PDA

View Full Version : Loctite on pin valve?

Skoad
02-01-2004, 03:19 AM
When you take off and put back on a pin valve on a co2 tank, if/what kind of loctite are you supposed to use?

For some reason i keep thinking i read somewhere that you don't loctite it back on, but that sounded strange to me.

joshweinerhead
02-01-2004, 03:34 AM
red loctite .. loctite the whole thing except the first few threads ..

ASDadam
02-01-2004, 11:55 AM
If you plan on taking the pin valve off again no Loctite is fine. If not, Blue or Red is fine. If you want to ever rehydro the tank i wouldn't recommend Red.

dyst0pia
02-01-2004, 11:59 AM
The Tech at Centerflag recommended I use Green loctite on my reg to connect it to the tank....I was just like "thats a negative."

I use red for everything.

Kevmaster
02-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by ASDadam
If you plan on taking the pin valve off again no Loctite is fine. If not, Blue or Red is fine. If you want to ever rehydro the tank i wouldn't recommend Red.

what??

no!

coming straight from the inudstry leaders in this, use RED LOCTITE (High Strength) on the bottom three threads. DO NOT put it above the release hole on the pin valve. Reason being if it unscrews while its gassed, then the air will burst out when it gets there, rather than spiraling off and killing someone

please have valid saftey information before you post it...

sneakyhacker420
02-01-2004, 04:22 PM
use red loc tite and do what kevmaster said :)http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

edit: BTW, i owe my life to that relase hole on my HPA tank... the reg got crossthreaded into my ASA and i started uncsrewing the cylinder off the reg... all of a sudden *WOOSH!* this huge stream of 4500 psi air came blowing into my face... rather than a 88ci tank being implanted in my mouth

Beemer
02-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Kevmaster

what??

no!

coming straight from the inudstry leaders in this, use RED LOCTITE (High Strength) on the bottom three threads. DO NOT put it above the release hole on the pin valve. Reason being if it unscrews while its gassed, then the air will burst out when it gets there, rather than spiraling off and killing someone

please have valid saftey information before you post it...

Umm.....Isnt there a Torque Spec on that to?

sneakyhacker420
02-01-2004, 08:07 PM
just torque it down as much as you can with a strap wrench and crecent wrench... CO2 is under a max. pressure of about 1200 psi, so theres no major worry about torquing it down like on a HPA tank

Beemer
02-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by sneakyhacker420
use red loc tite and do what kevmaster said :)http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

edit: BTW, i owe my life to that relase hole on my HPA tank... the reg got crossthreaded into my ASA and i started uncsrewing the cylinder off the reg... all of a sudden *WOOSH!* this huge stream of 4500 psi air came blowing into my face... rather than a 88ci tank being implanted in my mouth

Wrong thats why this happened

Kevmaster
02-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Beemer
Umm.....Isnt there a Torque Spec on that to?

yes...there is...25 ft/lbs is the correct amount, I think...but who has a torque wrench? Tighten it with a crescent wrench and a strap wrench and the loc-tite will do the job.

Kevmaster
02-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Beemer
Wrong thats why this happened

no. Had there been loctite above the hole, it likely would have stayed air tight much longer (after the oring seal around the bottom of the neck on the internal tank threads had been lost) and it would have been closer to firing out.....VERY FAST

use red loctite...put it on the bottom 2-3 threads on your reg....let it sit 24 hours...you're set

dinger
02-01-2004, 11:29 PM
put loc tite on the valve pin

and who the hell uses loc tite on their threads?!?!?
i always use elmers glue :o

;)

Beemer
02-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Kevmaster

yes...there is...25 ft/lbs is the correct amount, I think...but who has a torque wrench? Tighten it with a crescent wrench and a strap wrench and the loc-tite will do the job.

no. Had there been loctite above the hole, it likely would have stayed air tight much longer (after the oring seal around the bottom of the neck on the internal tank threads had been lost) and it would have been closer to firing out.....VERY FAST

use red loctite...put it on the bottom 2-3 threads on your reg....let it sit 24 hours...you're set

Ya I know about loctite. My POINT is it should still be Torqued. Whats the torque spec on HPA? If its torqued to spec theres less of a chance of the tank unscrewing off the reg or valve. If your gonna do it do it RIGHT and safe

Kevmaster
02-02-2004, 03:13 PM
i think the spec on N2 is 35ft/lbs....don't quote me though...I don't have it in my notes :(