PDA

View Full Version : Logo Contest

GA Devil
02-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Want to win $50 towards paintball gear? Now is your chance. A new internet store is opening up soon and is in need of an eye catching logo. The store is Devil's Den Paintball. You can visit it at www.devilsden.tv.

Deadline for entry is Feb. 25, 2004. All entries to be sent to contest@devilsden.tv winner will be announced March 1st.

Submit as many entries as you wish. 1 will be chosen. Please include your AO screen name. Must be formatted in jpg or gif. Must be original work and will become property of Devil's Den Paintball at end of contest. Winner will be given the credit for the logo design on the site. Winner will receive a $50 gift voucher to Devil's Den Paintball.

Rules:
Devil's Den Paintball as well as Devilsden.tv must be incorporated into the logo somewhere somehow.

So rock and roll kiddies and show us what you got! The devil is watching!

GA Devil
02-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Feel free to ask any questions. Ive seen some awsome stuff here in AO.

phantomhitman
02-05-2004, 07:49 PM
im gonna try to enter. i have to find free time from classes and work first.
are you looking for a simple graphics logo? which is similiar to a good website graphic.
or are you looking for a more detailed drawing?
that way i know how technical to get. thanks for any answers.

GA Devil
02-05-2004, 08:00 PM
A good website graphic should do fine. No need for Extensive detail as long as it grabs attention and is in the theme of the name. The graphic will be used on the site as well as promotions for the store. Hope that helps a little. If not let me know.

phantomhitman
02-05-2004, 08:04 PM
that answer my questions. ill see what i can do. :D

Carbon
02-05-2004, 08:49 PM
GA Devil and to other small bussiness owners looking for a logo. Take my advice as a designer in the industry. Go to a graphic proffessional. Sometimes the logo you like/pick is not always the ideal solution to your graphic problem. Readability, visibility, appropriateness and general aesthetics are but a few concerns that may arise. A logo has to sum your bussiness in a fraction of a second.

There will arise a need when you may one day, may want ro reproduce or fabricate your logo into some thing that better reflects your services. Do it right the first time. Wether your establishment is on the net or of geographical locale (storefront), you must consider how the image of your logo will attract YOUR customers or POTENTIAL customers.

Designers, I know as budgets are concerned, are you a aware that $300 - $500 is mereley an asking price for a logo USAGE LICENSE? And what your logo is used on, is also also a matter of usage legality as well. Designers, you have the right on how your logo is applied or distributed, that is until the rights/logo is sold.

Suppose you get a logo for a $50 certificate. The designer one day, decides to be a jerk. Assunming you have not read the fine print and the designer decides to sue for misuse/missappropriated logo application. How much will that cost you? Consider if not money but time lost.

"Designers" remeber this, the moment you draw up, post up or make visible, it becomes immideatly copyrighted. It is your idea, you own the art work, assuming it is original. If you see potential in its further use, register it.

Im not here to discourage anyone, just to "even" out the playing feild.

GA Devil
02-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by GA Devil
The graphic will be used on the site as well as promotions for the store.

Must be original work and will become property of Devil's Den Paintball at end of contest.

Point well taken. That is why i made it clear it would become the property of the store and where it will be used. Im not up on all the legal stuff but thought by pointing this out it would solve any problems up front.

phantomhitman
02-05-2004, 09:08 PM
carbon-thanks for the advice. but i did know that also. i am a designer by trade also, 2d and 3d. i have been through a long drawn out process of trying to protect my work in the past. as well as working with professional companies that want adaptions, changes, or completely new ideas for their designs. i am by no means flaming you here, so please do not take it that way.
onto this situation. i am getting 2 things out of this.
1-artwork (either for my portfolio, practice, or experiance)
2-$50 to purchase pb items
even if i lose i still get something out of it, so i figure i cant lose either way. also, if the store wants to produce clothes, letterheads, or business cards in the future they can get someone else to make that "attractive profesional looking" logo. maybe he just wants something for his site to make it more personalized or "fun" (i use fun loosely). i really do not know exactly what they are looking for, so i cannot say that exactly.
also carbon, did you know that a drawing is your intellectual property only. i tried many times to get some of my designs copyrighted but they said all i can do is write "intellectual property of phantomhitman" and pretty much hope no one steals them. which did happen anyways. that mainly deals with the fact that you cannot copyright an idea, it actually has to be produced. if you know this is wrong please pm with how i can by obtaining offical copyright info about my work.

ga devil-my logos are more artwork based and not graphics work (such as fancy text). i have already drawn out the basic layout of one of the pics and i am onto the second. one is more serious looking than the other, but i will try to get you a scan of them asap. that way you can just tell me then that is not what you are looking for and i can move onto making it a piece of my portfolio.

Carbon
02-05-2004, 10:55 PM
i tried many times to get some of my designs copyrighted but they said all i can do is write "intellectual property of phantomhitman" and pretty much hope no one steals them. which did happen anyways. that mainly deals with the fact that you cannot copyright an idea, it actually has to be produced. if you know this is wrong please pm with how i can by obtaining offical copyright info about my work.

Heres the govmt link to the copyright office, hope it helps.Copyright (http://www.copyright.gov/)

Yes you are correct it is your intellectuall property. The legalilty comes in when someone reproduces your artwork without consent, or have staked a financial gain.

Furthermore i hope you formalize the claim/reliquishment of the logo, for the sake of legal closure. And once again, just to reitterate i was looking out for best interest of all parties involved.

Good luck Phantom! Good luck GA

phantomhitman
02-05-2004, 11:14 PM
carbon-i know you are trying to help both sides. at least you had the decency to help out here, thanks for that. and as far as me handing over the logo legally, would that be me sending him the logo in an email stating that i no longer hold the right to it and hand give it to devil?

Carbon
02-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Cool! Yeah, a written permision will work. Your best bet is to fax the title, put your full legal name, and signature it. That way both parties has a hardcopy. As far as the actuall logo itelf and email sshould suffice. BTW phantom, if you dont mind me asking what kinda grphics work you do? Its always nice to establish a network.

phantomhitman
02-06-2004, 07:10 AM
just about all of my stuff is industrial design. i absolutely hate graphics work like webdesign and layout. i just cant seem to function in 2d :D . I am a 3d artist mainly, only drawing in 2d for portfoilio or whatever I fell like doing for that momoment :p . I use 3d studio max and maya for modeling and photoshop for texturing as well as deep paint occasionally. I will finally be getting out of college this year, so Iget to look for jobs that are not there :eek: ! More specifically I design aftermarket wheels for vehicles. I would love to show you some work but I signed a non-disclosure agreement with the company I am doing a proposal for. That and the fact that a few designs of mine got jacked already doesnt help me trust for people.

But in a nutshell that is me. I will try to post some work up for you to see, 2d as well as 3d. Ill shoot you a pm when that is done. Let me know what you do also.

ga devil-sorry, kind of hijacked yoru thread. but you get a free up ;) !!

GA Devil
02-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Well lets hope all this hasnt killed the contest. No entries so far tho. Hopefully this can become a fun contest again. I am still keeping this exclusive to AO for now since I love this place. So lets see what you all can do drawing wise.

GA Devil
02-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Up...Also be sure to watch for the Grand Opening Sale coming soon.

phantomhitman
02-08-2004, 09:19 PM
ga i sent you an email. please read it and get back with me asap. thanks

GA Devil
02-08-2004, 10:27 PM
reply sent. Please people remember this is a contest. I am not contracting anyone directly to design anything. I am offering this contest to AO out of my love for this users group. I will make an agreement with whoever the winner is giving them credit for their work. But again like stated in rules it does become property of Devil's Den Paintball and you win a $50 voucher to Devil's Den Paintball. Now back to the contest.

phantomhitman
02-08-2004, 10:50 PM
ga, i sent a reply. i think i may have misworded something or you took me wrong. check your email for my work. sorry for any confusion on my part ;)

GA Devil
02-08-2004, 11:04 PM
No problem. Got it and am very impressed. Contest is moving along great now.

GA Devil
02-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Keep the entries coming and remember you can submit as many as you wish. I know you can use a $50 voucher for paintball gear....Who cant?

GA Devil
02-09-2004, 09:53 PM
A few people are forgetting to add their AO screen name to the emails so I know who to give the credit to on here when I announce the winner. Not many will know you by your real name so please include the scrren name as well. Thanks again for the support im getting.

GA Devil
02-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Good contest so far. Still hoping for more entries and remember you can enter as many logo's as you want. Dont forget to get over to the store and set your account so you will recieve the newsletters and you wont want to miss out on the grand opening sale!

I will be leaving for Mardi Gras thursday and returning late sunday or monday so I will reply to all emails I recieve during that time when I return.

AssassN
02-11-2004, 08:42 AM
I'll do something tonight. I have a track meet so I'll be back around 8-9 central.

Is this supposed to be a banner or a small logo for many things like; a t-shirt, a banner, website, etc?

GA Devil
02-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Logo to be used in almost all advertising. On the site, Cards, possibly shirts and things like sponsorship banners. So on and so forth.

GA Devil
02-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Just a heads up. Ill be leaving for Mardi Gras here today and will return monday. So any entries from now till then Ill reply to when I return. Hope to see alot more entries when i return. Alot of great photoshoppers here in AO so lets see some more work.

Load SM5
02-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Upping this for GA

GA Devil
02-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks Load. Well Im back from MGO. Was alot of fun. Got a few nice entries while I was gone hope to see some more.

GA Devil
02-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Keep an eye on the store for special deals with Grand opening. Sign up for your account now (its free) to be sure to recieve any special news sent to customers. Picked up some nice stuff at MGO so dont miss out. And keep the entries coming. Deadline is closing in.

Cryer
02-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Email sent;)

GA Devil
02-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Replies sent. Less then a week left. Send those entries in, dont miss out on $50. store scheduled to open March 1st. Get signed up for accoutn so you dont miss out on any customer deals!

GA Devil
02-22-2004, 12:25 AM
up

Lone Wolf2
02-22-2004, 04:22 PM
hey chris,if u still need one i may ponder up sumthing

Amea
02-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Lone Wlf 2, did you make N-Sane.net?

Anyways... E-mail sent... Yeah, another one.:p

GA Devil
02-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Great entries so far all. I have replied to eveyones submissions. Yes Lone Wolf2 you still have time to enter. The deadline is the 25th so dont wait to long. I will anounce winner on the 1st. Good Luck to everyone entering.

Amea
02-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Hrm... Did you get the one I sent you today? I didnt get a reply... It was from Inn0vat1ve@aol.com.........:confused:

GA Devil
02-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Reply sent......2 more days left to get those entries in!

GA Devil
02-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Tomarrow Wed. the 25th is the deadline for entries. So if you havent gotten yours in or all you want to submit get them in by then. Good luck to all that have and will enter.

GA Devil
02-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Little less the 3 hours left to go get those entries in!

Cryer
03-01-2004, 01:45 PM
well:confused:

Results, Man!:D

GA Devil
03-01-2004, 03:33 PM
lol it will be up in new post later today....patience my friend...lol

Cryer
03-01-2004, 03:35 PM
...patience my friend...lol

rrr. I was never good at that:p