PDA

View Full Version : Stiffi Switch

mark_426
02-08-2004, 12:21 PM
http://www.sitemfg.com/store/category.cfm?Category=30

Well it's here.

What do you guys think of the price and the inserts?

The length?

Whats the muzzle break looking thing? Is it threaded on both ends?

Anyone use one?

heres a pic:
http://www.sitemfg.com/store/images/Switch_in%20case_25.jpg

RRfireblade
02-08-2004, 12:25 PM
The barrel idea is fine.I think 1' inserts are kinda useless though.

The muzzle break design is in response to the older style often breaking.

GT
02-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
The barrel idea is fine.I think 1' inserts are kinda useless though.

good for the closed bolt guys..

RRfireblade
02-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by gtrsi

good for the closed bolt guys..

So is a $20 lapco breach sizer.;)

GT
02-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade

So is a $20 lapco breach sizer.;)

true but lapco is noob and stiffi gives you mad tIght game yO!

phantomhitman
02-08-2004, 01:32 PM
well i guess i can mark stifi off of my barrel kit list now. :rolleyes:

RRfireblade
02-08-2004, 02:03 PM

true but lapco is noob and stiffi gives you mad tIght game yO!

That's the most noob sounding thing I've heard in a while.:D

p8ntball1016
02-08-2004, 02:09 PM

true but lapco is noob and stiffi gives you mad tIght game yO! damn newbies:)

mark_426
02-08-2004, 03:54 PM
hows this compare to the hammerhead fin kit.. it uses little backs as well doesn't it?

and anyone know about the muzzle break?

Miscue
02-08-2004, 07:12 PM
What's the point of these tiny control bores?

Mindflux
02-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
What's the point of these tiny control bores?

To cash in on all the hype surrounding barrel kits.

Although, they are nice. But the control bores have to actually be effective.

Steelrat
02-08-2004, 07:16 PM
The only thing I can think of is to keep closed-bolt markers from dumping their paint out.

mark_426
02-13-2004, 10:48 PM
its been a couple days.. ill bump this

I emailed mike, the stiffi sales manager to see if he can answer some of my questions.

Anyone else buy one?

Rope a Dope
02-13-2004, 11:20 PM
I like what Glenn Palmer does to resolve the issue of paint rolling out of the barrel. Widgets! I saw one for the first time recently, basicly he punches little dents into the very rear of a barrel and then polishes them to fit your paint. Kinda like detents on the barrel itself. Works VERY well from what I have seen.

Spaceman613
02-13-2004, 11:26 PM
If you havent tried it, then dont nock it..

I HAVE tried it, and it shoots amazingly well.

Much better value than all but maybe the J&J kit.

mark_426
02-13-2004, 11:31 PM
spaceman, where have you shot it? what marker? what paint? give me (us, if anyone is watching this), all the details.

And, they aren't biased (knocking the item), they're just stating opinions based on the design and description of it, as well as comparing it to the other products currently out.

Jack & Coke
02-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Interesting idea...

kinda like the Hammerhead:

http://www.hammerheadpaintball.com/images/gallery/big_01.gif

and

OTP barrel (On Target Products)

http://www.pbreview.com/pics/1042337445.jpg

I wonder if there's any velocity loss since the control bore is so short... this would make the barrel less efficient.

I think a cool test would be:

A. 12" lapco Bigshot (~12" control bore)

vs

B. 12" DYE Ultralight (~6" control bore)

vs.

C. 12" Stiffi (~2" control bore)

All with the same control bore size.

Test and compare muzzle velocities... that would be interesting :)

Spaceman613
02-14-2004, 01:28 AM
It was on the 04 / J2.

I didnt get to do a complete review of it, but for the limited time i used it, it shot great. Paint was crappy diablo blaze.

-=Squid=-
02-14-2004, 01:35 AM
Well, I always loved the stiffi, and will UNDOUBTEDLY be buying this. GREAT price compared to the regular stiffi to. Anybody wanna buy a 14" cocker threaded stiffi?

sslecyk03
02-14-2004, 01:38 AM
how much?

Mindflux
02-14-2004, 01:42 AM
209 from site mfg + shipping.

Bleh.

No spank you

-=Squid=-
02-14-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Mindflux
209 from site mfg + shipping.

Bleh.

No spank you But thats MSRP... it will be much lower than that from places like pbgear.

sslecyk03
02-14-2004, 01:56 AM
are these kits out yet and how much for the 14 incher squid?

Mindflux
02-14-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
But thats MSRP... it will be much lower than that from places like pbgear.

Yeah, it's MSRP. we'll see once someone has them for sale.

:)

felony
02-14-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Jack & Coke
I wonder if there's any velocity loss since the control bore is so short... this would make the barrel less efficient.

good question.

would also be interested in how that short of a control bore effects accuracy in comparison to something larger..

hmm

mark_426
02-14-2004, 11:55 AM
"So as far as our guns are concerned, the best efficiency would be had with an 8-10" effective length barrel. Since two piece ported barrels with an effective length of about 5-6" are the rage right now you hear a lot of complaints about gas efficiency. Under some circumstances there is a good reason to use a short effective length barrel. Short barrels cut off the acceleration abruptly by venting and this has the effect of tightening up the shot to shot velocity variation. If you need this at the expense of efficiency then go ahead. Tighter velocity control usually translates into some improvement in accuracy due to better consistency."
-AGD here (http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/01_barrel_eff.shtml)

So, Tom is saying less control bore=tighter shot to shot variation, some improvement in accuracy because or more consistancy, but it would be less efficent.

Interesting, this means a scepter is more effiecent but less accurate, and a OTB/Hammerhead/Switch would all be more accurate.

Anyone?

-=Squid=-
02-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by sslecyk03
are these kits out yet and how much for the 14 incher squid? something like 90 when I sell it.

02-14-2004, 12:13 PM
I think the theory behind the barrels like the hammerhead is that they performed test and it is "proven" that that small little nub of an adapter is all you need to effect accuracy.

FallNAngel
02-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by mark_426

-AGD here (http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/01_barrel_eff.shtml)

So, Tom is saying less control bore=tighter shot to shot variation, some improvement in accuracy because or more consistancy, but it would be less efficent.

Interesting, this means a scepter is more effiecent but less accurate, and a OTB/Hammerhead/Switch would all be more accurate.

Anyone?

OK, but how much difference in accuracy are we talking though and how much efficiency? I'm not saying there isn't a difference, I'd just rather see a quantifiable difference. As is now, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

mark_426
02-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by FallNAngel

OK, but how much difference in accuracy are we talking though and how much efficiency? I'm not saying there isn't a difference, I'd just rather see a quantifiable difference. As is now, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

I think it'd really require someone to test them out

If I had the money for all the paint/air/barrels, I'd do it. I don't, I'll admit that, but I might email hammerhead and see if I can leave a deposit and have a Fin sent here, and or see if site could do the same thing.

GT
02-14-2004, 01:02 PM
are we just to stupid not to have figured out by now that a barrel is a dam barrel? I have probally owned all of the barrel kits out there except the hammer head. I mean really guys its all the same crap....

Here is criteria I use to pick a barrel out:

Price
weight
length

see anything in there about fancy backs or different tips? all these stupid barrels are about getting money out of your pocket into thier's with little effort. Come on guys lets spend our cash on paint :( ...

splat15k
02-22-2004, 10:57 PM
So, has anyone tested this yet? I would like to find out if this thing is worth buying.

-=Squid=-
02-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Your right gtrsi... however, it will shoot just as good as any other, yes, but how many others are as light as carbon fiber?