PDA

View Full Version : anybody wanna buy a poster?

yeahthatsme
02-03-2004, 03:29 AM
somebody isn't gonna be happy when they win this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3658645416&category=16048

SpecialBlend2786
02-03-2004, 03:56 AM
wow...you could almost buy a used Timmy for that price...

yeahthatsme
02-03-2004, 03:59 AM
you could buy a used classic for that price...

Chojin Man
02-03-2004, 04:49 AM
wow a $500 poster. sucks for who ever pays for that.

Creative Mayhem
02-03-2004, 05:43 AM
D'OH!!!! :eek:

FreakBaller12
02-03-2004, 06:56 AM
haha, wow that would suck so bad, well if you don't read it, that's what you get.

Halliday
02-03-2004, 08:35 AM
That's great. I need to make posters of my E-mag.... yeah, that's the ticket :)

BobTheCow
02-03-2004, 10:15 AM
God, the sad part is that 11 people actually bid on the, err, posters...

cpm666
02-03-2004, 10:40 AM
"Please Note I Only Sell Posters of Items not the actual goods."

wow its amazing how stupid people are these days. but it doesnt surprise me that it has 11 bids. lol

Phil
02-03-2004, 01:03 PM
There is a guy selling A4 posters as well. Criminals preying on dumb or careless folks.

GT
02-03-2004, 01:53 PM
people have killed for less than what is defrauding for.

RoadDawg
02-03-2004, 02:10 PM
I've seen Angel posters go that high as well. Makes me wonder why I'm not trying that. Maybe it's my morals.

BlackHalo
02-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Apparently this guy is from where I live.

not cool

Cryer
02-03-2004, 02:59 PM
wow. thats sooo nuts.
Perfectly legal, too, it seems like.

Up to 680, now.:o

-=Squid=-
02-03-2004, 03:07 PM
I personally dont find this misleading. In the title he puts PS, im assuming for poster. It says wait for the poster picture to load. It says you only get a poster. The picture is a scan of the timmy poster. Personally, those people are stupid and are obviously gonna have to pay.

RoadDawg
02-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
I personally dont find this misleading. In the title he puts PS, im assuming for poster. It says wait for the poster picture to load. It says you only get a poster. The picture is a scan of the timmy poster. Personally, those people are stupid and are obviously gonna have to pay.

I agree it's the buyers onw stupidity. I still wouldn't be able to accept a $600+ m/o for a poster. Just wouldn't sit right with me.

-=Squid=-
02-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Ya I know... I would feel to guilty to accept it.

sbpyro
02-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Reminds me of the PS2 craze a couple of years back.
I knew someone who paid 150 for a PS2 picture and was very unhappy. Again a fool and his bling bling are soon parted.

NJPaint
02-03-2004, 05:18 PM
This is illegal and against ebay rules. This happend a while back, with plasma TVs and the guy got sued and lost.

It all comes down to the guy's intent. And by the way he is trying to "cover" himself, he is try to get people to think its a gun, not a poster, hence pictures of different things instead of pictures of the poster alone.

rikkter
02-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by NJPaint
This is illegal and against ebay rules. This happend a while back, with plasma TVs and the guy got sued and lost.

It all comes down to the guy's intent. And by the way he is trying to "cover" himself, he is try to get people to think its a gun, not a poster, hence pictures of different things instead of pictures of the poster alone.

i'm not grasping why its 'illegal'...
no where does it say they're getting a gun, but they are getting the poster. if that
they all look like the same exact photo of a gun. (the red one) the position is all the same. i think the 'refuse to lose' one is photoshopped to have the blue one added.(except for very first picture)

now if he started the auction at anything over 100, then that just brings up another whole side..

NJPaint
02-03-2004, 06:03 PM
The intent of that auction is to get someone who thinks that it is a gun they are buying, not a poster. That is against the rules. The intent is evident in that the guy uses pictures of different Timmys. If he is selling A poster, why would you have pictures of other posters in your eBay post?

Edit: also, note that he put the post in the paintball "markers" section, another thing to point that he was trying to make people think that it was a "marker" that he was selling, not a poster.

Steelrat
02-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Its wrong (not illegal) because the part about the posters is in small type, and is at the bottom, where it looks like standard ebay mumbo jumbo. If he wasnt trying to fool people, why didnt he put "Dragon Intimidator Posters" instead of Dragon PS. Let the buyer beware is a terrible attitude. I take it you support con artists ripping off old people by giving them deals so laden down with small print that folks can never decipher it. He set it up to look like a real acution, and even placed it in the "markers" section. He was just trying to cover his butt by adding the blurb at the bottom. Pathetic. I would have hoped that some of the people defending what he did had a little more moral fiber.

~WarpedRT#2~
02-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Also please note, just because other bidders are there doesnt mean that they actually exist. He could have friends or other accounts in which he uses to up the number of bids. Think about it, when you bid, he might be right there with you bidding under another name. If you want it bad enough, he just bids again and again against you. The worst he can do, is buy it from himself. Hows that work? He just takes out his wallet, lifts the money out, and immediatly puts it back in!

Digits
02-04-2004, 12:11 AM
big deal.. It's not like anyone would actually pay if they found out it was just a poster.. If they NEVER found out, then they would be pissed, but if they realizes it was they just wouldn't pay, I know I wouldn't

logamus
02-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by ~WarpedRT#2~
Also please note, just because other bidders are there doesnt mean that they actually exist. He could have friends or other accounts in which he uses to up the number of bids. Think about it, when you bid, he might be right there with you bidding under another name. If you want it bad enough, he just bids again and again against you. The worst he can do, is buy it from himself. Hows that work? He just takes out his wallet, lifts the money out, and immediatly puts it back in!

good theory except for the part where ebay deducts its fee from the amount your auction sells for.

this guy is scum. if he was an honest trader he would have the word "poster" all over the description and at the very top of the auction. he is simply tring to get some ppl to fall into his trap. by making it a private autction others cannot warn the bidders of what is going on, they just have to find out the hard way. ebay should ip ban everyone that does this crap.

lilc8un
02-04-2004, 01:21 AM
notice hes the buyer on all his feedback, pretty recent transactions too, i wonder if he just started the account a couple months ago just to scam people with a couple quick positives

islandboi
02-04-2004, 01:42 AM
if im bidding that much id look over everything really careful...

The Frymarker
02-04-2004, 08:26 AM
I think the buyer would have a dispute, I looked at it several times and in the title it says "Brand New Bob Long Dragon Intimidator PS"

PS that could really mean anything.

Then it states "Wait for the poster to load below"

"IMPORTANT DETAILS READ FULLY BEFORE BIDDING!

POSTAGE AND PACKAGING IS COMPLETELY FREE.

ASK ALL QUESTIONS BEFORE BIDDING

ALL NON PAYERS WILL HAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK LEFT AND REPORTED TO EBAY!

PAYMENT IS BY PAYPAL

ONLY SERIOUS BIDDERS ONLY"

No where does it actually state that you are buying a poster, it says wait for one to load, it doesn't specifically say "YOU ARE BUYING A POSTER"

That was the sellers problem and thought it would be a comical way to get around on a buyer and ebay.

So this will more than likely be disputed.

mcveighr
02-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Please Note I Only Sell Posters of Items not the actual goods.

-=Squid=-
02-04-2004, 10:24 AM
It doesnt say your getting a timmy either... it says your getting a poster. There isnt a picture of an actual gun, its a poster, it says your waiting to see a poster, it says your buying a poster. Buyers fault.

TheTramp
02-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Someone should just create a crap account and bid $2,000 for it and when he comes for the money tell him to go ahead and report the whole thing to E-Bay.

The Frymarker
02-04-2004, 10:39 AM
I didn't see where it said the seller only sells posters....hehe I guess my eyes are as bad as the buyers!

Well at any rate what the seller has done is totally horrible and he/she should be reported.

His own common sense should say this is wrong and close the auction.:rolleyes:

Barfly
02-04-2004, 10:46 AM
This is very misleading. It sais brand new Dragon Intimidator PS, what does PS stand for is it another version of the timmy who knows. It then states waite for the poster to load below, okay he has a few different pics of timmies here, so that must be what he is selling. At the bottom in fine print it states 8 "Please note I only sell posters of items not the actual goods."

FallNAngel
02-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Someone should just create a crap account and bid $2,000 for it and when he comes for the money tell him to go ahead and report the whole thing to E-Bay.

Hmm... I wonder how well that will actually work though. In the event of a non-paying bidder, ebay will allow you to repost the auction a second time. If it sells, you pay the fees once. If it doesn't, you pay them both I think. I'll have to ask my fiance about that.

hardr0ck68
02-04-2004, 03:48 PM
i think its super slick....evil, and dirty yeah, but super slick. Right now its at $800, thats like a 10,000% profit!! Smart Parts should hire him!!

Jeffy-CanCon
02-04-2004, 03:48 PM
I understand and endorse the principle of "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware), but I think this is very unethical. I have reported it to eBay as a possible mis-titled item. Let them sort it out.