PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Commercial.....

Rebel46_99
01-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Just a word of warning....

I just saw Anheuser-Busch's Super Bowl Bud Light commercials in a sneak preview here in St. Louis.

The commercial is cute, BUT ..... You (the paintball community as a whole) AIN'T GONNA BE HAPPY.

I'm in the process of trying to talk to the gentleman in charge of the commercials. I'll let you know what I find out.

DW

Muzikman
01-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Seeing as they are paying some ugly amount of money for the 30 second slot, I doubt there is anything anyone can do. I will say, mis-representing the sport is bad, but usually goes unnoticed by the non paintball playing community. I know nothing about the commercial you are talking about, but because it is a super bowl commercial it will get noticed.

~WarpedRT#2~
01-30-2004, 03:10 PM
I would watch it, but I hate football, so it looks like I wont see this commerial you speak of.

TheDoveDecends
01-30-2004, 03:13 PM
yeah seeing there paying 2.5 million for a 30 sec commercial slot.. i doubt your going to change any minds about it. It does stink that paintball is so misrepresented in so many ways though...

wyn1370
01-30-2004, 03:30 PM
why don't you tell us about how and what is misrepresented in the commercial vs. telling us it's cute and we'll be unhappy

Rebel46_99
01-30-2004, 03:54 PM
OK, guys.....

I just spoke with the gentleman here at A-B in St. Louis in person, face-to-face. He was somewhat surprised at my concerns because the primary focus of ALL PB'ers in this commercial will be the safety issue that will be more than apparent.

He did tell me that safety was a major concern with the filming. However, he was not fully aware of the restrictions that we place upon ourselves when around our staging areas and on the field, i.e. full mask and barrel covers/plugs.

As in most advertising they sometimes, as he put it, "go over the top" and it was not meant to put PB in an unfavorable light. He was very respectful and understanding and expressed his thanks at my bringing these concerns to his attention. Apparently they had shown this ad to 600 people in trial runs and I was the first person who had expressed any reservations.

So.... When you see this ad run during the Super Bowl, try to take it with a grain of salt.

Matter of fact..... Think I'll go have a nice cold, frosty Budweiser right now. :cool:

DW

Muzikman
01-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Is it chicks in bikini's playing paintball?

Rebel46_99
01-30-2004, 03:58 PM
:D Sorry...... No chicks in bikinis, MM.... :p

LeatherPants
01-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Wow they're finally airing it. They shot that thing last year. I remember the auditions for that. They did have paintball "technical advisors." Basically some guys from a local shop shoot the marker. Lame but true.

Miscue
01-30-2004, 06:40 PM
I have a feeling that only paintballers will realize it's unsafe... and it won't detract from the non-PB crowd who might gain interest in it.

elpimpo
01-30-2004, 07:30 PM
have you guys noticed that ;ately pb has been more and more on tv. so this means people are interested in it. people who are interested gennerally want to go try it. when they go try it they usually wil have to comply with safety. so i think this actually helps more than hurts

Chojin Man
01-31-2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by ~WarpedRT#2~
I would watch it, but I hate football, so it looks like I wont see this commerial you speak of.

You can mute it when the game is playing. Then turn the sound up for the comercials.:D The annoucers don't know what they are talking about anyways.:)

Rebel46_99
01-31-2004, 01:36 PM
Miscue and ElPimpo... I agree to an extent with your statements. PB'ers will see it for what it is and the non-PB public will probably get a good laugh out of it, but I think you might change your tune a little about interest when you see it. I hope you're right.

And yes LeatherPants, this was shot in November and this will be it's first release.

DoveDecend... It was never my intention to try to get them to pull it. Just to give them a Baller's opinion face-to-face and not thru an e-mail.

I've even considered inviting this gentleman, who is one step down from a VP, and some of his staff to come out to our field when the weather warms up.

DW

LeatherPants
01-31-2004, 04:06 PM
HAHAHAH yea I know. I auditioned for it.

It's kinda hokey. They filmed it out in Lancaster or was it Palmdale. Made a real crappy field and shot it.

~WarpedRT#2~
02-01-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Chojin Man

You can mute it when the game is playing. Then turn the sound up for the comercials.:D The annoucers don't know what they are talking about anyways.:)

LOL, Nice! Good idea, now if it was hockey, I'd be more than happy to watch it...Nothing like running around with razors on your feet inches away from others...

*captain_cox*37
02-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Guys I live in Germany and have to watch the armed forces network that the military provides. They will show the super bowl live and all but will not show any stateside commercials due to something or another. They get the shows for free and all and dont wanna make the germans mad by advertising (like we were trying to cut into their economy and business) so they just show these informal commercials about americas history and stuff like that. N e ways can someone post on here what exactly the commercial is about. I never thought I would miss commercials until I moved over here and had to deal with this crap. I feel like I am missing out on anything that has to deal with paintball. ;)

-=Squid=-
02-01-2004, 12:34 PM
I would like to see the commercial. Is there a place I can download it, or can somebody just describe it?

WenULiVeUdiE
02-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Yea someone describe this to us. A lot of you are talking about it but we have no idea what you are talking about some times.

painball
02-01-2004, 01:58 PM
I'll try to record the commercial and upload it tonight.

ZAust
02-01-2004, 02:03 PM
i wish adcritic was still free... :(

painball
02-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Someone tell me when it comes on. I'm not watchin it but my bro is recordin the game on my PC and I'll grab the commercial outta it.

PBCapo
02-01-2004, 09:37 PM
did it happen yet? I just missed like 10 minutes

personman
02-01-2004, 10:08 PM
I havent seen it yet.

joshweinerhead
02-01-2004, 10:30 PM
nor have i

PBCapo
02-01-2004, 10:33 PM
uuuuuuummmmmmmmmm

Methylphenidate
02-01-2004, 10:34 PM
did i miss it or was it not aired.

personman
02-01-2004, 10:40 PM
I dont think it was aired.
They might still play it though? :confused:

islandboi
02-01-2004, 10:48 PM
i didnt see it... pats won!

personman
02-01-2004, 10:51 PM
lololol
They just played it
It was pretty funny
I diddnt have a problem with it

Ivan
02-01-2004, 10:51 PM
lol there it was

joshweinerhead
02-01-2004, 10:53 PM
it was just on ... yea .. that makes paintball look REALLY SAFE ... i love how the ref got plastered in the back and they were wearing like shop glasses

xmetal2001
02-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Just aired, Im waiting for AO to start whining about lack of masks and barrel plugs.

But who really cares? Whats the percentage of paintball players watching the superbowl that are actually going to be offended by this. There is no reason for them to use masks. Our sport isn't being misrepresented.

It was a great commercial, and it was cool to see paintball on tv.

melster
02-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Boy is it hokey. The ref is just wearing blades type shades, and I only saw one guy witha full face mask. Everyone else isn't wearing goggles, or no face protection at all.

acropilot19
02-01-2004, 10:58 PM
:D

I just saw it, it aired about 5 niutes after the game ended.
Its Really kinda funny. Definatley be worth downloading & puttin on the desktop.
didnt see anything bad about it unless you want to scrutinize.

Budweiser had the best commercials by far...there were about 4 that made me LoL.
:D

elpimpo
02-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by melster
Boy is it hokey. The ref is just wearing blades type shades, and I only saw one guy witha full face mask. Everyone else isn't wearing goggles, or no face protection at all.

IT HAS BEGUN

chunk_daddy
02-01-2004, 11:01 PM
ok, i watched the whole game thinking it would be on but it wasn't, so if anyone finds where i can download it lmk, thanx

1shot
02-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Before you start complaining go see the ad. You can find it here: www.budweiser.com and click on "see our ads".
Then start the complaining.
BUT, before you do, please consider this . . . this is not a documentary, it's not intended to be a real life depiction of paintball. It's just a commercial. And a very funny one at that.
Speaking as a video producer (I'm the owner of 1 Shot Productions) if I was to make a commercial, or movie, or anything other than a documentary, I would do the same thing. You can't show facial expressions and the like when a person is wearing a mask. When we make commercials like this,we 'go over the top' as the AB guy put it. Look at the Cadillac commercials. Is anyone complaining that the car really can't outrun sound? Or the one with the monkey on their back? Is that realistic?
Just take the ad for what it is. A chance for people to see paintball.
And if the guys at AB get flooded with angry letters form angry paintballers, they may never do another ad involving paintball again. And we don't want that, do we?

bob
1 shot productions

elpimpo
02-02-2004, 12:00 AM
i cant find our adds

DWill
02-02-2004, 12:08 AM
I might just be an idiot but I can't find the ad link...anyone help me out?

elpimpo
02-02-2004, 12:18 AM
i found it. once u get past the 21 thing its on the main menu it was on the right i think

i dont know wtf you guys are complaining about. that comercial was sooo freaking awesome.

RingOfScale
02-02-2004, 12:27 AM
hey i dont think its so bad, at least some of them HAD correct paintball masks, even if they werent wearing em : P and it made meh laugh, and after survivor i was gonna come post about it, but yal beat me too it

cphilip
02-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Ok there are too many of these. So I am leaving the one open that has the direct link to the video. Go there. Closed.