PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Idea, Almost Seems TOO Obvious...

Ov3rmind
02-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Why not drill an airline through the Mag's body rail?

Think about all the mech Mags that use gas thru foregrips. Why not just have an airline drilled in the rail from where the foregrip meets the rail back to the valve? You could run a hose to the gas thru like a normal gun and not have a pesky second hose running down the side of the gun. I guess it could work for E-Mags as well if you wanted to make new battery packs.

PBCapo
02-01-2004, 07:16 PM
I dont think it would be wide enough where the sear pin goes through the rail...

Pullman
02-01-2004, 07:20 PM
The Automag RT had the air run through the rail and then into a banjo bolt that went into the valve. I don't know why they didn't continue with it. I just run a line from my tank straight to my valve. I don't get hit there much so why mess with it?

RRfireblade
02-01-2004, 07:21 PM
It may work,the only prob is with the current valves you still have to go from the rail to valve except in a much tighter space and still have a means to easily disconnect the air line to remove the valve.

The Automag RT had the air run through the rail and then into a banjo bolt that went into the valve.

It still had a line from the foregrip to the back of the rail,next to the valve.

Ov3rmind
02-01-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm wondering if a new rail could be made all together. The idea just seems so perfect IMO. It would take away the clutterly look and feel of running a hose to the valve.

RRfireblade
02-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind
I'm wondering if a new rail could be made all together. The idea just seems so perfect IMO. It would take away the clutterly look and feel of running a hose to the valve.

I agree,but you still have to come up with a way to go from the rail to the valve as well as still having a disconnect option.

Ov3rmind
02-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
It may work,the only prob is with the current valves you still have to go from the rail to valve except in a much tighter space and still have a means to easily disconnect the air line to remove the valve.
I was thinking of just that, and it'd actually be a pretty easy thing to do. I'll try and type it up with a pic later, but IMO it would be even easier to deal with than a hose.

Pullman, I don't recall ever seeing that. Do you have a pic?

RRfireblade
02-01-2004, 07:32 PM
http://lewistown.net/~prezents/ebay/magrt2.jpg

Classic RT's ran like this,not really what your talking about.

(Pic credit=Prezents RT in buy/sell)

Pullman
02-01-2004, 07:53 PM

Pullman, I don't recall ever seeing that. Do you have a pic?

Sorry about that.

Ov3rmind
02-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Okay, here's how I would connect the rail airline with the Valve:

First, you could get a little gas thru plate that would mold to the Mag's side profile (it would look like a mini eye cover I guess). The plate would be held in by two screws that would be drilled out for air (think 90 degree fittings for SS hose, only straight). The air would go from the rail to the first screw, through the plate, then to the last screw which threads into the side of the valve. All you'd need to keep them air tight are two o-rings.

Here's a very rough sketch on what I'm talking about (view is looking down the Mag from the back):

http://www.hunt101.com/img/096888.gif

RRfireblade
02-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Your basically talking about 2 banjo bolts and some kind of manifold rated @1000psi or so.

Ov3rmind
02-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Yeah, basically. Simple idea that should work.

tony3
02-01-2004, 11:00 PM
If I had a nickel for every banjo bolt oring I replaced I could buy AGD. Those things were just trouble. Getting wedged between the body and rail. The way agd's doing it now is the greatest.

magking1971
02-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by tony3
If I had a nickel for every banjo bolt oring I replaced I could buy AGD. Those things were just trouble. Getting wedged between the body and rail. The way agd's doing it now is the greatest.
You got that right, I think I put some kids through school with all the banjo bolt O-rings I bought.

Ov3rmind
02-02-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm positive they could be designed so the o-rings wouldn't be as troublesome as before. Cocker frontblock screws have o-rings as well, and they don't have any trouble with them.

Ityl
02-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Welcome to 1996 ;)

The more complicated you make something to more troublesome it will become. The current routing is the best for performance and reliability. (and it's easy)

Tobe2be
02-02-2004, 02:59 PM
if it isnt broken why fix it. i only have one hose from my asa to my valve. also im a lil scared to have 850 psi inside my gun. i would rather have a nive SS hose from my asa to my valve. seems a lil safer.

Thourne
02-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Although the cocker front block uses a banjo type bolt, how often do cocker users remove their front blocks? The answer is not often. My cocker's front block has only been removed to upgrade parts and my friends' cockers have never had their blocks removed. The design works so well on the cocker because to clean the gun and do normal maintenance you never have to take it off. The banjo bolt didn't work in the Mag because everytime you took your rail and body apart (everytime you cleaned it good) you had to deal with this bolt and o-ring system.

If you want to try and make it work then by all means try (I'll even act humble if you get it to work right), but I would bet that you will not get it to work right.

Ov3rmind
02-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Ityl
Welcome to 1996 ;)

The more complicated you make something to more troublesome it will become. The current routing is the best for performance and reliability. (and it's easy)
It's actually no more complicated than an SS hose when you think about it. SS hose would offer no performance benfits over it, and reliability would probably be the same. (and it's easier: no buying the right length hose, no loctite or teflon)

Tobe2be, you're already running 850 psi into your gun with a normal hose. Plus, if the "it's not broken, don't fix it" mentality was AGD's way of thinking Mags would have never recieved ULE parts or Lvl 10 (Not to mention this is much simpler than Lvl 10).

Thourne, you are right that Cocker's front block screw isn't moved around often, I guess that does make my point invalid with that example. However, there are other guns that constantly have o-rings moving (probably more so in one day of play than this would require in it's entire time of usage), and they don't get chewed up. I think it would be entirely possible.

Kevmaster
02-02-2004, 07:24 PM
they already tried it (although not exactly your way). They changed it for more than just simplicity. Having the banjo bolt orings was a pain in the arse. The idea is good in though, but bad in application

Ov3rmind
02-02-2004, 07:29 PM
So, the only real problem people have with it is the banjo bolt o-rings? Hmmmm *puts industrius mind to work on solution*

RRfireblade
02-02-2004, 09:40 PM
So, the only real problem people have with it is the banjo bolt o-rings? Hmmmm *puts industrius mind to work on solution*

I know how to do it.:D

Just thought of something.