PDA

View Full Version : I Am The Worst Car Shopper Ever.

Thordic
01-29-2004, 04:00 PM
As some of you know, I crashed my saturn a few weeks back. Despite what the pics showed, it was deemed a total loss to the cosmetic damage, a bent axle, and a bent frame.

So, I've been needing a new car.

I've liked Nissan Sentra's for a while, and may still get a new one, but first came the wondeful world of used cars.

I'm one of those people who likes to research before they buy, learn all the specifications, read reviews, and cover all my angles before making a purchase. I'm finding its next to impossible to do that with a used car and it's driving my insane.

Much like the paintball world, there is no such thing as a "standard opinion". Everyone has different opinions on cars and if you listen to your friends, you'll never buy anything.

First I looked at Mustangs. 2000+ coupes only, really. Lots of people (*cough* Pyro *cough*) like to crap on them, but I happen to like them. But its tough finding one in my price range. So I figured I'd move on.

Dealers want way too much damn money for their used cars. Its ridiculous. Whether you can negotiate the price or not doesn't matter, they are asking way too much. A 4 year old used car should cost less than a couple grand less than a brand new car of the same model.

And I hate the idea of going to the lot and looking around. I like looking at a car, checking it on Carfax, looking up the price and specifications on Edmunds, etc, until I know what the guy who put in the floormats ate for breakfast the day he touched the car. I think I'm going to start bringing my laptop so I can check carfax at the lot...

I am just way too picky about this, and its causing an issue because I have no car and keep having to borrow my dads and/or bum rides from co-workers. It sucks so bad.

Someone cure my insanity. I need to buy a car by proxy or something. "Here is $10,000, go buy me something I'll like".

Just a rant...

krafty
01-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Gimme 10 grand and I'll be happy to buy you a car. :D Do you like 1984 Sunbirds? (The rust is barely visable, I swear!)

I know exactly what it's like to be forced to look for a new car after an accident. You want to take your time, but you need transportation now! I went through it last year after a drunk driver totalled my RAV4 for me. :(

logamus
01-29-2004, 04:26 PM
it could be worse, i mean it could be snowing like crazy. oh wait, it is. sorry.

http://www.rantfan.com/cutecast/emoticons/suicide.gif

cphilip
01-29-2004, 04:30 PM
I bought Calebs Sentra that was a program car with not quite 8K miles on it for $12,000. Its got all the bells and whistes they got for em I think. Spoiler and all that look stuff too. I think its a 2002 and I bought it last year about this time.

So far a pretty darn nice car. I think a new one is what? 15K? about that?

Look at a program car. Save the depriciation.

Thordic
01-29-2004, 04:33 PM
My problem with Sentra's is I don't want the 1.8 or 1.8S, I want the 2.5S.

But no one keeps the damn thing in stock because the SE-R is about the same and costs more.

Stupid dealers.

Dubstar112
01-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Know any body who owns a dealership or repair shop? Have them take you to an auction and pick out a car you like there. Its basically "dealer cost", but you'll have to give a more than generous tip to the guy who brought you. Still, ends up cheaper and most of the time the cars are in excellent condition.

theraidenproject
01-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Problem solved (http://www.vannin.com/showvans/forsale/specialk/index.html)

cphilip
01-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Thordic
My problem with Sentra's is I don't want the 1.8 or 1.8S, I want the 2.5S.

But no one keeps the damn thing in stock because the SE-R is about the same and costs more.

Stupid dealers.

Oh I gotcha. Yea finding a program car with that engine might be difficult. But a good dealer can search other dealers for one for you. And make a deal for it. Or pick one up at the next program car aucion easy enough. Won't be a lot of them but will be a few.

You looked Altima? They got the 2.4Ls I think still in them. Might be even 2.6 by now. Nice cars they are.

Ironmag
01-29-2004, 08:16 PM
The 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R is probably the better one to get, they just look damn awesome (Skyline style front and hella nice red and black seats). The 2k3 and 2k4 look just like the other Sentras, just with bigger rims. That's what I wanna get soon. I currently have a 1998 Sentra SE and it still runs really good, can't go wrong with Nissan.

FalconGuy016
01-29-2004, 09:21 PM
www.cars.com ?

Cheeseball24
01-29-2004, 10:18 PM
screw the car, if u have 10 grand build a paintball tank and drive it around

OfficerGoat
01-29-2004, 10:34 PM
You are doing the right thing. Keep your eyes peeled and be patent something will come along.

Couple of things to be able to deal better. 1) Get a loan first.. have cash in hand.. money talks. Also remember car dealers get bonuses for signing loans.. .so the loan in your best interests may not be what they offer. This is ESPECIALY true come used cars. Most banks offer auto loans.. don't be afraid to go to your local branch and ask.

2)Go over and make them a silly offer. Being an ahole one day I was looking at vettes.... found an 01 for 31k ... knew I dint want it so to get the sales slut off my hands I offered 20k on it. Beleve it or not they countered with 24k. Apparently they really wanted rid of that car. <shrug>

3)Be patient... if something sits on the lot a bit they are going to want to sell it more than if they just got it in. When I first looked at my WS6 convertable they wanted 47k for it :eek: (5 over msrp), three months later I got the car at 28k.(At that point how can I say no?) It can REALY pay to wait.

4)Make an offer then walk off the lot. If a salesman knows you have the cash and really are a buyer they WILL chase you to the door.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
01-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Go check out some of the like 97-00 Audi A4's. I will probably end up getting one of those. Nice little cars. They are usually around 10,000.

Miscue
01-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by CoFFeY[NiTrO]
Go check out some of the like 97-00 Audi A4's. I will probably end up getting one of those. Nice little cars. They are usually around 10,000.

Holy depreciation Batman! You sure?

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
01-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Yessir

97 Audi A4 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2456160500&category=6003)

98 Audi A4 W/LEATHER (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2456376450&category=6003)

PyRo
01-30-2004, 12:46 AM
Ebay cars 60% of the time are on ebay because people don't want the buyer to actually see the car before buying it.

banzaimf
01-30-2004, 03:01 AM
Yeah, the Audis do get that cheap that quick.

In my search for the perfect Corrado, I ended up starting to look at audies, I could find 95's and 96's for around 5k. Luckily I found my Rado though :D

Butterfingers
01-30-2004, 03:06 AM
2002 WRX? Cough....

0-60 in 5.6 seconds
Turbocharged AWD with center viscous coupling and Limited Slips.
Pick up a used one for cheap...

Thordic
01-30-2004, 09:04 AM
Are you on crack, Butterfingers? A 2002 WRX is still worth like $19,000. Thats approximately twice what I'm willing to spend on a new car. There is no way you'd get one for $10K.

I found another mustang, going to look at that tonight.

Butterfingers
01-30-2004, 10:08 AM
opps didnt read the price range...

Thordic
01-30-2004, 10:38 AM
I'd love to get a WRX but they are way too new to get a cheap used one. My friend just got a 2004 WRX, man, so nice.

Muzikman
01-30-2004, 11:00 AM
This is why I buy new. I will always buy new from now on. Speaking of which...I need a new car...

1stdeadeye
01-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Good luck! I know how you feel. It took me 10 months to buy my Explorer. I analyze each car to death.

As for the Ford, doesn't/didn't Ford run a real low lease deal on the 6 cyl Mustang recently! Also, when you go to your local dealer, ask about program cars. You can usually get a better deal on them and a somewhat decent warranty.

PyRo
01-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Are you on crack, Butterfingers? A 2002 WRX is still worth like $19,000. Thats approximately twice what I'm willing to spend on a new car. There is no way you'd get one for $10K.

I found another mustang, going to look at that tonight.

Ill get you one for about 6k. Then again it will probably have a salvage title and need 20k of body work :)

There is one on ebay for 6k, it just had a little head on :)
Another for 5k thats just a little rolled :)

Look into toyota pickup trucks, apparently they are indestructable :)

Mindflux
01-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by banzaimf
Yeah, the Audis do get that cheap that quick.

In my search for the perfect Corrado, I ended up starting to look at audies, I could find 95's and 96's for around 5k. Luckily I found my Rado though :D

mmm Corrado. I'd love to find me a good condition one. My 02 GTI will have to live on ;)

Thordic
01-30-2004, 02:33 PM
1DE - I wouldn't lease a car, too much of a hassle. I'd rather own something than make payments on something I have to give back.

But tonight I go look at a white mustang convertible. A little bit on the feminine side as far as mustangs go, but I'll deal with it. Hopefully this one works out.

MarkM
01-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Just so I can understand this thread a little better what is a program car? Is that the term you guys use for the cars the salemen drive ie a demo model? Or something else?

theraidenproject
01-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Check the link I posted above, then spend the extra $2500 getting it running.

Thordic
01-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Theres no way Im driving a show van :D

logamus
01-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by MarkM
Just so I can understand this thread a little better what is a program car? Is that the term you guys use for the cars the salemen drive ie a demo model? Or something else?

sometimes they list demos in their program cars, but mostly it consists of fleet returns. mostly from car rental (or car hire for you :) ) places. they get new cars every year so when the new ones come in the give the 1 year old cars back to the manuf.

my mom had a toyota corolla she bought as a progarm car. drove it for 10 years and it ran like a top the whole time. them toyotas are something else.

PyRo
01-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Imagine how a car they will only use for 1 year will be treated.

01-30-2004, 04:48 PM
I have definately seen WRXs go for 14-15k on ebay. Yes and dealers do overcharge for their cars. Me and my dad were car shopping and we just ended up buying a new car because it was like a $1000 difference between the 2 and one had 40k miles on it.

PyRo
01-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Are you sure they wern't just doing that to get you to buy the new car?

Thordic
01-30-2004, 04:52 PM
I would never buy a car off ebay. Unless I can examine it in person, I wouldn't even consider the car.

PyRo
01-30-2004, 04:55 PM
I would never buy a car off ebay. Unless I can examine it in person, I wouldn't even consider the car.

You find local cars on ebay, then go look at them :)
If they give you any BS about not being available or somthing you know what they're up too :)

cphilip
01-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by logamus

sometimes they list demos in their program cars, but mostly it consists of fleet returns. mostly from car rental (or car hire for you :) ) places. they get new cars every year so when the new ones come in the give the 1 year old cars back to the manuf.

my mom had a toyota corolla she bought as a progarm car. drove it for 10 years and it ran like a top the whole time. them toyotas are something else.

Depends. Most of the < 12K ones are the Executive/Corporate Employee use cars. Company cars more or less. Most often never titled at all. So they qualify as new cars. And most often taken care of by the Company fleet maintenance guys so you can pull the record as its all in the Company data base. The ones close to 30 can be rental fleet stuff. But most of them are sold by the rental fleets themselves. They make pretty good money selling them themselves. You won't see many of those at a dealer as a Program car these days if at all. All of the real company cars are the Program cars with even lower mileage than rental fleets sell them at. Never over like 18K. And these are sold at auction to that Automotive companies dealesr only. You can't bid on them nor can any other dealers of any kind. Just that company can. Like Ford has a Dealers program car auction for its dealers... etc. Well maintained and ussually plenty of warranty left. And new car finance ability too. Because they have never been titled.

SlipknotX556
01-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Get a used 4Runner. With like 75k miles, they are like 8500.