PDA

View Full Version : My goodbye to one hobby(for now), and back into an old favorite.

randomboy
09-14-2001, 07:17 PM
Getting out of paintball and selling all my stuff so I can get back to my true love of car audio. Over this winter I'm going to build my car to compete in IASCA Novice Street 601+, and hopefully do halfway decent :)

Heres the setup as I see it now:
Premier 730r (have)
Audio Control EQTS (2)
Audio Control 4xs
Arc 1500dr for subs (have)
IDMAX 12's (2) (have)
Arc 2050 (2) one for horns, one for midrange
Arc 2100 for midbass
Image Dynamics CD1Pro minihorn set
Image Dynamics cx5.25 midrange
Image Dynamics IDQ8 midbass
All backed up by 1/0g Stinger main power wire, and Schosche distribution (have)

:) Heres my install so far:
http://members.cardomain.com/jlacoy82

Just felt like sharing :)

Arturus
09-14-2001, 07:25 PM
I like the 'for now' part. :)

Keep sharing your thoughts in the forum, and enjoy your current pursuit, and hope you do well in the competition!

randomboy
09-14-2001, 07:29 PM
Heh, yeah, I kinda float around all the forums I patronize, just havent been here in awhile, which was a good sign to me that I had other priorities :) Thanks though. Hahahha, not to say car audio is gonna be any cheaper......well, the way I do it anyways :)

Lets just say that for 2k all I've got so far is my cd player, wiring, an amp and 2 subs.......

Miscue
09-15-2001, 09:43 AM
Cool dude. I plan to compete as well...

What I have:
Crystal CMP 12"
2 1752 ESX Amps
(Just these few things were $1000+ !)

Need to get:
CDT HD-63DTs
Adequate rear fills
Lots and lots of Dynamat Premium
Element 12" enclosure
1 Farad Cap
SQ deck - with all this new stuff, don't know which yet.
Stinger wiring
Fiberglass stuff for kickpods

Want to get:
TubeDriver Blue... ooh I want this. But I can't blow $800 on just one 150x2 amp until I get a real job.

Lots of $$$ left to go... if it weren't for this hobby, I'd be aiming for an E-Mag as well, kinda like you.

LizzaRTgirl14
09-19-2001, 05:46 PM
Cary: compete? WHAT?!?!?!!? I don't freaking get it. Someone help me.

oh and..GaSp!

But tha't.. ok, it;s something you love.. and the getting back into it later justifies it..
I'm just kidding, you should do what you love.

Miscue
09-19-2001, 06:10 PM
Sure you can compete... they have SPL (Sound Pressure Level/db's)and SQ (sound quality) competitions with varying classes depending on power.

Car stereo is deceivingly difficult. There's way more to it than simply buying stuff and slapping it in. There's some science behind it, and a lot of work involved. You'd be surprised how much you have to know, and how much can be known... and what it takes to win.

LizzaRTgirl14
09-19-2001, 08:39 PM
I wasn't trying to make it sound as if I thoguht it was just some mindless sport, please understand. I was just interested, for I knew not there was such thing as 'car' competition.

randomboy
09-20-2001, 06:33 AM
I knew too well there was more to it than just putting stuff in before I started in the stereo stuff about 2 years ago, I'm definitely a bit ahead of the game here in Massachusetts, half the time I show up at shops and they check my stuff out its "What is THAT? Never heard of THEM before, must be foreign. That stuff is junk, I've never heard of it. You didnt come to us to buy all Rockford stuff, thats too bad, we coulda hooke you up" blah blah blah :)

Miscue
09-20-2001, 07:28 PM
Exactly. All the best stuff you can't find in a retail store... and most people have never heard of those brands. The stuff in retail stores is junk compared to similarly priced or even cheaper products available.

Let them all use Rockford and Sony stuff. That's fine by me, cuz I'll be taking home the trophy. :)

randomboy
09-21-2001, 02:48 PM
Well, around my area anyways the most exotic brand you find is Precision Power, but I know other places you can find Brax, Macintosh, Linear Power stuff in shops, I just live in a crappy place for it :( Heh, its ok, I'm buying all my Arc amps off the only online dealer in........the eastern hemisphere :D

daklown33
10-08-2001, 02:44 PM
NOW WAIT A MINUTE !!!! ROCKFORD FOSGATE ISNT CRAP ! Their amps are awesome, and so are their components...i hapen to be a fan of rockford fosgate...although i agree their subs suck...and that the obvios best subs are from unheard of people like mmats, Crystal MobileSound, Kove, Planet audio...the list is on and on....they do have some really nice cd players and amps and stuff, because ive looked into them for a while. My cousin uses rockford fosgate amps and they have got him a world record and tons of first place victories, and even to the DB drag world finals. THe only reason he lost is because he had to borrow some amps because his truck was wrecked and he had to get another rockford to match the one that was smashed between two trucks. Sorry...yeah.. oh, and another thing..if you want to bash something...bash Kicker and Audiobahn...thats mass produced stuff for poplarity, with "pretty" grills and chrome cones...yeah

randomboy
10-08-2001, 06:54 PM
heh, daklown, you almost sound like you know what your talking about :) So my IDMAX's with their nice chrome trim and stone flecked baskets and 1800 wrms power handling are mass produced junk?? ;)

BTW, for anyone who this may make sense to......I know a guy doing 134.1 at the windshield with ONE IDMAX 12 on an Arc 2500cxl (1200 watts) running an infinite baffle setup with the sub in the rear deck...........oh yeah....at 23hz :eek:

SGTKennedy
10-08-2001, 09:39 PM
you know i just dont understand it. sure it may be cool to have the people in the next zip code hear your car stereo, but doesnt it hurt your ears? I know mine are to friggin sensitive to hear what im guessing means 131.4 Decibels, at the windsheild. Impressive, but that can make you go deaf.

Ive seen those compititions on tv i think. confused me. like racing to go deaf. hehe. But everyones entitled to a few expensive hobbies. meh.

daklown33
10-09-2001, 12:04 PM
I said KICKER AND AUDIOBAHN..meaning them specifically, i said that because all people say is "audiobahn has those cool chrome cones..im going to get one !!" or " Kicker has a cool logo..." that kinda stuff...im no saying i dont like IDMAX...because I know nothing about them...oh...another thing..i DO like Image Dynamics. My friend has 8 of them in a truck with a bridged soundstream amp running about 100 watts...and they still hit really hard. I think he had loudest inthe state one year (a while back) with them

daklown33
10-09-2001, 12:11 PM
oh yeah...a guy at my church had an Xplod amp and it shorted in like 2 days, now he has MTX :(..

im looking at 2 bb15's in a cut through and a rockford amp and cd player, with either some Massive Audio components or some Polk components...if anyone knows of some better components for under 300$ please tell me...

$pam
10-11-2001, 06:06 PM
Hey randomboy, i bought you're mag about 7 or 8 months ago. It might be getting a Retro Valve and intelliframe soon.

magman007
10-12-2001, 08:45 PM
AMATURES!!!!!!! your all amatures!!!!!! I havnt herd one person say the best in sound.... FOCAL!!!!!!!! focal utopias are the most beautiful thing i have ever heard. My garsh try an get some miscue! YOU NEED THEM!!!!

what?:confused: confused? what is a focal you say? a focal is the best in sound and audio that is what

alf
10-13-2001, 11:12 PM
guys,

when i was doing car audio...i had an 83 camaro, no back seat, 1 18" sub behind each seat...punch 150 (yeah, fosgate, i know...that was the s**t then) running bridged mono to each 18...h/k mids/highs, with polk/fosgate mids/highs (gotta love those polks)...and i hit 134...

how far has car audio come in 15 years?

-alf

Tunaman
10-14-2001, 11:51 AM
Instead of you guys saving for MORE car audio, you should be saving for hearing aids. You will definately need them if you keep it up. When I was a kid in high school, I spent countless hours with my Sennheisers cranked up to Led Zeppelin and Tull...I am paying for it now BIGTIME!:D :D