PDA

View Full Version : Always complaining!

Bushwood Bill
02-02-2004, 02:04 PM
I've been in paintball for about four years now and I always spent alot of money on gun upgrades and supplies. The problem with this is my wife. I usually spend about 1000 a year just on markers. I'm getting my pewter X-Mag at the end of the month and she is going nuts cause I will have spent about 2g's on everything I want for it. I tell her I could be doing other things than playing paintball(if you know what I mean). Does anybody else have problems with a nagging wife or girlfriend (or even parents)about spending to much money on paintball?

Mindflux
02-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Bushwood Bill
I've been in paintball for about four years now and I always spent alot of money on gun upgrades and supplies. The problem with this is my wife. I usually spend about 1000 a year just on markers. I'm getting my pewter X-Mag at the end of the month and she is going nuts cause I will have spent about 2g's on everything I want for it. I tell her I could be doing other things than playing paintball(if you know what I mean). Does anybody else have problems with a nagging wife or girlfriend (or even parents)about spending to much money on paintball?

Bad move insinuating the whole "if you know what I mean" thing. Now she's going to wonder.

Just remind her, it's a hobby. She needs one too. Not all hobbies are expensive, but show her what it would cost if you were an avid golfer.. or liked RC air-planes and such.

There are plenty of other hobbies that are more expensive.. Then again, 1000 a year on gear? I dunno, that may seem like a lot (it does to me).. why not buy some gear and use it for more than a year?

RoadDawg
02-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Ya. My girl only complains when we are low on money and I over spend. That I can see. Other then that she jokes with me about it and we move on.

Load SM5
02-02-2004, 02:12 PM
My wife is nothing but supportive. She bought a LCD Matrix for me late last year and is supporting me playing D3 X-Ball this season. It is'nt gonna be cheap and she's backing me all the way.

Heck ask her how much she spends on clothes, hair and makeup. That crap is insane!;)

Tell her it's what you love to do, and she should support you in that.

member#10,261
02-02-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm 18, I don't have a wife.
And my girlfriend and I are not financualy bonded (for lack of better words)

But my Mummy and Daddy are always in a fit whenever I buy anything for paintball. A will get a new squeege and they will ask how mush I wasted..."8 bucks"...and they start flippin out about how I should pay for my truck, and save for college, and whatnot, sometimes they threten to start charging rent, but I always tell them it was a good deal...it was on sale...I won't buy anything for a month...and other BS. My motto "whatever"

Thats right I called them mummy and daddy:cool:

Bushwood Bill
02-02-2004, 02:22 PM
She knows it's a great sport and I would not do anything else. I've been using the same cocker for about two years now and I do admit i have spent way to much on that da*n thing. She just does not understand the whole X-Mag deal cause I've been wanting one for the last year. I told her that mags are the <B>*POOF*</B> and I don't want any other marker.

<B>*Warning: No Cussing*</B> -Miscue

Crighton
02-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Depends on how you share money and how much free money you have to spend in the first place. Heck I'd be ragging you left right up and down if you say spent the car payment money on a X because you really wanted one.

WARPED1
02-02-2004, 02:39 PM
My fiancee left me because I was planning on opening a paintball store and field.

badinfo
02-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Heh, it could be worse even in paintball, I just talked to my brother, he is on guns 15 and 16 now, a set of Sterling pumps.
I went through the same stuff with my old girlfriend and reenacting stuff, which can run way more than pball especially if ya get involved in more than one time period.

cphilip
02-02-2004, 02:44 PM
My wife used to be upset about it... but after I got her medicated now she even buys em for me! :D

Oh...by the way Bill. I sent this thread to your wife... :eek: :)

robdamanii
02-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Thankfully my girl doesn't care much.

Much...

GT
02-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Does anybody else have problems with a nagging wife or girlfriend (or even parents)about spending to much money on paintball?

Hell no! I am about to buy her a dam house!(xmag times like 110} My wife doesnt care as long as I dont go back to racing cars. Now that is expensive!

Tobe2be
02-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Well i got this xmag for my girlfriend.. i think it was the best trade i ever did... but seriously. my girl makes her money i make mine.... why should she riff and complain if i keep her happy and i keep myself happy. she really doesnt see the purpose of the sport... all i say its an investment.

Crime Dog
02-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by member#10,261
I'm 18, I don't have a wife.
And my girlfriend and I are not financualy bonded (for lack of better words)

But my Mummy and Daddy are always in a fit whenever I buy anything for paintball. A will get a new squeege and they will ask how mush I wasted..."8 bucks"...and they start flippin out about how I should pay for my truck, and save for college, and whatnot, sometimes they threten to start charging rent, but I always tell them it was a good deal...it was on sale...I won't buy anything for a month...and other BS. My motto "whatever"

Thats right I called them mummy and daddy:cool:

Hate to break it to ya kid...but your "mummy and daddy" are right on the money.

Do you know how expensive it is to live!? Americans don't know how to SAVE money anymore. What are you gonna do when you have to move out, and flat broke because you DID waste your money on toys and didn't bother to budget anything for life?

I know...kinda harsh...but come on.

As far as the original question...well, 2K a year on new guns? Not to be rude, but that DOES seem a bit excessive. What's wrong with the other guns you had? ;) Not knowing your personal financial situation as a whole though, I don't think any of us can really comment? You saving? Putting away for retirement? Bills paid? Can you pay off your credit card balance without having to resort to the "minimum monthly payment?" (Many can't...because they charge way too much...)

Puttin' away money for your kids' education/weddings/whatever? Got a spending plan? Lots to think about.

Like I said, most of us Americans don't have a clue what it means to "save" anymore, because we always have to have the latest, greatest toy, and have to have it NOW. Kinda sad really...

robdamanii
02-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Crime Dog

Hate to break it to ya kid...but your "mummy and daddy" are right on the money.

Do you know how expensive it is to live!? Americans don't know how to SAVE money anymore. What are you gonna do when you have to move out, and flat broke because you DID waste your money on toys and didn't bother to budget anything for life?

I know...kinda harsh...but come on.

As far as the original question...well, 2K a year on new guns? Not to be rude, but that DOES seem a bit excessive. What's wrong with the other guns you had? ;) Not knowing your personal financial situation as a whole though, I don't think any of us can really comment? You saving? Putting away for retirement? Bills paid? Can you pay off your credit card balance without having to resort to the "minimum monthly payment?" (Many can't...because they charge way too much...)

Puttin' away money for your kids' education/weddings/whatever? Got a spending plan? Lots to think about.

Like I said, most of us Americans don't have a clue what it means to "save" anymore, because we always have to have the latest, greatest toy, and have to have it NOW. Kinda sad really...

Could be worse...
I generally update one part of my Dive gear each year (about 500 bucks) and take at least one 2500 dive trip per year.

Factor in paintball, golf, skiing and everything else I do, and it'd be a scary thing to look at.

Bushwood Bill
02-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
My wife used to be upset about it... but after I got her medicated now she even buys em for me! :D

Oh...by the way Bill. I sent this thread to your wife... :eek: :)

What kind of medacation do you have her on? I will send you some money for some :p

Bushwood Bill
02-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Crighton
Depends on how you share money and how much free money you have to spend in the first place. Heck I'd be ragging you left right up and down if you say spent the car payment money on a X because you really wanted one.

We have the money, but she says that her hobbies are cheap and my toys are so dam expensive. I say live with it!

fire1811
02-02-2004, 03:38 PM
mine used to complain a lot but then i told here i would spend double the cost of my marker on a engagement ring.
she shut right up and i havent heard a peep since.

Athius
02-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by WARPED1
My fiancee left me because I was planning on opening a paintball store and field.

I think that was BS dude.

Mindflux
02-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by fire1811
mine used to complain a lot but then i told here i would spend double the cost of my marker on a engagement ring.
she shut right up and i havent heard a peep since.

Doesn't that make her petty?

:confused:

fire1811
02-02-2004, 04:04 PM
uhhh that makes here quiet :)

dmocratic
02-02-2004, 04:08 PM
My wife doesn't give me any grief over spending
money on paintball. I've dropped I think a bit over
$3000 in the last month, and she doesn't mind.

Maybe that's because part of all that was a ULE body,
an X-Valve, a pair of barrels and a 68/4500 air tank
for her.

She has 3 'mags, I only own two.

NJPaint
02-02-2004, 04:11 PM
My girlfriend nagged me because when I got a micro e-mag it was for me... not for her... she doesn't play paintball, hell she's seen a field that wasn't even in use only once, but thought it looked 'pretty'.

WARPED1
02-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Athius

I think that was BS dude. Nope, she even moved accross coutry to the Seattle area.

GA Devil
02-02-2004, 04:46 PM
I started to have that problem..then talked the wife into play..now she spends just as much or more then me...lol Get her involved. Mine loves competition and its somethign we can enjoy together.

lord1234
02-02-2004, 05:34 PM
I have spent somewhere in the area of 2500-3000 dollars on paintball this year. Thats countin my upgrades from a classic mag, to an xvalved classic, to an xmag(and some trades in between)

However...seeing as i don't have to buy much more....i am happy and wont be spending more.

Also Crime Dog...
you really shouldnt be involved in thsi conversation since some of your paintball equipment was donated to you.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
02-02-2004, 06:11 PM
well you can always not tell her and hide the gun

FreakBaller12
02-02-2004, 06:15 PM
well if my parents did that they'd be hipocrits(sp).
My dad has thousands of dollars in guns. So he doesn't really mind that much, after i bought ym emag, yes he talked to me about it, he stopped naggin.

Crime Dog
02-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by lord1234
I have spent somewhere in the area of 2500-3000 dollars on paintball this year. Thats countin my upgrades from a classic mag, to an xvalved classic, to an xmag(and some trades in between)

However...seeing as i don't have to buy much more....i am happy and wont be spending more.

Also Crime Dog...
you really shouldnt be involved in thsi conversation since some of your paintball equipment was donated to you.

Excuse me?

I have every right to be in this conversation...seeing as I wasn't spending since I didn't have it in the budget. Just because I was given equipment disqualifies me from commenting on issues of finances? I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more.

And since I've gotten back to the sport, I saved some of my money for the customizations I added to the Emag and the PGP. Again, it's about budgeting, and communication with one's spouse.

The #1 reason for divorce is the issue of finances.

Man. Not sure what that was about...but cut me some slack. I commented because I've had some experience in this area dude...

MMM
02-02-2004, 06:44 PM
For every dollar you spend on paintball give a dollar to her. Make a bank account if you want, marriages are supposed to be 50/50, take it literally. See if that placates her. If you don't like how much she's getting stop spending. I personally like the one for you two for me method but that's what my husband knew he was marrying into. We spend A LOT in pantball gear....

GT
02-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Crime Dog

The #1 reason for divorce is the issue of finances.

I think that is an excuse most people use. I think the issue is much deeper than mear finances.

jb

SpecialBlend2786
02-02-2004, 08:03 PM
my girl thinks i'm stupid for spending so much on paintballing. But she knows i love it so all she really does is make fun of me. It's funny cause i got her younger brother addicted to the sport, and now he's spending also.

magking1971
02-02-2004, 08:07 PM
My EX wife has no say in the matter any more:D ;)
The only advice I can give is get a divorce, you will be sooooooo(!) much more happy and have lots of time to play paintball.;)

tyrion2323
02-02-2004, 08:34 PM
I've gotten my school to pay for all of my paintball costs! My parents have been congratulating me!

Digits
02-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by tyrion2323
I've gotten my school to pay for all of my paintball costs! My parents have been congratulating me!

How did you manage that?

And my parents used to care.. At the very start.. But now they support it, because it's one of the few things me and my brother really enjoy doing, hell they even play sometimes, and they do like it..

My 'non paintball' friends though, they think it's stupid.. But it's the exact same as spending 1000 bucks on snowboard crap.. But I don't call that stupid..

Damn hipocrites (sp?)

WARPED1
02-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Hypocrates.

badinfo
02-02-2004, 10:26 PM
hypocrites

Athius
02-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by WARPED1
Nope, she even moved aceross coutry to the Seattle area.

Damn!! :eek:

paintcatcher
02-03-2004, 01:06 AM
my fiance thinks it's a lame excuse. but paintball is the onlt thing i'm really "good" at. i trade guns and equipment so she generally doesn't have much to say about it anymore. it really come down to spending time with the family.
she thinks i don't spend enough time with our kids and i say she's wrong. i spend as much time with the kid's as i do at work (at least eight hours a day). so what if i take 25.00 and five hours every two weeks, small price to pay to see my friends since i have basically none where we live now

Kasper
02-03-2004, 05:34 AM
... Here's what I've learned so far. In the beginning, my main goal was to find a girl with the same hobbies and interests. Which I did...

Then I bought a new dirtbike ($5100.00), and my fiancee rode it and loved it... and she went and picked out hers ($6500.00)... I bought a new mtn. bike ($2700.00), and she got hooked on the sport. So she wanted one too ($3600.00)... Oh it doesn't stop there. Over time we discovered we had more interest in common... It turns out we both love sport bikes (mine= '01 CBR 929... hers= '03 gsxr 750)... We also love off roading (my pre-runner wasn't her style, so she bought and lifted a Ford Expedition). This has been a pattern in our relationship, which recently turned to include paintball (She really liked my RT PRO... and her x-mag should be here anyday)

Yes, it's a fun relationship. We're in love, spiraling deeper and deeper into debt together. But the point is, we're together... and that's what matters.

My advice to you... find a girl with a cheep hobby or interest. Maybe one whose into books! You sign her up for the book of the month club, and she's happy for life... And when she wants to come out and play with you, say NO! She'll either hate the sport and nag you for doing it, or she'll love it and you'll have to outfit her with all the gear! It's a lose / lose situation...

Mindflux
02-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Kasper
Yes, it's a fun relationship. We're in love, spiraling deeper and deeper into debt together. But the point is, we're together... and that's what matters.

And when she leaves you.. she'll leave YOU with the debt. Don't say it hasn't happened, or can't happen. It did to me. I'm STILL feeling the reprocussions of it, 6 years later.

shartley
02-03-2004, 09:06 AM
I don’t ever get flack from my wife about paintball spending. I know how much we have, and how much we don’t have. My family and bills come first, and most of my paintball spending comes from my business account anyways. Funny how owning a paintball related company can cause some very interesting tax write-offs due to “business related” spending. :D

(Of course you have to SPEND it to claim it though…. Grrrrrr)

Athius
02-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Just ignore them guys when they start complainin just say "uhmmm..oh ok...allright...whatever u say.." Just do this and then a litle joke so that things get cooled a litle bit and the argument is over.