PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Used Up

Remake101
01-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Ive had my automag for about three weeks now. I got it from a friend. He hadnt used it in a while so i had to take it into the shop to get it tuned up. Im runnin CO2 on it. It is a classic automag with a ULE Frame and autococker threads. it has vertical feed and a two fingered trigger. It is extremely nice and works really well, except it uses up a 16-ounce CO2 tank in 2-300 rounds. I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT IS WRONG!!! The shop says it works fine, and i have the velocity screw as far out as it will go and still work. HELP!! what is wrong.....

abunkerer
01-29-2004, 01:36 PM
maybe it is the tank, if you aren't getting a full fill then that would explain the low shot count. You also stated that the reg screw is turned completely out, and the gun is still able to keep its velocity up? the internals may have been put back together wrong inside of the reg, or are stuck, try adding 5 or six drops of oil into the air line and then putting the tank back on and dry firing it.
but really 300 shots is bad but isnt terribly bad from co2. you should definately get a compressed air tank for the gun it will make a huge difference in the way the gun performs. Co2 is bad, very bad, if co2 is your only option then you will need a anti siphon tube in the tank and some sort of expansion chamber to keep the liquid co2 from reaching the automag reg/valve. without these things co2 will freeze the valve of an automag and cause low shot count, velocity fluctuations, and if you are lucky; snow to shoot from your barrel. but keep in mind, a good Co2 system for a mag will cost about as much as a cheap n2 tank, and will not perform as well. you can get a steel nitro tank for about 70$ retail these days.
good luck!

Bond
01-29-2004, 06:46 PM
I have a mag i got off ebay that does the same thing, i got a Compress air tank and there is hardly any differants on efficiency . I sure hope someone can point us in the right direction here. I feel that mine only waste gas when i rapid fire, not only with C02 pushing liguid, with the Compress air too. Cause i can set on the couch and pull the trigger one shot at a time and count them i get over 800 shots out of the C02...but i'll get on the field and get to rapid shooting while playin and i cant get though 2 hoppers with out refilling. C02 or Compress air.

Hope we can come to the bottom of this one, would make my mag a hell of lot better.

Ken

Joni
01-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Bond, what size tank do you have?

Bond
01-29-2004, 07:37 PM
i have a 20oz c02 and a 48ci 3000psi

Bond
01-29-2004, 07:46 PM
My gun:) looks great but eats gas like CRAZY!!

http://ip.16thaccw.org:81/16th/files/all/77_1.jpg

Joni
01-29-2004, 07:59 PM
48ci 3000 psi would give about 480 shots, so two hoppers are quite normal. But with a 20oz CO2 you should get about 800 shots.

abunkerer
01-29-2004, 08:01 PM
well mag efficiency should be about this much:
3000 psi tanks are 10 shots per ci.
4500 psi tanks are 15 shots per ci.
level 10 bolts use a little more gas
..so a 45/3000 tank should get about 450shots on a level 7 automag.

a 20 oz co2 fill will get a few hundred more shots than that, but are not a good option for automags becuase of the liquid and the pressure fluctuations associated with co2. the freezing and expanding of the air not only effects efficiency and accuracy but can blow out orings inside of the valve.

argnot
01-29-2004, 11:32 PM
your big issue is the fact that you are shooting liquid although it is very strange that you vel. screw is all the way out. do you have and expansion chamber? this would help, same with a remote, plus get the anti syphon.

soccer4minimags
01-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Straight outta page 12 in the manual, you should get about 400 shots out of a 7oz tank. So you should be getting at least double what you are, something is definitely wrong. Are these dry firing shots or actual paint shots you're measuring?
I'd sooner believe its bad fills. Are they filling the tank warm, and then you take the first fill they put into it? Are they really weighing it.
Also, don't let this bum you out. CO2 isn't as bad as some people may make it out to be. There is really nothing wrong with it if used correctly (not as hard as some would lead you to believe). I just love the argument of just get a cheap nitro tank:rolleyes: I wish it were only that simple in many situations. I'd still shoot co2 over what a 70 buck tank can offer.

abunkerer
01-30-2004, 01:38 AM
I was just saying that if money is an issue then he could get an inexpensive steel tank, like a crossfire 47/3000 is about $75.00. the only difference between that and a 175$ 68/3000 is 200 shots less and the tanks are steel and not fiber wrapped. the regulator is the same.

performance wise n2 is superior to co2 even with a good system. and a good co2 system will cost about 70$.

-hpa is unaffected by outside temp, co2 will remain a liquid in cold weather.
-hpa systems are more consistent (meaning tighter shot groupings)
-hpa is cleaner=better for the gun.
-hpa does not freeze mag regs

Remake101
02-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Sry i havent answered any questions on this lately. i havent been able to get on the comp in a while. Im only getting about 300 shots of a 16 ounce, i have been using a remote to anti-siphon it. These are real shots with paintballs. Money is a problem, so if anyone out there has a nitro tank they wanna sell for cheap if you tell me about it ill contact you if it is in my price range thx for your replies. Hopefully if i do upgrade to nitro it will wokr better.