PDA

View Full Version : All things concernig CO2

XTrogdorX
02-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Before I get started, I just want to make sure that compressed air is not an option, so please don"t reply and elll me to upgrade to compressed air, I don't care how cheap the tanks are these days, they won't help me for I won't be able to refill it. Now on to the "dreaded Co2"

What are the things that would help me best run a minimag on Co2?

I was looking at palmer stabilizers and they suggested it be used as the first part of a 2 stage system. What is the second stage? Is it already on the marker?

Would an expansion chamber help? would be overkill combined with the aformentioned stabilizer?

What is anti-siphoning?

Would a remote-hose help.

What products would you recomend to help the marker run smoothly on Co2?

I know a little bit about the whole subject matter, but I could really benefit from some sound advice, and I believe that others could too. Thank you in advance for any valuable information that you provide.

DeerChaser
02-02-2004, 10:40 PM
I ran a classic for 1 year on Co2. I had a ACI 4 stage ex chamber and a ACI coiled remote. Never had a problem. I didnt really need the X chamber. The coldest I played was 37F outside, still no ill effects.

bokraham
02-02-2004, 10:55 PM
I use co2 through a coiled remote. I had a little problem in 30 degree weather but that s it. Do not get antosiphon, if liquid does go in there it will act as a straw and keep on sucking.

nobloodloss
02-02-2004, 11:11 PM
a remote is a coiled hose able to sustain high psi's(commonly up to 3k), it will allow you to carry an air source attached by a harness, you may want to add a slide check valve or a pro disconnect,so that you can remove the hose off the gun with out reaching behind you yo turn off the asa.
iff you would rater have the bottle on a dropp, I would reccomend the THOR reg. from PMI which will act as a primary and can connect right to your mag valve

soccer4minimags
02-03-2004, 12:33 AM
save your money on the stabilizer. Either use the aci 4 stage as mentioned earlier or go vertical bottle. Both give good results. The aci is about $35 in most places. Vertical bottle should cost you nothing extra on a minimag. If you don't like the feeling of not having something to shoulder run the tank vertical bottle and look for a stock.
Vertical bottle will be the cheapest by far, you don't have to buy any additional hose or asa's or anything for the stock minimag.

Enemy
02-03-2004, 02:40 AM
worked at a field for about 2 years had lots of mags on remotes and very little had problems... umm if you dont mind the inconvience of a line going from your back to the gun that would be good.. vertically mounting works really well as long as there is enough heat out looking for about 60 degrees there plus your hand should warm up the bottle too. also a very good reg that i have seen little problems with is the stock wgp reg...pmi also has there new reg out and it is both an expansion and reg it works well at night her in vegas even in 45 degree weather. also the second stage would be the built in reg on the minimag thats whats in side the A.I.R. valve which stands for advanced integrated regulator. anyways havent ever seen mags with problems runing on co2 cuz most people did one of the things i mentioned hope that helps

XTrogdorX
02-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks a lot for your info so far. If anybody has anything new to add feel free to add your 2 cents.

Benz
02-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Would all of this be the same for a 68 Powerfeed automag

YopuTheClown
02-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I have had some problems with CO2 in my mag as well, but only in the winter. Expansion chamber, remote line, all that will help. But in play under 30°F outside, you're going to have problems unless you are *very* selective with your shots. As you know, CO2 gets wicked cold when you unload on somebody. And those metal guns aren't gonna warm up in wether below freezing.

But for normal play, indoors, spring, summer, fall, you should have no problems out of CO2.

hitech
02-03-2004, 08:09 PM
I ran a classic 'mag on CO2 with a coiled remote and a stabilizer. Worked very well for me, NEVER any problems. Then again, I am in California an the coldest I used it in was about 45 degrees. :D

YopuTheClown
02-03-2004, 08:30 PM
CALIFORNIA!? You suck. I'm in Ohio; bunch of us played last weekend; it was 22°. I had received advice a while back on trying to keep the bottle warm; but there is no way. I had a neoprene sleeve with two chemical body warmers and it still froze up.

Most of those expansion chambers are aluminum, and they get cold real fast. The longer I managed to keep that warm, the better it shot. I think a remote line would be better; run it close to your body under a few layers of cloths; it'll keep the gas in the line warm. An expansion chamber could slow the cold from creeping to your reg/valve; second line of defense. But you're pretty limited with CO2.

Enemy
02-03-2004, 08:45 PM
classics and minis use the same valves, just like the x,rts, and e-mags use the same rt valve the only guns you will see much difference is old field rentals their power tubes are shorter and the rts not rt pros for the rts supply the air through the rail...

nobloodloss
02-06-2004, 05:11 PM
the only problem with using co2 in the cold is that the ambient cold temps reduce the pressure of co2 stored in the bottle.
Once the co2 regardless of temps, needs to go through a reg to be stablelized to a good working pressure; needed by the valve,in the case of the mag valve that would be 650(psi)(that might not be exact but close).With a primary reg. runnin at about 850(psi) off the bottle feedin an expansion chamber that you might use a a foregrip would help.Once co2 has entered the expansion chamber though playing in cold weather can return back to its original pressure realated to the outside cold tmps (too low) would cause a nother drop in pressure, if you wait to long to cycle it out.
do you know where there is a fire station that might consider filling an HPA tank for you? I've heard they would. They normally use compressed air to fight fires you know;)

electriceel125
02-06-2004, 10:03 PM
I have the same problem and cant fill HPA. The vertical bottle works well. i used it when it was about 35-40 with no trouble and im not very selective with my shots. Im trying a palmer stablizer to help. I dont think it will hurt the reg because the you can have the output on the stabalizer at 900psi which is more than you need. An expansion chamber and antisiphoned c02 works good to. good luck

PyRo
02-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Would an expansion chamber help? would be overkill combined with the aformentioned stabilizer?
Some people use both, and it works.

What is anti-siphoning?
There is a tube going from the valve to the ipper side of the tank (upper being the highest point when it is screwed in) so it takes in air and not liquid. NEVER USE AN ANTISYPHON WITH A REMOTE OR VERTICAL BOTTLE. Thats important, if you do it will suck in liquid and freeze the gun up very quickly.

Would a remote-hose help.
Yes, alot.

What products would you recomend to help the marker run smoothly on Co2?
Any kind of expansion, remote, longer hoses, stabalizer, anti-syphon