http://www.webdogradio.us/video/oldschool/Budlight.wmv

Yes, I'm that fast

-Tyger

Kevmaster
02-01-2004, 11:05 PM
thanks B!

trevorjk
02-01-2004, 11:07 PM
i must say pretty entertaining non the less besides the whole safety issue crap and damn u are fast

Brophog
02-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks Tyger, top notch quality.

punkncat
02-01-2004, 11:18 PM
That is too darn funny!
I am going to be expecting some goon to light me up the next time I want a Bud Light.Lucky for me I don't drink it...

Wierd-Guy
02-01-2004, 11:31 PM
I don't like how it will be taken, but it I admit I laughed a good deal...

painball
02-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Thanks! I recorded the whole game on my other PC and I was gonna take the commercial outta it, but my brother stopped it a few minutes before it aired!

Overall I found it kinda funny. Though face protection would have been better for the image of our sport, but then it would degrade from the commercial. Facial expressions are hard to capture when they're under a mask. ;)

LeatherPants
02-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Gotta be recognisable to get those residuals;)

RRfireblade
02-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Yeah it's pretty funny.

Yeah,it's kinda a scary too.

Mostly at the end when they lay into him in front of the snack counter and you can just see the nose of the guy working the counter.:(

Oh well.

jayel579
02-01-2004, 11:38 PM
hey I love how it makes paintball players look like complete idiots. That is one great commmercial. Besides the fact I think close to half of this forum is not old enough to drink anyway.

sgt_easton
02-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Holy crap that was funny.

Although I don't know how motivated I would be playing for Bud Light. I'd play really hard if the prize was Guinness.

LeatherPants
Not only that in order to be in any beer commercial you have to be 25+.

$tevo
that was one of the better commercials. i was kind of upset with the commercials this year, werent that funny. and about the safety issue, i dont think anyone outside the sport would really even notice the lack of masks

Beemer
02-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Ha Ha I was having an MGD

Dam Tyger You are fast REALLY

Potatoboy
02-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Fast?

Bud had them up the instant they aired....

Higher quality too, and in three formats!

:p

Budweiser.com page (http://www.budweiser.com/commercials_04/select_media.html?c_id=7)

edweird
02-02-2004, 12:02 AM
"Fresh Smooth Real"

more like: Rotten Shoddy Imatation. Not only does it totally misrepresent the saftey limits we all accept as being crucial when playing paintball it brands us as a the very persons we try to keep out of our game.

2 thumbs down... way down

Chojin Man
02-02-2004, 12:14 AM
As long as it brings in more publicity to the sport I can live with it.

islandboi
02-02-2004, 12:17 AM
i personally thought it was funny

cphilip
02-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Leaving this one open.

No more please!

RingOfScale
02-02-2004, 12:31 AM
did it only air once ? i saw it right after the game ended,,, was that hte only time it showed ?

JT2002
02-02-2004, 12:59 AM
it think so. personall, fist thought was the bad image stuff, then i just started laughing. :D :D i really think more people out there were too busy laughing at it to even consider the safety stuff. also...

anyone see the bud commercial with the old scrappy lookin dog? and how he gets his owner a bud? ;) :rolleyes: :D
ask if you didnt see it... :D
btw this is it ;) :D http://www.budweiser.com/commercials_04/select_media.html?c_id=4
btw if u didnt see it, i just watched the one with cedric in the massage place or w/e, bikini wax lmao mad funny1
:D

i thought most of the commercials this year were pretty good. i just miss the 2 lizards and the ferret ;)

Rebel46_99
02-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Dang CPhil.... You talk about somebody being fast! CPhil has the fastest lock in town! :eek:

Thanks Tyger for your outstanding response in getting the link posted.

1Shot... I know after talking with the A-B guy what they were trying to do, but my point to him, as stated earlier, was the public perception that we're a trigger happy, shoot for any reason group without any concern for bodily harm or safety.

Yes, I will admit it was funny, and the guys (who aren't players) I watched the game with laughed their fannies off. But, they also made a couple of comments. To quote directly, "What a bunch of morons." and "This is what you play against?". Once again I had to explain to them that this is NOT what we do or how we go about it. They know how much I'm into PB and they weren't trying to be insulting. This just happened to be the first things to pop out of their mouths.

I know everyone will have a different take on the ad and that was my whole point in bringing it up before it aired, to get the word out and make people aware. AND, it was NOT meant to draw a flood of angry e-mails to Anheuser-Busch, although I think they might get a few anyway from other sources.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm out for the night.

DW

Skoad
02-02-2004, 01:38 AM
personally i thought it was kinda dumb.

desslock
02-02-2004, 01:47 AM
I wish my field at a walk up bar!!!!

Tyger
02-02-2004, 01:53 AM
My take, I didn't get it really. Were they shooting the ref becasue the game was being played for bud light? I think it was just poor writing on that aspect.

And, one other thing too... If you had a field with a walk-up bar, could you do 'shots for shots'?

Ahh, just means that paintball is in the 'mainstream'. Could be worse. The ref coulda had no goggles / glasses on....

-Tyger

AGD
02-02-2004, 03:06 AM
Putting the safety issues aside, this is a major milestone for paintball. This is the first time a major company has felt that paintball is worth a million dollar promotional investment.

Think about it people, they are investing somewhere between 1-2 million for that add. Of all the subjects they probably looked at, paintball came out on top. That's huge in my book!

AGD

Doc Nickel
02-02-2004, 05:06 AM
I agree.

First off, the "ref" was wearing at least safety glasses (IE, he was wearing something when they could have as easily had him with nothing at all.)

Second, the shooters aimed largely for his vest (I saw no hits higher than the collarbone. In fact many bounced completely, making me think they had the velocity absurdly low- probably 125 or so.)

However, it's still a "dumb redneck" stereotype, and heavily implies that beer is a regular paintball accessory.

Call it a wash, overall. Although PB is far too large now for even a really bad commercial or other public event (a drive-by or Bambi) to give us even a black eye.

Doc.

shartley
02-02-2004, 07:00 AM
I think this is a non-issue. It is great for paintball.

Safety issue? Yeah, like when the commercial with the horse farting and burning the woman? Unsafe things are constantly put in commercials for comic value. The public KNOWS what is real and what isn’t real. And coming from me, this next comment says A LOT….. some folks just want to complain about something. ;)

As for making paintball players “look” like rednecks…. What I saw actually LOOKED like EVERY field I have ever seen (that had styles other than JUST speedball and sup-air). And I don’t think it made paintball players look bad at all…. Not any more than the Pizza commercials make men look like dogs when a doorbell rings.

Commercials often play on stereotypes that we all know to be not quite how things really are.

Here is another one… how about the commercial where the guy tackles the other guy in the parking lot? Yeah.. THAT was safe to.

I do not however, think the commercial states that beer is a regular paintball “accessory”... far from it. To think that, would be to ignore any and all OTHER beer commercials or commercials that use a sport as a backdrop for the product.

Before we start crying about untrue representations of our sport in a COMICAL commercial, we need to first realize what a commercial is about, what it is for, and whether it is in keeping with all other commercials being aired for similar reasons. And yes, this one is.

Like Tom said, the fact that they USED paintball for their commercial say a lot… be HAPPY.

oldsoldier
02-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Ok, I cant view it here...thank god tomorrow I will be home for two weeks! I want to watch it...we were all so excited that the pats won...I forgot about the damned commercial.

PsychoBaller
02-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Video was kinda done non-safelike... if they were directy firing at that Ref guy and him only wearing those safety glasses... But i did notice that when he was getting hit, the shots looked kinda weak throughout the video... they mighta possibly put the velocity down on all those guns...

Furby
02-02-2004, 08:35 AM
#1: That was fricking hilarious.
#2: It'll be good for the sport.
#3: It was written alot like other Bud commercials...men playing sports as slobbering idiots. Funny seeing it applied to our sport. Even someone who doesn't know much about the sport will know that.

And at 1-2 million a spot, the fact that they chose one based around paintball is extremely good news...now we just have to get our friends within the industry to the point where they can afford spots like that...I think it'd be wonderful to see Claire or Rosey Garcia from Animal Paintball flouncing around promoting their respective companies during a primo time slot like that.

Evil Bob
02-02-2004, 09:25 AM
My favorite was "Good Dog" where the little runt dog mauls the yuppy's crotch.

Considering how much these venders paid for their spots, this really is a major milestone for our sport to think that Bud felt our sport was well known enough to be considered subject matter for something as big as the superbowl :)

-Evil Bob

Dye Angel Guy
02-02-2004, 11:16 AM
all I get is "cant find server"

1stdeadeye
02-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Funny!

Could have been worse. They could have had a group of rambos in full camo gear with the m-16 looking markers. That would have been far worse for the image then rednecks with spyders.

Two thumbs up!

GT
02-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by AGD
Putting the safety issues aside, this is a major milestone for paintball. This is the first time a major company has felt that paintball is worth a million dollar promotional investment.

Think about it people, they are investing somewhere between 1-2 million for that add. Of all the subjects they probably looked at, paintball came out on top. That's huge in my book!

AGD

ditto!

phantomhitman
02-02-2004, 02:32 PM
after waiting for it to come on i gave up and wnet outside. my girlfriend starting yelling for me so iran into the house only to see the end ofit. even she said "arent you suppose to wear goggle or something?". it is funny, and i do not think it will hurt the sport.

Miscue
02-02-2004, 02:53 PM
If they had masks on, the commercial would have sucked. You can't see their faces, or expressions... and that's a big part of the effect. Regardless of the real-life safety issue, I think the way they did it... is the way to go for TV.

1stdeadeye
02-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
If they had masks on, the commercial would have sucked. You can't see their faces, or expressions... and that's a big part of the effect. Regardless of the real-life safety issue, I think the way they did it... is the way to go for TV.

Too true! I don't think those Actors were hired for their stunning diction!;)

The only masks that could have allowed their redneck vibe to permeate are the X-Fire ones. Now wouldn't those hillbillies look funny in those orange clean room suits!;)

rdb123
02-02-2004, 06:03 PM
I thought it was the funniest one all night; the rest were all pretty bad.

Too bad it didn't do so well: http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/2004-super-bowl-ad-meter-chart.htm

Smoke
02-02-2004, 07:11 PM
I will admit....it was pretty funny.

Creative Mayhem
02-03-2004, 05:22 AM
LOL.. I like it. I really need the laugh too.

The general public doesn't know about the goggles/mask rule, so to have them covering their faces would have ruined the commercial. I think the ref could have been wearing actual goggles without the face and ear protection and still kept the effect. All in all, a good showing for paintball in general. Could this be one of the first major step to mainstream? Prolly not, but it is a step that can help paintball in general.

MantisMag
02-03-2004, 09:04 AM
well they were in the staging area. he was explaining how to play. that's why they weren't wearing thier goggles. although most of them had ski goggles and other assorted eye protectors around their necks, one guy did have paintball goggles sittting on top of his head.

thei3ug
02-03-2004, 09:36 AM
that commercial was GREAT!

I knew a ref who was JUST LIKE THAT DORK. he was the little bro of a teammate, so usually during the game instructions we'd sneak off and hit him once in the butt for laughs.

God, we'd get the other refs to give him such a hard time...

SAME facial expressions.

TWO THUMBS UP FOR THE DORKY REF.

Rebel46_99
02-03-2004, 04:23 PM
OK.... Unlike an ex-member of this forum, I freely admit I
was wrong about what I thought the reaction would be to
that commercial. I sincerely hope the perception by the
rest of the non-PB public is favorable. If it leads to more TV coverage, I'm all for it.

What confuses me is the various threads in the past where
members of this forum have moaned over how our sport is
portrayed in other TV shows, especially when it comes to the safety issue.

Oh, Wellll....

shartley
02-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Rebel46_99
OK.... Unlike an ex-member of this forum, I freely admit I
was wrong about what I thought the reaction would be to
that commercial. I sincerely hope the perception by the
rest of the non-PB public is favorable. If it leads to more TV coverage, I'm all for it.

What confuses me is the various threads in the past where
members of this forum have moaned over how our sport is
portrayed in other TV shows, especially when it comes to the safety issue.

Oh, Wellll....
I think the answer to that is a simple one….. when something is a spoof, more things are acceptable. And that commercial was clearly a spoof….. like a good portion of commercials now days.

SaS
02-03-2004, 05:28 PM
the ref covered his head..... and even turned to protect himself. most shots were on his back or side, besides from the first bursts which where on his front

though, would of been two thumbs up if they had a disclaimer on the bottom ie "do not try this at home" or "only play with approved eye protection"

but single thumbs up still... paintball on sports net and the superbowl, we're on the way up ladies and gentlemen:cool:

*edit* least 2 elbows and one hopper i see no paint at all. could be a sign that someone was thinking over there... at least a little:D

shartley
02-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Yes, a nice disclaimer and to use proper safety equipment would be nice. And actually I think that would not change the commercial at all. Heck, they do it for auto commercials and other types.

Maybe folks should send Budweiser a “Good job!” e-mail and just suggest the safety disclaimer at the bottom? I think it should be a positive e-mail though, and not one complaining.

SaS
02-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by shartley
Yes, a nice disclaimer and to use proper safety equipment would be nice. And actually I think that would not change the commercial at all. Heck, they do it for auto commercials and other types.

Maybe folks should send Budweiser a “Good job!” e-mail and just suggest the safety disclaimer at the bottom? I think it should be a positive e-mail though, and not one complaining.

agreed... writing one now

Blazingace
02-03-2004, 05:42 PM
I know the whole safety issue that we all know is very important, but that is a great commercial. I loved it.

JT2002
02-03-2004, 10:40 PM
sry just had to post this. heres soem real cashmoney for ya :D
http://www.pbnationmagazine.com/data/286/1072210695dscf0033.jpg
http://www.pbnationmagazine.com/data/286/1072210695dscf0034.jpg

UltimatePaintballer
02-04-2004, 06:10 PM
who is the guy with the yellow/orange numbered shirt infront of the first paintballer that talks? i know i have seen him but i can't remember where...

RoadDawg
02-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Anyone else notice that Budweiser is a sponsor of the PSP events? Anyways I thought it was funny and his eyes were protected. We must remember that back in the day that is what they used too. Yes it isn't the best safety but at least his eyes were covered. As far as the guy behind the bar since you don't see him how do you know he is there or isn't wearing a mask. Either way. I liked the commercial just for the humor factor. I don't drink Bud Light (Sammy all the way ;)) so I'm not gonna buy any. Still looks like safety was a big issue. Anyone tried speaking clearly through a big mask? Doesn't always come out clearly unless your yelling. Anyways.. Funny commercial poor product. :)