PDA

View Full Version : My Kids team is in 4th right now at half time

cphilip
02-07-2004, 12:37 PM
After the halftime in the 3 man they are fourth. Five or so more games left to go (I am not certian of exact number). They still have to play the team in first place as well as the second and third so they got a good shot at pulling up a place or two and finishing in the top three or so. Its in thier hands. They only won one game but have gotten the flag pull in all of there games. They have not been rolled in any games and took thier last game before half time and have eliminations in each game they lost so thier scoring is good. But they got the pull in all of them. This 3 man tourney is heavy on the pull so thier strategy has been to get the pull first. Its scoring is 5 points per man, 30 for pull and 40 for hang. This is a new All Mag team that has been practicing for a few months and this is thier first tournament. The goal here is to place or come close. There is no finals in this one. Just play each team once and finish whatever you finish. So there is no chance to beat anyone for it other than the games played. More later as they progress...

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
02-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Good luck guys

and good strategy,

cphilip
02-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Yea. we called the other day to find out the scoring. And when they told us that we knew immediately that it was "send your front guy to the flag" from the get go. Don't worry about eliminations or wins. Get that 30 points and let your back guys try and get some eliminations and cover you after you tuck in. Get that flag! And so far its working to a good extent. Just a few elimantions have been the key for holding them back after that point. Turn those around in the second half and they should place. Thats thier main goal. Just place or come close. So far they on track. With them still having to play the teams in front of them they control thier own destiny now. So thats really a good thing. Not often you get yourself in a situation you don't have to rely on someone else. They are 100 points behind the first place team and still have them to play and they play them last game. So very good set up for them. Its thiers to win or lose now.

Funny thing is the field said that we were the first team and only team to call and ask what the scoring method was going to be.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
02-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

Funny thing is the field said that we were the first team and only team to call and ask what the scoring method was going to be.

Ya it is a good thing to be able to control your own destiny.

The worst thing is relying on another team to lose in order for you to win.

And that is weird that nobody else called. Did anyone even walk any of the fields?

and once again good luck

FreakBaller12
02-07-2004, 01:21 PM
i love hearing tourny stories!
glad to hear your son is doing good, hope he wins
GO TEAM GO!!
nice strategy too!

cphilip
02-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
And that is weird that nobody else called. Did anyone even walk any of the fields?

I not certain. I getting all this long distance now. I know our guys got down there last night in time to do so. They left right after school was out and its about a two hour drive. So they checked in to the hotel and went out to the field. Just got there about a hour before total dark so they had a little time. And the field opened at 7 for walk around this morning. So many could have done it this morning. And someone could have called after we did on Thursday....

By the way this team is sponsored by Gold Dragon, Tunamart, Cphilip and AGD. We really were not ready for our first one equipment wise. No back up AGD markers in place. But we went anyway with various other back up markers. I got one gun down late in the first half. So if I was there it would be back up and running in five minutes. They always go down when your in a tourney don't they? :( But they will have back up in place by next time. I got one on the way. Just didn't get here in time. So we do what we can.

Sounds to me like a level 10 sticking. But not certain. I could get it running in a heart beat but I told them to grab a back up and go on. Next time I will just have to be there. They got parts with them but no real time between games to tech anything.

magking1971
02-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Well win or loose, They have a good game plan and I hope they do well!!:D

painball
02-07-2004, 04:25 PM
They always go down when your in a tourney don't they?
I agree with ya there. Last tourney my mag went down. Luckily the ballers around here are real nice and they let me borrow some guns. I was surprised when some guy handed me an ir3 and a trix.

cphilip
02-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Murphys law strikes again! ;)

Ok final score. They finished 6th out of 11. Dropped two notches instead of rose after lunch. But it could have been worse at one point if they had not beaten the best couple teams out there to end the day. Seems they had a real long lunch break till their final five games. Seems they just didn't hit the schedule till late and had to wait in the cold for another hour or so till their first after lunch game came up. And then had em bam bam bam... and they proptly went out and dropped the first three games! :( Only picked up five points each of those three games. Hurt em real bad. They just couldn't get the rythum back at first. But! then they went up against the top leading team that had not lost all day and they rolled them! First game that team had lost all day. Then they bpretty much waxed thier last game against another top team (I think third at that point). Knocked the top team into second. So they felt pretty good about finishing strong and are not too disappointed as it came out in the end. A little but finishing strong made them feel a bit better about. And beating the strongest team out there really badly helps. If they could have gotten an earlier match in the second half maybe they could have regrouped but well.... ya gotta play em like there delt. But anyway. They seem to have had fun and got some things to work on and seemed that the competition was pretty good. At least four or five really strong teams out there.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
02-07-2004, 06:26 PM
For the first tourney not bad

good job, and good luck next time

painball
02-07-2004, 06:33 PM
My first 2 tourneys I never even won a game or gotten close to winning once. Then again I had to play against all the established 5 man novice teams in the area also. :(

Pretty good job for a first tourney.;)

cphilip
02-07-2004, 06:55 PM
My kid is the only one that has ever played one. He has played like two. And one of those they took second in. Different and much more experienced team mates then though. The other two kids never played in one. And as "a team" they have never played in one so... well I think they fine with it. Especialy with the fact that they rolled the top couple of teams. That helps you know where you are. I figure they might have should have changed thier early strategy after lunch. The other teams had time to think and talk it over and probably were shooting lanes after lunch to thwart it. And I think they indeed did change up and play straight up ball. But not until the last two games. You gotta be ready to change and adapt. And they did. Just took them a while plus the fact they was dead cold by the time they played again. Maybe woulda been good if they had found a side field to play a two on one warm up match. Anyway you live and learn.

Lohman446
02-07-2004, 07:07 PM
But! then they went up against the top leading team that had not lost all day and they rolled them! First game that team had lost all day. Then they bpretty much waxed thier last game against another top team (I think third at that point). Knocked the top team into second. So they felt pretty good about finishing strong and are not too disappointed as it came out in the end. A little but finishing strong made them feel a bit better about. And beating the strongest team out there really badly helps. .

LOL - this happens ALL the time - in the tournaments we have not made finals on we have never been beaten after being mathematically eliminated LOL, its pretty funny really, I think it has to do with not worrying about the score, and just playing.

cphilip
02-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Lohman446

LOL - this happens ALL the time - in the tournaments we have not made finals on we have never been beaten after being mathematically eliminated LOL, its pretty funny really, I think it has to do with not worrying about the score, and just playing.

This is true. If I woulda been there I would have forbiden them from even checking the scores. I woulda told em I checked and they were last! :D

Echo419
02-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Phillip, i'm a young player with a mag looking for a team and im in Southern NC, 15 minutes from SC :D

cphilip
02-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Contact Caleb. He is looking to go five an 7 man roster.

ccaleb@starband.net

Well they just got home. I got a couple bad call reports but overall they said the reffing was good

One was that the head ref called one of them out from across the field. He did take a hit but it did not break. And then the closest ref came up and went and check him and told the head ref he was clean. However the head ref insisted he saw a break from across the field and that he was out. No paint was found.... that was one of the games they lost. And our kid had just moved into a key position when this happened. Changed the whole game.

The second call was the one game our kids had to play back to back games. No rest. And a old hit under one kids pack was wiped as best he could but when he got back out on the field the ref saw the hit and called him out. Even though the wipe was clearly smeared and dimished.

However they got several good key calls in the end. One which my kid (Caleb) exchanged fire with an approaching player right after Caleb had pulled the flag. The guy was coming to bunker him. Caleb looked out at the right place and right time and saw him coming and Caleb tagged him twice before he could return fire. At that point Caleb took a bounce hit. But the ref saw it all. The hit did not break anyway but the ref said he would have given him the call regardless as he saw he got the other player was eliminated first. Caleb then hung the flag for the points. That was against the best team there. They picked back up 75 points on that game.

The very last game they had the pull and the other team was eliminated and Caleb was the only one still in (he managed to take out their last two) and as he went to get up to run to hang the flag when time ran out. He did not get the hang points for time. That would have finished them in Fourth place. But it was not to be.

FreakBaller12
02-07-2004, 09:58 PM
sounds like a crazy fun tournament, i bet they had a ball, that's all that matters too.

cphilip
02-07-2004, 10:34 PM
They did. They are very upbeat about it. No problems more than any other tournement has. You get a few bad calls here and there. And they had fun. But it is kind of a shame they didn't finish as strong as they were in the middle. But one or two breaks and they would have. That one missed flag hang was enough to get em in fourth and only 5 points out of third. One call going thier way and they were in the top three like they wanted to be. Maybe more! You never know what woulda happened had you not gotten that one out you didn't think you should have. In three man one out really hurts ya. But no sense dwelling on it. It happens. No one is out to cheat you. Its just the way it goes.