PDA

View Full Version : need computer help...quickly if possible....

Cha0tic
09-15-2001, 01:21 PM
ok my cd drive broke during a storm yesterday so i went out and bought i new one. i replaced it and it is in place and works fine. however, when i start up my computer, it says "sec master drive incompatible press f1 to continue" i hit f1 and the computer starts up fine. is there somthing wrong? i just don' tlike that messege that comes up, and hitting f1 every time you start your computer is annoying.

blitz134
09-15-2001, 02:00 PM
just a few ideas...it seems that you might have two cd rom drives or another drive on the same ide port...that is the reason for the sec master error...if you do have two drives make sure one of them is set to master and the other is set to slave...you set that with the jumpers on the back of the cd rom drive...usually if you have a cdr and a cd rom drive you need to set one to master and one to slave or you will get conflicts...

dont try this unless you know what you are doing...you might need to go into the bios on the boot up...usually hit delete to get in there right after turning the comp on...and look around...there should be a place to set the cd rom drive...usually an auto detect feature...it is basically the same as autodetect with harddrives...and that might fix it too...but be careful in there...if your not sure dont mess with it...but try the jumper settings on the back of the drive first if you have two drives on the same ide port...just my thoughts w/o looking at it

Miscue
09-15-2001, 07:35 PM
Check your jumpers. You do not need to fool with your BIOS unless you wish to boot off of the CD.