PDA

View Full Version : 2-way Radio Communications

DarkPhoenix
09-15-2001, 10:20 PM
What do you think about using encrypted 2-way radio communications during paintball games?

Miscue
09-15-2001, 10:27 PM
Very bad. People off field can reveal opponent location.

For recball however... sure why not.

Xzion
09-15-2001, 10:28 PM
I approve of them, makes for more intresting games when you can coordinate your team members without having to call it out for everyone within earshot to hear.

Whisper
09-15-2001, 10:57 PM
I'm all for my opponents using two way radios. Even a hushed voice can travel pretty far through quiet woods, and it's nice to know when someone is talking and not paying attention to me.
Two of my friends bought Motorola radios, and that is exactly what happened. First I waited to move until I heard someone talking, then I moved, then I shot him. Yeah, radios definitely work well.

krafty
09-16-2001, 06:59 AM
We've used hand-held CBs for ref-to-ref communication on large fields before. The first time we used portable radios for a real game, we lost 2 of them. (1 got hit by a paintball and was toast, the other fell off the guys harness and got trampled. Kiss $200 goodbye.

I don't see the problem in rec-ball, especially in large scenerio games where you need to know where large groups of players are. Tournaments? No way.

Eagle
09-16-2001, 07:12 AM
DarkPhoenix, they finally let you stand down huh, good. I use some FRS radios sometimes. Not encrypted, but definetly helpful.

mac2k4
09-16-2001, 08:34 AM
no its not going to happen in tourneys, but for woods, it doesn't matter

Evil Bob
09-16-2001, 11:39 AM
For tourny games, being that they're played on small fields, radio gear is pretty much useless.

For large rec games in the woods and 24 hour scenario games, radios are a must, you're usually spread out over a very big playing area where yelling to each other is not very practical.

When I play in scenario games, I use two radios, one is a motorola FRS used for command and control traffic and the other is a Maxxon short range FM used for squad operations. Both are setup for remote push to talk with earpiece combo microphones, that way I can wisper if necessary.

Evil Bob

Skyssx
09-16-2001, 04:18 PM
In tournies, no way, the games are too short anyways. In scenarios and big games they can be fun, but you should always use them by exception, that is only when necessary. During the 40 theives scenario, several of us were listening to everyone conversations and sitreps over the radio, we were able to anticipate attacks and find out their weaknesses. I use a yaesu Ft-50 dual band ham radio modified (legally) for extended recieve and transmit, I will put the radio in my camel back with a +3db gain whip antenna and a ear bud/mic. I leave it on 500mW power output 90% of the time, I can bump it up to 5 watts if need be. If you can, get the people on your team/scenario group to obtain ham radio licenses, get an ARRL book from you local ham store or maybe even radio shack. A no code technician license takes about a week to prepare for, costs $6 to take the test and is good indefinately. They restructured the licensing system since I got mine but it's still a similar test. The advantage of this is that practically NO other paintball players have or use this band during play, it will be completely free and probably unmonitored. A word on the "encryption" of FRS radios, it doesn't encrypt at all, it transmits totally in the clear. What the privacy codes do is add a subaudible tone to your transmission so the squelch on the recieving radio won't open unless it is programmed to the same code. Most ham radios can scan and find out what privacy code you are using and could be used to inject misinformation into the enemy's channels. For more info check out www.arrl.com

zvanut
09-16-2001, 07:37 PM
i disagree, however, if u r talkin recball or scenarios yes, but w/ tournys IMHO its would just ba one of those things that would ruin it.