PDA

View Full Version : Minimag verticle adapter slicing O-rings

j.t.
09-15-2001, 09:10 AM
I recently baught a minimag (now discontinued) and whenever I screw a tank into the verticle adapter it slices the O-ring. Is this a common minimag problem? Is there a way I can prevent it?

krafty
09-15-2001, 09:21 AM
There may be a burr in the threads. I'd email or call AGD and see if they will replace the adapter for you. (Make sure your gun is registered).

Load SM5
09-15-2001, 05:08 PM
Put a drop of oil on you o-ring before you screw it in. Also does it slice when you screw it in of are you just finding it sliced when you unscrew it? The Co2 could be freezing it as you're unscrewing the tank and shredding the ring.

j.t.
09-15-2001, 05:14 PM
I have tried oiling the 0-ring, and I dont believe that it is the Co2 because it happens almost instantly. Is there a way to check if the threads has a burr in it?

Load SM5
09-15-2001, 05:32 PM
Look at it, run your finger over it and possibly take a kleenex and rub it over the threads and see if it teras or catches on anything. IF you find one you might be able to clean it off with a wire brush or some steel wool. Make sure theres no dirt or dust in the adapter when your finished.

j.t.
09-15-2001, 05:46 PM
I tried rubbing a kleenex on the inside of the threads but it didnt rip in any places. Could screwing in a Brass Eagle Co2 tank a single time conform the threads enough to cause it to slice the O-ring?

Load SM5
09-15-2001, 06:00 PM
Well the only thing I can think of at this point is just get a rag and some alchohol and clean out the threads really well. Are the o-rings pretty loose when you put them on your tank. I've seen them so stretched that they fold over while your screwing the tank on? Other than that, I dunno, sorry. Cheap O-rings?

j.t.
09-15-2001, 06:15 PM
I use the standard O-rings that my local pro-shop carries, and most of them are brand new when I put them on due to my verticle slicing them.:(

Gildon92
09-15-2001, 07:31 PM
Mine also did this, i just use a bottomline now and dont worry about it.

j.t.
09-15-2001, 07:36 PM
I planned on using a gas through foregrip so I wanted to fix it if possible.

Load SM5
09-15-2001, 07:42 PM
A gas through grip may not cause you any problems. Don't use an oring; use a low strength loc-tite or teflon tape on the grip.

j.t.
09-16-2001, 08:00 AM
Thanks, i'll try that.:D

martlet1
09-19-2001, 02:33 PM
Its probably the tank threads. I had a tank that worked perfect on my first gun, but then cut o-rings on every use when i bought its replacement.
I took some steel wool and dulled down the tank threads. If you can, try and use another tank and see if that eliminates the prob.
The other thing it could be is that the tank has conformed your threads a bit. Steel wool the threads a bit on your adapter. Just enough to take out any burrs, even if you can't feel it, its a little different if your tank and adapter aren't perfectly matched.

j.t.
09-19-2001, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatly I have tried quite a few rental tanks, 3 of my tanks, and a couple of ohter friends tanks.

markhauguel
09-19-2001, 03:27 PM
I have a mini that will not seal on any tank I have tried but an expansion chamber and a gas thru grip have worked fine. I have been told that the pin is too short causing me to screw a tank on too far and cutting the oring on a step in the verticle. I am not sure if this is right but now I use a gas thru and a drop forward and have no problems. Hope you get it working.

j.t.
09-19-2001, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the help!:D