PDA

View Full Version : How important is BYOP to you?

Smakman
01-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Most scenario or big games are FPO. You HAVE to buy the paint that the host is selling in order to participate. How much is it worth to you to be able to bring your favorite paint to use? Farther travel? An extra fee? Or does it not matter to you?

Burphel
01-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Ok, this is gonna sound odd, but I prefer FPO. Keeps newbs from bringing in BE and Proball or something else that's just going to cause bad feelings if we aren't all stuck shooting it.

Besides, if you're traveling any distance at all, why would you want to bring paint with you? If you're flying, your paint is gonna be lousy when you get there from the pressure changes. And driving isn't much better if it's at all warm out. I'd rather be able to pack lighter and buy paint when I get there. And if doing that means a little less on the entry fee, so much the better.

fallout11
01-30-2004, 07:58 AM
As a general rule, I agree, I'd rather just buy the field paint after I arrive. Provided that it's decent paint.

1) I don't have to worry about not having enought or having too much that way.
2) I don't have to haul it there, as Burphel points out.
3) Everyone is shooting the same stuff, so no one can complain (much).
4) I'm not really paying more for field paint, after you add shipping and such for internet purchased stuff. Plus the chance of UPS busting it en route.

There are 2 good reasons for BYOP, though.
One is if you have a huge pile left over from your last game.
The other is when the field paint is nasty, old, egg shaped, and/or cheap crud that just explodes in the gun (such as Wayne Dollack's 32 degrees team colors crap). Then I'd be willing to pay the organizers just to NOT use the field paint. :eek:

Rick927
01-30-2004, 11:42 AM
My local field is FPO at $100 a case. I use 1/2 case a day, once a month so it's not too bad.

Cryer
01-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Most fields do this for insurance purposes... Others because they think they can establish a monopoly.

If its decent paint, then I prefer FPO. Usually, they have fresh quality paint.
However if they use 32* seconds at an FPO, or if they overcharge, you wont see me within 50 miles.
Originally posted by Rick927
My local field is FPO at $100 a case. I use 1/2 case a day, once a month so it's not too bad.
Hell, yeah, that is bad!:eek:

Highest I've ever seen is 80/case.

I was so disgusted I turned and walked out!

Lakeview Bulldog
01-30-2004, 11:52 AM
I prefer BYOP. In my expirience, field paint is of low quality and overpriced. I understand that is how organizers make money, but I would be willing to pay a little extra to bring my own paint. And I would never pay $100 a case.

bokraham
01-30-2004, 02:24 PM
I would pay an extra 20 dolors to bmop. I would probably save that much on the first case.

Rick-USA
01-30-2004, 07:16 PM
I just have a couple of questions about the byop option. If a player elects to buy event paint how much does he have to buy not to pay the byop fee? Do you set any limit on the paint they can bring to the event? Can it be the red fill I've seen at one of the local sporting goods chains? Is the byop option there to make it more affordable to the players or is it there as a perk to let them shoot their favorite brand?

Since we are normally a byop field I've seen some really bad paint brought out by players. I've seen everything from paint that bounced off the back wall in our shooting range to shells that when they did break turned into sharp edges that cut not only skin but also tshirts. I personally like to get shot with paint that breaks when it hits me. Bounces hurt a lot more. :)

My feelings on event promoters who show up at an event with bad paint. It's totally uncalled for and I would not only express my dissapointment to the producer I'd do so to the paint company after the event if they didn't have a representative onsite. I'd also be more likely than not to not go back to an event by that promoter unless they had switched paint companies. With all the levels of paint out these days there is no reason any producer should be showing up at an event with the lowest grade paint made by a particular maker.

Pyrate Jim
01-30-2004, 07:17 PM
I always use field paint. It's an important revenue for the field, and if I want them to stay open and employ competent refs then I don't mind paying my share.

p8ntball1016
01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
I love BYOP. Fields just jack prices up to obscene levels. I'd rather go to the nearest pro shop, buy a case of blaze for 50 rather than pay 100 for 32* seconds. Its all price and quality.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
01-31-2004, 02:25 AM
you havnt seen anything, im surrounded by fields that overcharge.

Operation Paintball - $110 a case
Paintball Blitz - $120 a case

I don't get how on earth these fields get costomers!

logamus
02-01-2004, 12:05 PM
field by my place has the neat option that if you buy paint at their store you can bring it without paying the byop fee. it gives you a much greater selection of paint and you still help the store/field.

paint prices are the biggest issue i have with scenario/big games. 80-90 bucks for a case is just way out of my league. it porhibits my involement in those types of games. i dont mind supporting a field or an event, but there are limits to that you know.

Sir_Brass
02-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by logamus
field by my place has the neat option that if you buy paint at their store you can bring it without paying the byop fee. it gives you a much greater selection of paint and you still help the store/field.

paint prices are the biggest issue i have with scenario/big games. 80-90 bucks for a case is just way out of my league. it porhibits my involement in those types of games. i dont mind supporting a field or an event, but there are limits to that you know.

that's the way it is with the field I go to back home. In fact, the field paint available at the field is the same paint available at the store. before a day of play, they load up the van they take to the field with the rental equipment and cases of paint from the shelves in the store.

the only diff between buying paint at the store and at the field is that at the field you can only pay for it in cash, where at the store they take credit card.

Wes Janson
02-01-2004, 04:48 PM
BYOP is what I would strongly prefer...the reasons fields come up with to justify their monopoly are ****. One field once told me that you had to use their paint because otherwise "your gun could be damaged". Riiiiiiight. And then we have Wayne's craptacular 32 Degrees Team Colors, which is easily the worst paint I've seen fired. I could write an entire thread as the multitude of ways it sucked, but suffice it to say that I thanked my lucky stars I was using a lvl 10.
What gets me is that fields make claims that FPO is there for a reason: then turn around and have BYOP specials. My local field is FPO, very strict, but then they allow their favored teams to come on and practice with whatever they want. Wayne is strictly FPO, but then he goes off and has a game once in a while that's BYOP...which completely destroys the credibility that the FP has any purpose other than to earn them money.

TheTramp
02-05-2004, 05:41 PM
I support FOP for regular rec, local touraments, and big/scenario games. (team preactices should always be BYOP IMHO)

With that said, $55-$65 is a fair price for a case of medium quality paint. Once you get to the $85-$100 range for rec or big/scenario games I'll stay away. It's just not worth it for me anymore at that point.

punkncat
02-05-2004, 09:10 PM
I am not against FOP.It is nice to have some consistancy in the performance of all the players paint.It is a given responsiblity that if its FOP then the quality should be good. But there should be some limit to what should be charged per case.
It is not unreasonable to tack a few dollars on the normal retail price for the conveniance and to make the promoter some profit.But paying upwards of 75-100$ for a case of(field) paint is simply robbery.I hate to see events scalping people for paint.
Hopefully players will weed these crooks out of the buisiness by not attending their events.

Pyrate Jim
02-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Y'know, I've been playing paintball since 1988.
I remember finding Nelson tubes for $2.99 and thinking that was a deal.
Canobie Paintball in New Hampshire was charging $160 a case up until '98 or so.

Paint prices have never been lower than they are right now, and for me to complain about spending an extra penny per ball would be rather hypocritical.

Those who complain and refuse to attend events unless the paint is cheap, well- They never had to spend $.30 a ball and clean it off with turpentine. They just don't know how lucky they've got it.

Kraus
02-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Rick-USA
My feelings on event promoters who show up at an event with bad paint. It's totally uncalled for and I would not only express my dissapointment to the producer I'd do so to the paint company after the event if they didn't have a representative onsite. I'd also be more likely than not to not go back to an event by that promoter unless they had switched paint companies. With all the levels of paint out these days there is no reason any producer should be showing up at an event with the lowest grade paint made by a particular maker.

This happened to me at the last scenario game I went to. WGP paint went to crap on everybody. Almost ruined the whole game.

Coyote WCM
02-10-2004, 05:49 PM
BYOP for me and my team is of minimal importance. In the grand scheme of things the price on the paint/registration is small potatoes when we go go games since we travel around the country.
Our biggest issue, one which dictates our return to a field or event, is the quality of the paint vs the price. If they charge $100 per case, and it's shooting great, everyone is happy, awesome. If they charge $100 per case and it's bursting everyother ball, there's a serious issue.