PDA

View Full Version : opinions on barrel kits?

phantomhitman
02-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Since coolhand has just started the design process for the electro frame, and he is dealing with nicad for bodies, all i need is a barrel system now.

I have NEVER owned or used any barrel system out, and all I really get from the forum (that is right, i searched for this topic before i posted this) is that people say go with what you like. Well seeing that I cannot like anything if I have never owned one or shot one that is pretty hard to do. I got an idea about to kits that people seemed to like, the kaner and the sceptor. Can anyone that owns either of these kits let me know what you think about them? Anything from accuracy, to weight, to looks, sound, or any problems would help me out a great deal.

Thanks for your time and any insight.

felony
02-07-2004, 02:56 PM
There are lots out there.

Prices range fro 130ish to 200.

I would stay away from pipe

I would look for Sceptor or JJ edge kits
Equation kits are also very very nice

Kaner kit are supposed to be good as well, never used one though

dan

-=Squid=-
02-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Well, I would stay away from the pipe like felony said. They look cool, but are kinda shoddy.

I would also stay away from the freak, just because its not cheaper or better than any other kits, so why get one from a company that doesnt deserve our support?

I would recommend the sceptor. I have heard they are the best, and from what I see they have a good design.

The hammerhead fin kit is also good.

What I would REALLY recommend (if they would hurry up and release them) is the stiffi kit. Stiffi barrels are a wonderful thing.

NJPaint
02-07-2004, 03:33 PM
I love my scepter, wouldn't replace it with anything.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
02-07-2004, 03:34 PM
i own a pipe and a cp kit - both work great only cp kit isnt all that great in looks and the pipe is somewhat easy to break with its small front.

Lethargic
02-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Well, I'm going to go against the groove and say get a pipe. It's a great system, and has served me well for a good half a season with no problems so far. Another real nice system I've used is the CP kit. those are quite nice as well

lord1234
02-07-2004, 05:30 PM
check out the sanchez machine barrel kits...
www.sm1paintballbarrel.com

I also can get them for you at a very good price..contact me via pm for more info.

phantomhitman
02-07-2004, 06:57 PM
I think the sceptor is ahead for now. i just need to pick this kit up before buying the electro frame that way everything gets annoed at one time. i really wish stifi would bring out their kit, that would be a tuff decision between them and sceptor.

anyone have a used sceptor kit for sale? :D

laxkid
02-07-2004, 07:10 PM
I would go with a cp barrel kit or a scepter I have both and love them

Lohman446
02-07-2004, 07:20 PM
ACI Phat system, at least for me hands down - reasons:

Consistency: when we are using teammate and my teammates kits call for .689 so does mine, they fit the same, some kits vary in size, but the markings are not consistent, meaning a .689 on one is a .686 on another, etc.

Cleaning:: This barrel cleans itself very very well - about half a dozen shots of air and it is shootable again after I chuffed paint, blowing an entire paintball of Kickn Triple X Nasty up in it.

Price: Six backs, three fronts, and a hard case, all for under $200, very well packaged and convenient.

Durability: I play front, my equipment takes abuse, I know that and these hold up very very well.

Convenience: LOL - I was standing in the proshop when Fed Ex dropped them off, and snagged it before it even hit the shelf, that was pretty convenient.

phantomhitman
02-07-2004, 11:25 PM
i am going with the scepter 3 piece kit, in aluminum. since I have never owned a mulit-piece kit, can anyone tell me what 3 sizes are best? there are these sizes to choose from.

.684 .686 .688
.686 .688 .690
.684 .688 .692

Athius
02-07-2004, 11:47 PM
Well i like my freak and from the other barrel systems the Freak is the only one with allot of bore sizes.

And it is light as a feather if u use the aluminum back.

Dryden
02-08-2004, 11:19 AM
I purchased a Freak kit last Summer and have been very happy with it - I've had ZERO problems with every brand of paint I've fired through it.

My question though is: Why do you feel you need to get a barrel kit?

You could buy a handful of terrific one-piece barrels for less than the price of a kit. The primary reason I wound up getting the Freak is the availability of different backs to apply to all the different markers out there. I can swap the entire kit between a Mag and a Cocker for the cost of an extra $45 back. If you don't own several markers, or don't plan on buying a different one every other year or so, you may not necessarily need a kit.

Just my $.02

- Rich B

chizle97
02-08-2004, 11:32 AM
When i had it, I loved my empire barrel kit. Because for 200 bucks ya got 7 backs and 4 fronts and a case. and the design is sweet as heck too.

phantomhitman
02-08-2004, 12:05 PM
the main reason for me getting a kit is for all of the differnt fields I go to. Every single one of them has different paint, which means differnt sizes.

now can someone help me out with what 3 sizes are the best to get? i am clueless bc I have never had to switch in and out of inserts.
.684 .686 .688
.686 .688 .690
.684 .688 .692

mark_426
02-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by phantomhitman
now can someone help me out with what 3 sizes are the best to get? i am clueless bc I have never had to switch in and out of inserts.
.684 .686 .688
.686 .688 .690
.684 .688 .692

With my kits I used 684 689 692 the most, I'd go with the last one, so if you get paint bigger or smaller, you can still use it. The middle one would allow you to get a better fit, but exceptionally large or small would screw you over.

If you use a lot of blaze (draxxus) then you would want the 684, and evil was 691

And for kits, I have had a pipe and freak, never used a sceptor though, but they do look nice. I liked the look and feel of the pipe on the ULE bodies, and it shot great. The freak could be better, but you can get parts for it anywhere. Some say the inserts with orings aren't accurate, but I don't think its good or bad. Like someone said, its nothing special.

MarkM uses the SM1 kit, and he likes it, and its very reasonably priced.

I'd go for a Sceptor. Powerlyte is a great company, and they're like 110 for the 3 piece (at my local store). If you want, you could always buy other inserts.

phantomhitman
02-08-2004, 12:22 PM
mark, do you have the number to your store? I cannot find in below $150 anywhere. And do you know if it is the aluminum or stainless steel kit? i would appreciate this a lot.

mark_426
02-08-2004, 12:29 PM
umm, they're website is www.outbackpaintball.com

I don't know if its new or old style, new or used, stainless or aluminum. I dont know what inserts it has either, but im almost positive its the 3.
I'm pretty sure it is cocker threaded though.

The number is 301-223-1871, but I don't know if they even still have it. If they won't mail it to you, I might could pick it up and send it to you.

tony3
02-08-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm going to go against everyone and say screw barrel kits. Just get a nice big bore barrel, i.e. .692 ultralite and you will be fine.

dcmander
02-08-2004, 02:32 PM
I PMed you phantom. Please read it and get back to me.

angelbeast24
02-08-2004, 03:18 PM
i love my kaner kit its a nice barrel but it will set u back a lil bit in cash

CoolHand
02-08-2004, 03:48 PM
I own a Freak, two or three BoomSticks, and I had a TiPB Longbow kit here for about two weeks while I worked on a customer's marker.

I've shot all of them (just timing a cocker with the LongBow), and I have had excellent luck with all of them.

I've got a big bored (.691 I believe) Boomstick that shoots darts, with every kind of paint I have put through it. Got a full Freak set too, but I only use the .691 insert, so go figure. It works like a champ too, and is the one I use most often, just cause it is a little lighter.

But I gotta say, hands down the best barrel I have ever layed hands on was the LongBow from TiPB. Titanium backs, so they are light, and hard as hell. UBER slick internal finish (I've seen glass that was not as smooth), and it shot darts. The only down side? The set he had cost almost $300, and the tip was kinda ugly IMO.

My all time favorite barrel is an oldschool all Stainless AA barrel from Smart Parts. That thing is wonderful, quiet, acurate, and tough. The only downside? By itself, it weighs 6lbs! :eek:

lol :D I wouldn't sell it for $1000 though.

If money is tight, I'd say go with one big bore barrel. If you have to have a kit, you might consider one of the three bore Empire kits. They are totally decent, and not too expensive.

That's all I got.

paintball boy 20
02-08-2004, 04:27 PM
i've heard good things about the matchstik kit from mac dev. Three backs(685, 689, 692) and two fronts(12 and 14). Its only $100 and i think its manufactured by cp.

phantomhitman
02-08-2004, 09:07 PM
thanks guys, i guess i will go with the scepter. i just have to find a good palce to buy them at. The cheapest i have seen is $160 from their site.

felony
02-08-2004, 09:18 PM
topchoicepaintball sells the scepter w/ alum back for 135 w/ 3 inserts. i believe they have a special goin on right now for 115 for 3 inserts w/ alum back (cocker).

and where does it say the matchstick has those specs? i wanted one, but didnt know the bore sizes :[

dan

phantomhitman
02-08-2004, 09:34 PM
THANKS FELONY!!!!
i am going to try to order them tomorrow. i have to see if they are aluminum or not.

Barfly
02-09-2004, 02:24 AM
yeah someone mentioned the Mac Dev matchstick barrel system and that is probably what I am going to buy in the very near future. It has 3 backs and 2 fronts for only $100 that is good enough for me.

mark_426
02-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by felony
where does it say the matchstick has those specs? i wanted one, but didnt know the bore sizes :[

http://www.macdev.net/us/barrels.htm

"The Matchstik 2 piece barrels combine quality and value. Available in a 5 piece kit.

0.685 bore
0.689 bore
0.693 bore
12" tip
14" tip"

on macdev USA's homepage:p

Gadget
02-09-2004, 10:58 AM
phantom - try PMing Tunaman, he got me the five insert Scepter for a VERY good price.

phantomhitman
02-09-2004, 11:10 AM
gadget, thanks for the info. actually someone has already offered to sell me there extras :D i am going to call topchoice today to see their prices and if the barrle are alum or ss backs.

Jon/xpm
02-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Kaner Kit
Edge Kit
Scepter Kit
^GoOd KitZs:D