PDA

View Full Version : windows Xp pro?

Southpaw
02-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Ok I have xp pro as an os when I restart my computer I get a message that says bad boot.ini ( I think that is the file) I used the original disc to start from but it asks for a admin password and as far as i know I never set one. the question is there a generic "master" password?

MarkM
02-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Assuming you have a user account type the same password, it is somewhat like the computer name you generated when you did the install...ie you can leave it or set your own

Southpaw
02-03-2004, 09:03 PM
That is what is odd i do not need a password for anything. I have no idea what i would have picked as a password. Is there any way to do a partial install?

pbzmag
02-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Do a full install. It will see that it has a prior install and asks if you want to repair it. Do the repair and it will reinstall the windows files but will keep all your installed apps. You might need to rerun the Windows Update.

Southpaw
02-04-2004, 03:28 AM
that is the problem it wants the admin password and I dont have it :mad:

MarkM
02-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Repair only works if you installed the ASR after you did the full install...kinda like making a boot disk after you installed win98 ;) Bite the bullet and lose all your data and reinstall from scratch...then this time install the ASR when you are done installing XP...I have the 2 inch thick from Microsoft that tells you how to do it and lots more besides, I bought that book because of Messenger issues but all fixed now...but for such a large book I have mislaid it :(
When you normally started windows did it go straight to the desktop? Or do you click on your name and enter a password? If you do that then use that password, if not then try just simply using the enter key if none of that works full reinstall and reformat time.

f3rr3+
02-04-2004, 05:34 PM
well, unless whats previously stated works... reinstalling windows isnt that bad... ive done it like 10 times in the past year :P after you get the driver sites memorized its not that hard... and THEN when you actually get smart enough to put em on a disk its a piece of cake :P

Southpaw
02-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Well I just reinstalled the whole os :mad: I had to look for the key for a long time. Oh well all is good now. thankyou for the help. Now I just have to download the updates :mad:

P.s. It works great to write the key on the disk. From now on that is what I will do. :mad:

WickeDKlowN
02-04-2004, 08:48 PM
I remember a while back hearing you could use a Win 2K cd to boot into the administrative console w/o a password. If it still works, do that and edit your boot.ini