PDA

View Full Version : Freak Inserts for newbie.

mewantgunnow
02-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi,

Im a new minimag owner and bought a freak barrel without inserts. I was wondering which sizes of insterts would be the best to buy, if i were to say buy 3?
I dont know much about these inserts, do most people just buy the whole set, and is it really neccessary to? or if someone who has owned them before could tell me just the ones that theyve found they use the most and the ones they have found to never use.

Would be helpful and save me money,
Thanks.

Thourne
02-01-2004, 12:56 PM
You really don't need the whole set, but most people do. If you are buying used it is generally cheaper because you can find a better deal where someone just wants rid of their entire set.

If you want a few inserts though I would recommend a medium .689 a small .687 and a large .691, but these are the most common I use for my Autococker. Automag Freak users might use slightly larger bores because the bores don't have to hold the ball in the breach until it fires. As a side note I do use my smaller bore inserts much more than people who use open bolt guns. I would not part with any bore that is .689 or smaller while I have never used the .695, .693, or .691 - ever.

Others will post here too to give you the most common AM inserts. I know I've heard that open bolt freak user will use slightly larger inserts than true-closed bolt users (reasons listed above).

CaptainChops
02-01-2004, 04:07 PM
I bought the full freak kit when it first came out a few years back and have been using it ever since. I usually end up playing renegade with a group of friends, and occasionally will play at the local field... so the quality of paint that I use varys greatly from day to day. In the like 2 years that I've had it, I've used all 8 of the inserts... But just like I said, I'm shooting all kinds of different paints...

If you play at the same field with the same paint every weekend, then you should talk to the owner or someone who plays there a lot and figure out what the paint bore size usually looks like and get inserts close to that. But if you're shooting a variety of different paint every weekend, maybe go for inserts that are farther apart in size... or just buy the whole kit to cover all the bases:p