PDA

View Full Version : choosing the correct barrel insert/back

Bad_Dog
02-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Hey all, with the purchase of my freak kit, my mag is now complete. I waited to get the freak last, because it's the part of my setup that I know the least about... Now when it comes to choosing the right insert for your size of paint what do YOU find to work best? From what I've shot through the freak since it arrived, I found that having the paint fit in the insert so that when you hold it up to a light, a very very small ring of light (barly visible) gets let through; works the best. I've never been tought how to properly choose the proper size of insert so what better place to go to than the lovly community of AO:)

RRfireblade
02-04-2004, 12:33 AM
That's basically it.everyone has thier own variations.Some will say,if you can blow it through but it doesn't roll through on it's own.Pretty much the same idea.It should be snug but not tight.

Jay.

Wc Keep
02-04-2004, 10:19 AM
.i take 3 balls and put them one by one into the insert. if i can blow it and hit a teammate several feet away without it rolling out then its a good fit. if it blows and it shoots out but its kinda week i try another insert.

camilion705
02-04-2004, 12:39 PM
blowgun technique is the easiest. I just choose the insert that shoots the paint the furthest. It gets really tricky when you are using mixed paint...

FallNAngel
02-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Start with the smallest insert and work my way up. When they consistantly fit in the insert and can be blown out, that's the one I take.

robdamanii
02-04-2004, 12:56 PM
The blow test works pretty well. I find that if they do have a just a hair of space around them you get better accuracy.

tony3
02-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Find the insert that works best using the blow test, then move up 1 size. What if you get one "large" ball, barrel break. Play it safe, go up 1 insert.

Joni
02-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Anybody have tips for how to do the blow-test in an automag barrel? It's really hard to cover the feed hole and detent hole. Oh well, my Custom RTP should be here in a couple of weeks, so I won't have to worry anymore =)

cphilip
02-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Joni
Anybody have tips for how to do the blow-test in an automag barrel? It's really hard to cover the feed hole and detent hole. Oh well, my Custom RTP should be here in a couple of weeks, so I won't have to worry anymore =)

Well in the case he is talking about you just do the inserts. But I know what you mean. It can be done. You have to really get your hand over that hole good. But it can be done.

The comment about going up one size from the "right" fit is indeed what I heard SP people were telling users to do with Freaks. And there is a logical argument for loser fit than we traditionaly have been using. Wastes a bit more air but for proper fit and accuracy there is a good argument for doing this.

-=Squid=-
02-04-2004, 07:12 PM
I find the smallest insert I can blow a ball through, then I go one down from that.

barberjohn
02-04-2004, 08:22 PM
i do believe that they blow test wins, as i also use it. i just stay with whatever bore it blows through, and i dont usually have any problems. yet it is a good idea to go down one size, just in case that a big ball comes.

cphilip
02-04-2004, 08:55 PM
I think you mean up a size? Larger?

The theory of going loser has to do with air being allowed to rush around the ball as it accelerated down the barrel keeping it more centered and not distorting it as much. Something like that. Even though its going to waste a bit more air.

tony3
02-04-2004, 09:38 PM
And if the air cushions it, it has less of a chance to hit the side of the barrel and break, something like that. I hate talking about barrel physics. Also I hope you guys mean go up a size, not down;)

rdb123
02-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Air cushions??? Didn't SP hype that back in the day?