PDA

View Full Version : serious question about life

banzaimf
02-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Has anyone ever been able to have both sides of a grilled cheese equally toasted? Not one that was made by your mom or in a restaurant, one you have made.

Is this a male inadequacy? or what?

Barfly
02-05-2004, 02:06 PM
I can, but I like to cook my food right the first time, becuase it tastes the best that way.

Cope
02-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by banzaimf
Has anyone ever been able to have both sides of a grilled cheese equally toasted? Not one that was made by your mom or in a restaurant, one you have made.

Is this a male inadequacy? or what?

Yes, I've gotten it right a few times.
Most often though I end up burning one side.
It's alright though because it tastes delicious anyway.
Just make sure to melt enough Crisco or butter into the pan by pre-heating it before you put your sandwich in and you will get the best results...and keep an eye on it while it's cooking.

(I'm a big grilled cheese sandwich fan, as you might have guessed) :D

Big'n slo
02-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Ah, the secret is to not grill but toast the sandwich. First you lightly toast each slice then remove them from the toaster. Increase the heat while you quickly apply your choice of cheese and butter. You must bring the cheese and butter to room temperature before applying it to the bread.
Then, re-insert your complete sandwich for the final heating. The high heat will crisp the outsides of the bread while melting the cheese and butter into a delicious blend of bovine byproducts. Once the bread turns to that glorious golden brown open the toaster and let you masterpiece cool. Enjoy :D

I'm off to see whats in the vending machine.....:(

f3rr3+
02-05-2004, 04:19 PM
grilled cheese makes no sense :P

tobz
02-05-2004, 05:16 PM
you can have really good grilled cheese results when you use a portable torch..

i'm not joking

PyRo
02-05-2004, 05:38 PM
I can, but I choose not too :)
The secret to grill chease though is american cheese blows, use swiss cheese and bacon.

logamus
02-05-2004, 05:56 PM
three words for you.

george foreman grill

.tMan
02-05-2004, 06:55 PM
It's really not hard

oh and logamus your truly 1337

AFRaven
02-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Yeah, it's not so difficult, try a Waffle Iron or a George Foreman (as previously mentioned)

Albinonewt
02-05-2004, 07:37 PM
I used to be an assistant caterer for a few years. I can cook for up to a thousand people without really breaking a sweat. I know the best way to roast a pig (my favorite) and about a hundred different ways to prepare chicken.

Applying flame to two pieces of bread with some cheese in the middle for some reason appears to be beyond my abilities.

vf-xx
02-05-2004, 08:27 PM
I've found a new way for grilled cheese:

Toast the bread to desired crispyness, then add cheese and nuke the whole thing for 30-60 seconds.

Otherwise I've always buttered the outside of the bread, not the pan, when grilling.

Lohman446
02-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by logamus
three words for you.

george foreman grill

I love you man... thanks

Gotta buy one of those this weekend, screw the new marker

Cryer
02-05-2004, 09:07 PM
I thought you were going to ask something like "Why are we here?" or "where do babies come from?"

As far as grilled cheese sandwiches, I'm not sure. All I have the motivation to cook is Top Ramen...:o :(

Mango
02-05-2004, 09:10 PM
grilled cheese = http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/puke.gif

banzaimf
02-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by logamus
three words for you.

george foreman grill

Got one, they rock! Never thought of doing the grilled cheese in it.

banzaimf
02-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by vf-xx
I've found a new way for grilled cheese:

Toast the bread to desired crispyness, then add cheese and nuke the whole thing for 30-60 seconds.

Otherwise I've always buttered the outside of the bread, not the pan, when grilling.

Used to do that when I was in the Navy. Use some cheese from teh salad bar and away I went :-)

TraXeR
02-05-2004, 10:17 PM
This makes me happy we have a grilled cheese sandwich maker. Perfectly browned toast, sealed on the edges for no cheese leak, and takes only a minute 30. Mmmmmm...

Python14
02-05-2004, 10:27 PM
The portable torch is one idea, but ever try it with a plasma touch. Goes from soft and moist to vaporized and individual elements in .45 seconds.

I have been cooking for years, however I have yet to master grilled cheese.

MantisMag
02-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Albinonewt
I know the best way to roast a pig [...]

wrapped in leaves and buried in the sand with hot coals. ;)

tony3
02-05-2004, 11:14 PM

Got one, they rock! Never thought of doing the grilled cheese in it.

Dude, you can cook anything and everything in the George, I mean what can't you cook in those suckers? Ummm grilled chicken breast from those things pwns

taylor492
02-05-2004, 11:24 PM
If u want a good grilled cheese spread some dijon or brown mustard on one side then grind some fresh pepper on it before grilling.

breg
02-06-2004, 05:39 AM
I, too, am a butter the bread not the pan. Just be careful not to put too much butter in the pan... lotsa smoke. But, yes those yummy grilled cheeses are the food of the gods.. ambrosia... damn now I want one...

PyRo
02-06-2004, 08:32 AM
Hmm, if its smoking the pan is too hot which explains your burnage.

devildog
02-06-2004, 08:53 AM

Used to do that when I was in the Navy. Use some cheese from teh salad bar and away I went :-)

hey, i do that all the time :D put it through the toaster thats like a conveyer belt right? haha :p

sure beats the nasty puke they cook for us.