PDA

View Full Version : Wireless 802.11g PCI adapter suggestions?

painball
02-02-2004, 09:57 PM
I am configuring a wireless home network. I have a Microsoft Base Station already (I know..I know...POS microcrap). So now all I need is some adapters, but I'm stuck between which to get. I've been reading reviews on some and how incompatible drivers, poor connection, etc. So, what do you guys suggest?

By the way, the computers I'll be connecting wirelessly are a win98 and winXP. In case of driver compatability issues...

i_baked_cookies
02-02-2004, 10:11 PM
do not get netgear!!

horrible, horrible peices of you-know-what, and good luck getting them to work with xp. linksys is the best.

Ironmag
02-02-2004, 10:22 PM
I had a Netgear Router and had to reset that POS atleast 6 times a day. Then I went to get a Linksys and has been perfect. Later on I got a Linksys PCI Wireless-G card and has also been running perfect. IMO Netgear blows, Linksys is the way to go.

i_baked_cookies
02-02-2004, 10:24 PM
oh yea, i forgot to add this

if you have a laptop, get a PCMCIA card. its twice as fast as USB.

i used to have a usb, it was as slow as dialup. then i got a pcmcia one and i can play cs and download stuff at the same time and keep a steady 50 ping

painball
02-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Any specific models you reccomend? I've read reviews that some Linksys adapters have compatability issues.

ProjectMag
02-02-2004, 11:05 PM
D-Link or Linksys, you can't go wrong with either.

RT pRo AuToMaG
02-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Wow! I have a netgear 802.11 g router and it works great! I have gone through 2 Linksys routers, they are crap. For the people that didn't like the netgear routers, did you configure it properly? What model did you have? I have the Netgear WRG614 and it works great. Ultra fast.

Jimmi9999
02-03-2004, 12:47 AM
i have a d-link wireless usb adapter i couldn't believe how small it was. with windows xp installation was easy, it was the configuration i had problems with. i haven't had problems with the usb being slow, of course i'm using a desktop comp. and it has a transfer rate up to 11mbps which is more than fast enough to keep up with my modem. i haven't had any problems with it yet

cphilip
02-03-2004, 10:06 AM
I am using an Apple Airport at work and a Linksys at home. Both working great. No problems. The Apple is simpler to set up really but its pricey.

RT pRo AuToMaG
02-03-2004, 04:57 PM
oh yes, I forgot to mention, DO NOT GET ANY USB ROUTERS! Make sure you get an ethernet router using cat5 cables.