga sport and were allowed to do that :)

Keep in mind thats a joke, and im no wigger ;)

Jonesie
01-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Paintballs a wigga sport and were allowed to do that :)

Keep in mind thats a joke, and im no wigger ;)

[Mr. T Voice] Keep talkin; that jibba-jabba and I'll bust a cap in ya wit' my gat, foo! [/Mr. T Voice]

Ahhh, I love it when a plan comes together! :D

-=Squid=-
01-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Jonesie

[Mr. T Voice] Keep talkin; that jibba-jabba and I'll bust a cap in ya wit' my gat, foo! [/Mr. T Voice]

Ahhh, I love it when a plan comes together! :D hahaha...people are looking at me because im laughing.

slushee
01-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by wageslave
You play Monopoly, you don't spend a few hours Monopolying

Bill Gates did :rolleyes: