PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Rock Band?

splatattack33
02-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I thought i would start a thread bout the greatest rock bands after listening to Physical Graffiti by in my opinion THE GREATEST ROCK BAND OF ALL TIME, LED ZEPPELIN!!! and i also saw a show and it say'd they were the greatest of all time.So post away with all of your opinions on whos the greatest.:)

mcveighr
02-08-2004, 09:26 PM
No contest, Zepplin. Jimmy Page is amazing.

chizle97
02-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Toss up between led zeplin, pink floyd, and Queen. But hands down the best Rock-n-Roller ever was Freddy Mercury.

splatattack33
02-08-2004, 09:32 PM
CHizle97-Queen? wtf? jp i do like Pink Floyd also

chizle97
02-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Yes Queen. If ya listened to it insted of ostracizing, ya might notice thier music is some of the best music ever. they understood what every note meant and freddy mercury knew how to used his vocals in a way that wasnt screaming and still draged with in with a melodic effect.

I study music theory:D but yes floyd rules also

theraidenproject
02-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Zep and Tenacious D.

logamus
02-08-2004, 09:52 PM
there is pink floyd in first and a massive gap back to second place.

MarineRDNC
02-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Tenacious D is the Great Band in the world... duh

Zygote
02-08-2004, 10:44 PM
it says so on their T-shirts if you want proof

ZAust
02-08-2004, 10:48 PM
*nsync

Brak
02-08-2004, 10:59 PM

http://www.skyminds.net/galleries/led_zep/band_05.jpg

jobo_18
02-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by ZAust
*nsync

That boy band **** doesn't even count as music. i want to know what ******* gave those morons a contract.

as far a greatest ROCK bands go i have 3

1 The Doors
2 Metallica
3 Lynyrd Skynyrd

MagMan5446
02-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Metallica

Oasis
02-08-2004, 11:14 PM
*nsync

haha! YEAH!!!!!

puckmaster
02-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Zep, AC(lightning bolt)DC, Pink Floyd(the wall is my all time drunken tune)

Also, Sublime and Rage against the Machine. There not really as "rock" as Led Zeppelin or ACDC tho.

gimp
Don't forget slayer

ramenjames
dude Zepp

um....out of new bands....the Darkness kicks major R&R ***

Curly
02-08-2004, 11:58 PM
*nsync

Dude, I knew you liked them when you had that shirt on. You just didnt want to admit it. ;)

Lopy
02-09-2004, 12:27 AM
metalica? Slayer? The beatles? you gotta be ****ting me, floyd and zepplin are miles ahead of any other rock and roll band ever. and Floyd is definatly #1 in my books, though it's close with zep.
Nowon has ever come close to having as much influence on rock and roll as zepplin and floyd did, dark side of the moon was a best seller for 14 years! Page was a god, he was the driving force of zeplin, he wrote stairway to heaven, which has always been known as one of the greatest songs ever, even though it's been played till everyone is bored to tears with it.

gamarada717
02-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I really like the darkness. Best rock band ever? I haven't listened to enough to decide that yet. And mettalica definetly deserves a spot up there, even though they suck now.

devildog
02-09-2004, 02:41 AM
im torn between 2

AC/DC

and

Rolling Stones

although acdc is my fav band, i think rolling stones take it for greatest rock band.

MagMan5446
02-09-2004, 02:51 AM
Pink Floyd sucks.

The Darkness? That's almost like saying In Flames is the greatest rock band of all time......

EsPo
02-09-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by MagMan5446
Pink Floyd sucks.

Not.

Lopy
02-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by MagMan5446
Pink Floyd sucks.

If anything deserves a bann, it's this, comon Chpil, you know you wanna. If you were here I would slap you, in fact, I'm gonna slap my monitor, say that again or I'l come over thier and kill you:mad:

:(

Muzikman
02-09-2004, 10:27 AM
I would not really place the Beatles in the same catagory as Zep.

Yes I love the beatles and yes I love Zeppelin, but I would have to say that one of the greatest was "The Who". They had one of the top three drummers of all time, the best bass player that ever lived, a song writer that could not be topped, and a frontman who fit the bill. The only band with more talent was Cream.

Dryden
02-09-2004, 10:37 AM
My vote is for Zeppelin also. All the groups mentioned above are great, legendary acts, but Zeppelin has something that sets them apart. When you listen to a Zeppelin album, any of them, you don't get that feeling that any of the tracks are 'filler' material. Most people who wouldn't even consider themselves Zeppelin fans can recognize songs that weren't ever released as singles. Frankly, I don't think Zeppelin ever wrote a bad song.

The fact that Zeppelin quit after Bonham's death adds to the lore. Too bad Page and Plant have recently tried to prostitute that legacy. I respected Zeppelin a lot more before they started pimping Cadillacs.

Barfly
02-09-2004, 12:56 PM
The Misfits is the best rock band ever. They are so good that they beat a couple of new ******** into all of the members of Motley Crue, also one of the guys in Metallica has a tatoo of the band on them.

animal
02-09-2004, 01:54 PM
I gotta go with either Zepp because you can't not mention Jimmy, or the stones, just for sheer longevity and fan following.

Mr.mike
02-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Guns & Roses, Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd
^Surprised no ones said them yet :(

p8ntball1016
02-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Guns & Roses? You've got to be kidding me!

Mindflux
02-09-2004, 04:37 PM
This discussion is going to be very very subjective.

Bands may sound HORRIBLE on stage, and godly in studio. Or Vice versa.

Rock is also vague... rock is pretty much anything with an electric something.

My votes:

Phish
Grateful Dead

mcveighr
02-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Guns & Roses are pretty good. Sure axl has gone all stupid now but they were quite good.

Torbo
02-09-2004, 04:53 PM
pink floyd.

Ov3rmind
02-09-2004, 05:41 PM
The Ramones

Just due to the fact that their music is so stupidly simple and fun to listen to (oh yeah, and you can throw in their gigantic influence on modern rock n' rool if you'd like as well).

Lopy
02-09-2004, 06:15 PM
their influence was nothing compared to zepplin or floyd.

Rumble
02-09-2004, 06:24 PM
METALLICA!!! At least Ride The laghtning, and Master Of Puppets Alblums. after that, they got worse, but I still whip out the St. Anger CD once in a while, but Master of Puppets ALOT more.

who_311
02-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Rumble
METALLICA!!! At least Ride The laghtning, and Master Of Puppets Alblums. after that, they got worse, but I still whip out the St. Anger CD once in a while, but Master of Puppets ALOT more.

Dude, how can say that a band is the "greatest" rock band ever when they have bad albums(black album-present) have bad albums? That doesnt make sense, that makes them not the best. Along with Zepp, they have albums that suck, like "In through the Out Door" and CODA, dude, those albums were lame.

My thoughts on this subject would be, that there is no such thing as a "greatest" artist, music is far too wide of a spectrum to judge one band as the best band. And, ACDC couldnt possibly be the best, their music all sounds the same.

taylor492
02-09-2004, 09:07 PM
cmon is there any doubt its the Beatles. those other bands dont even come close. Dont get me wrong they're still good. I went to Paul McCartney when he was here a year ago. OMG...BEST.CONCERT.EVER

Matt1427
02-09-2004, 09:10 PM
mindflux, your are a godd people. I have seen phish in concert 4 diff times. The Doors are a good studio band, but not live, the best band of all time is pink floyd. Grateful dead will always be the jam band of all time.

71 LS6
02-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Zeppelin is the first that comes to mind, very well known, huge following, countless great songs. Personally, I like the fact that you can listen to Zeppelin for hours without ever hearing 2 songs that sound alike.

Also surprised that no one has mentioned Black Sabbath, they were pretty big in their day, and many consider them better than Zep (not me).

Can't beat old Van Halen, Eddie on the lead guitar, Roth or Hagar on vocals, they had some great songs.

Rush had one of the best drummers (Niel Peart) and one of the best bassists (Geddy Lee).

Boston has had some awesome songs, although many of them souund alike to some people.

Old Metallica was absolutely awesome, some of their original albums never get old.

AC/DC has a lot of great songs, even though they're fairly simple and a three year-old could play their drums. Go listen to AC/DC Live, it has 90% of their best songs on it.

The Who are a great band to listen to, their songs were truly works of art.

I also like Kansas, had some different music out there, and every line in "Dust in the Wind" should be a quote somewhere.

Jethro Tull. Love the flute included in the rock music, nice touch.

Ted Nugent, not a whole lot of great songs, but the guy is awesome. I want to go camping with him.

The Doors, Jim Morrison had a great voice, and i liked the heyboards.

Pink Floyd has had a lot of good songs, and can be phenomenal when you're in the right mood.

Queen has also had some great songs, Bohemian Rhapsody will always be a favorite.

Cream was great, as well as Eric Clapton on his own.

Guns 'n Roses had quite a few good songs, and the singer has a very unique voice.

Journey. Steve Perry had a great voice, and that band put together some good songs.

Foreigner. Lou Graham was from Rochester (like me).

The Beatles, one of the most widely followed bands ever.

Rolling Stones, same as above.

Lynyrd Skynyrd. C'mon, just look at their name. They're awesome.

Steve Miller Band, tons of good songs.

Eagles, again, loads of good stuff.

ZZ Top, some great music from just three guys and some long beards. Oh yeah, nice cars too.

Styx, I really like some of their songs.

I'm leaving out a lot that should be on here.

(I am in no way saying that all of those bands could be considered the best. I'd have to say Zeppelin, aftr that the bands listed are in random order).

Ov3rmind
02-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Lopy
their influence was nothing compared to zepplin or floyd.
Maybe not as much, but not "nothing" compared to them. Modern alternative music would not sound how it does if they had never existed.

WaveRhythm
02-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind

Maybe not as much, but not "nothing" compared to them. Modern alternative music would not sound how it does if they had never existed. WTF are you doing here?

Mateo
02-09-2004, 09:57 PM
*In a whiney teenage ricer voice*
LiKiN pArK rAwKs!!!!!!111! I mean chester has an amazing voice and that one dude can rap, never heard of anything like it, yo!!!!11
*end*

Now back to reality, The Beatles, Queen, Eagles, Bad Company, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, so many to choose from, but I have to agree Freddy Mercury was put on this earth by god to sing and rock.

And who ever said The Misfits must be pissed off at the government or something, punk is dead and they weren't as influential as some of the previous bands mentioned except to little "goth" kids who think life sucks and all they do is complain about everything instead of doing something about it.

Also I think The Ramones didn't have as much as an impact as Nirvana did, but Nirvana doesn't need to be mentioned in a all time greatest rock countdown.:) *pulls out umbrella and prepares for the flak to rain*

ASDadam
02-09-2004, 10:11 PM
I think 71LS6 sumed up almost everything i could say. He listed all the bands that should be on the top lists.

But i think the BEST is a tie between Queen, The Who, Zepplin and Floyd

Like said, Freddys voice and the band was something god sent from above and NO one ever could compete with him.

The Who for their incredible lyrics and awesome music.

Zepplin for Page's godlike guitar.

And floyd for the phenominal music and lyrics that Go on and on in your head but never get old.

AutomagRT1483
02-09-2004, 10:47 PM
AC/DC, seen 'em live twice. Greatest show I've been to. :D ;)

Lopy
02-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Ac/DC is a GREAT band, but all of their songs sound the same. Angus is a guitar god, he is AC/DC, and if you see him live, he is just amazing, but they wouldn't be top in my books.

Also I think The Ramones didn't have as much as an impact as Nirvana did, but Nirvana doesn't need to be mentioned in a all time greatest rock countdown. *pulls out umbrella and prepares for the flak to rain*

Nirvana was hugely influenced by the ramones, the punk sceen was what started the whole "simple" music craze that nirvana ended up dominating. So when you think if it that way the ramones had alot more influence then nirvana did, cuz they inspired nirvana, but then, zepplin and floyd inspired basicly everyone that came after them, so they are the roots of most of the music today.

But then you could also go even farther back to blues, which is what 99% of rock and roll is, including most zepplin stuff. The guitar is a blues instrument, the notes on the fretbord are set up for blues, rock and roll is guitar driven, so it is all rooted to blues. Songs like "moby dick" and "blitzrig bop" are entirely blues progression. So basicly, if you want to name somone who has had the most influence on modern mucis, it would have to one of the blues greats.

Now that I've gone totaly off topic, I'l stop my rant now.

Ov3rmind
02-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by WaveRhythm
WTF are you doing here?
sup Wave wut are u doing here?

Fixion
02-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Led Zeplin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Beatles, there are more, but these are my top 4.

71 LS6
02-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Dream Theater has a lot of talent, but not well known at all. Singer kinda sucks, but Mike Portnoy on the drums, John Petrucci on the guitar, Jonny Myung on the Bass, and Jordan Rudess on the Keyboard are all phenomenal. Go download a Portnoy or Petrucci solo, you'll love it.

f3rr3+
02-10-2004, 09:27 PM
after hearing metalica and guns and roses i want to puke...

its without a doubt zepplin... no contest...

"game over man, game over"

taylor492
02-11-2004, 12:08 AM
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 12:58 p.m. ET

The top 100 albums in rock 'n' roll history, as judged in a poll of
musicians, executives and journalists by VH1, released Thursday:

1. The Beatles, ``Revolver'' (1966)

2. Nirvana, ``Nevermind'' (1991)

3. The Beach Boys, ``Pet Sounds'' (1966)

4. Marvin Gaye, ``What's Going On'' (1971)

5. Jimi Hendrix Experience, ``Are You Experienced?'' (1967)

6. The Beatles, ``Rubber Soul'' (1965)

7. Stevie Wonder, ``Songs in the Key of Life'' (1974)

8. The Beatles, ``Abbey Road'' (1969)

9. Bob Dylan, ``Blonde on Blonde'' (1966)

10. The Beatles, ``Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'' (1967)

Like I said, my vote is for the Beatles...

Oh yeah the Beatles were also #11

soccer4minimags
02-11-2004, 12:20 AM
I can't believe nobodys mentioned this yet, but its got to be TOOL.

taylor492
02-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by f3rr3+

"game over man, game over"

RenagadeOfFunk
02-11-2004, 08:47 PM
1. Led
2. Rage Against the Machine
3. KoRn (got 2 luv the bassssss)
4. Nirvana
5. Metallica...
....the list goes on...

BLITZMULISHA
02-11-2004, 11:42 PM
queen is great and freddy mercury is awesome
but i have to give it to IRON MAIDEN
CKY cky kicks al mighty ***

Zumina
02-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Creedence

Cryer
02-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Although I dont like them as much as I do other bands, the Beatles reign supreme. Period. All you guys spouting out modern rock bands like "Tool", "Linkin Park", etc just cant comprehend. (I like them both, so I'm not flaming you or them...)

The Beatle's first appearance on the Ed Sulivan Show (to my knowledge, someone correct me if I'm wrong...) still holds the record for most veiwers for a single broadcast. Tool, Linkin Park, Mudvayne, Metallica, and everyone else for that matter are no-names compared to the Lads from Liverpool.

As far as my personal fav's, In no particular order:

Jethro Tull
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Beatles
Foo Fighters
Nirvana
AC/DC
Jefferson Airplane (not starship, etc... jefferson airplane)
Rolling Stones
Aerosmith
Scorpions
Golden Earring
The Offspring
ZZ Top

71 LS6
02-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Trashballs! I forgot Jimi Hendrix. Thanks to whoever mentioned him, too lazy to look back. I've got a nice poster of Hendrix on my ceiling, kneeling before his flaming guitar. (It's next to my Zeppelin poster, of course).

ERut
02-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Although I'm not a tremendous fan, it's got to be the Beatles.

Ronin Baller
05-19-2004, 02:44 AM
Maybe not the best EVER, but still alot of fun to listen to when getting psyched up to go ballin'.....

KORN
(and you wouldn't believe how old I am)

Konigballer
05-19-2004, 04:16 AM
The friggin' Stones you tard baby's!!!

or maybe AC/DC for pure, no frills rock n' roll.
I loved Zep for years till some schmuck told me he thought Robert Plant sounded like a neutered puppy, and ever since then I cant listen to his voice without it pissing me off. Sorry Jimmy Page :(

I've never liked the Beatles save for a few songs, they're music is just to happy, lightweight and perfectly composed for me to like. The beatles dont have any edge, their to perfect.

Thordic
05-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Pink Floyd is a tremendously talented group, but I don't think you can call them influential. They were so unique, how many bands have you heard that you can say "Wow, those guys were influenced by Pink Floyd!". Not many (Oddly enough, you can say it about Tool. Pink Floyd is one of Maynard's favorite bands, and you can definitely hear the influence).

The Beatles started off on the wrong foot, they were the NSync of the early 60s. Its easy to forget that they were a boy-band due to the fact they developed into an awesome band. Their early songs were pretty poppy and meaningless though. The rock gods may strike me down for saying so, but I can't stand John Lenin. Not worth argueing about here, but I don't. They are up there, but I wouldn't put them first.

Cream is undeniably one of the most talented bands ever assembled, short of maybe the Traveling Wilburys, but they had a fairly short shelf-life as Eric Clapton changed bands every month back then. If you could lump Cream, Derek and the Dominos, the Yardbirds, and all his solo stuff into one piece, then I'd say that he is probably the most influential musician ever.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn. One of the most talented blues guitarists ever, he had some amazing blues-rock fusion going on. You'd have trouble finding anyone who could keep up with him.

Led Zeppelin is undeniably the greatest rock band ever. They embody everything a rock band is and should be. They rocked hard, partied harder, wailed on guitars, had meaningful lyrics, banged every groupie they could find, put out tons of awesome songs, influenced just about everyone who came after them, and then went down in flames when one of their own died. You cannot find a more true tale of the rock and roll lifestyle than Led Zeppelin. They ARE rock and roll. There may be more influential bands out there, or more talented ones, better singers, better guitar players, whatever. All that is debateable. But the total package? Only Led Zeppelin can claim that.

Thordic
05-19-2004, 08:26 AM
By the way, I havn't seen anyone mention them, but one of the most amazing bands in rock is Aerosmith.

30+ years now, and they still are getting new fans and having new hits.

The Stones might have been around longer, but they've been on the decline since the 70s. Their fan base isn't getting much bigger.

Aerosmith gets tons of new fans every time they put out an album. I don't think you can find another group who has been able to remain relevant for as long as they are.

xXHavokXx
05-19-2004, 02:43 PM
I would have to say:

1. Led Zepplin - they created rock and roll and the image of the front man.
2. Cream (anything with clapton) - too much talent
3. AC/DC - nuff said
4. Nirvana - They ended the 70's and 80's and forced change.
5. Black Label Society (Or any incarnation with Zakk) He's a ****'in monster, and very multi dimensional. He has talent, heart and soul.
6. Parlament/Funkadelic - Again changed alot of things and ushered in new sounds (And Bootsy can play the bass, he's my idol.)
7. Queen - Stage presence and power. Front runner to KISS!!!!
8. Motorhead - Lenny is ugly as hell but they brought a new feel to rock.

I'm sure there is way more but those are some of my all time greats.

Eagle
05-19-2004, 03:53 PM
zep, ZEP, ZEPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Jack_Dubious
05-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Black Sabbath.

kauai_paintball
05-19-2004, 04:07 PM
come on people! everyone say it with me!

U2

Cryer
05-19-2004, 04:26 PM
I hate u2. I would be pleased if they were to dissappear.

xXHavokXx
05-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Same way i feel about mayo. Damn i hate that stuff.

dwab3000
05-19-2004, 06:09 PM
BLACK FREAKIN SABBATHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

or just ozzy alone

also anything with Zakk WYlde...he can freeakin wail on his axe.....

so ozzy and black label societyy...

or skold 5

xXHavokXx
05-19-2004, 07:05 PM
SDMF!!!!

Another Zakk fan, ohhh yeah and add Black Sabbath to my list

Maksimus54
05-19-2004, 07:53 PM
1. Zep
2. Floyd
3. Jimi
4. Nirvana
5. Sublime

and that is just how it is folks.

Cryer
05-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Mak, you're forgetting teh Beatles!

They have had more influence on rock than Zep, IMO. (I like Zep better... In fact, I'm not a big beatles fan, but credit where credit is due, right?)

dragun_30
05-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Dream Theater rocks all, i completely agree with the other guy who posted about them

Dryden
05-19-2004, 09:48 PM
I hate u2. I would be pleased if they were to dissappear.Yes yes yes. Please put U2, N-Stink, the Backwards Boyz, Kid Rock, and about 80 others on a plane to a benefit concert, then shoot the sucker down.

U2 filled a void between the Classic/Progressive Rock of the 70s and the Hair Metal/Pop Rock of the late 80s. Sunday Bloody Sunday was a great tune, and War was a very good album, but come on ... the 80s are over. Go away already! :D

EDIT: Cryer, I literally had Budweiser spraying from the nostrils when I saw the new Stormtrooper sig bobbing his head up and down and "rawking on."

You owe me a new keyboard!!!! ;)

Cryer
05-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Yes yes yes. Please put U2, N-Stink, the Backwards Boyz, Kid Rock, and about 80 others on a plane to a benefit concert, then shoot the sucker down.

U2 filled a void between the Classic/Progressive Rock of the 70s and the Hair Metal/Pop Rock of the late 80s. Sunday Bloody Sunday was a great tune, and War was a very good album, but come on ... the 80s are over. Go away already! :D

My thoughts, aswell...

and on top of that, Bono is full of himself like no one else. I dont like him at all :(

SGTKennedy
05-20-2004, 01:08 AM
top five no order
Zep, Doors, Jimi, Aerosmith, Queen, nirvana.

hendrix died way to young, i wonder what music today would be if he hadnt died.

Nirvana has had so much influence on new music... they will be played alongside the rest in 10 more years.

dwab3000
05-20-2004, 08:09 AM
nirvana.

4. Nirvana
hmmmmmm would nirvana be as famous if kurt didnt die (im not saying either suicide or killed by courtney....)
i really dont think so, they were a great band but after there first few unknown albums, they just kinda repeated what i had seen

i forgot to post all my top ten so here they are

1) black sabbath or just ozzy alone
2)Zakk Wylde or his Black Label Society
3)Doors
4)Red Hot Chili Peppers (they just dont seem the normal funk metal band to me)
5)Pearl Jam (i just like the feel i get from them)
6)Primus (the most unique thing ive heard)
7)Metallica
8)Rage Against The Machine
9)White Zombie
10)Sex Pistols

davidb
05-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Led Zeppelin is undeniably the greatest rock band ever. They embody everything a rock band is and should be. They rocked hard, partied harder, wailed on guitars, had meaningful lyrics, banged every groupie they could find, put out tons of awesome songs, influenced just about everyone who came after them, and then went down in flames when one of their own died. You cannot find a more true tale of the rock and roll lifestyle than Led Zeppelin. They ARE rock and roll. There may be more influential bands out there, or more talented ones, better singers, better guitar players, whatever. All that is debateable. But the total package? Only Led Zeppelin can claim that.

Everyone just do me a favor and pretend I said that, mmkay? :D

taylor492
05-20-2004, 04:10 PM
I dont understand why Drugs, sex, and death are the prerequistes to a great Rock band. What i consider qualitys of a great rock band are all the things thordic said Led Zepplin is no good at.

MadChild
05-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Modest Mouse

davidb
05-21-2004, 01:02 AM
I dont understand why Drugs, sex, and death are the prerequistes to a great Rock band. What i consider qualitys of a great rock band are all the things thordic said Led Zepplin is no good at.

Prerequisites? Certainly not. However those things are automatically attributed to "rock" as a whole, BECAUSE of Led Zeppelin.

And Thordic was not saying that Zep was "no good" at anything, he was just saying that they are not the be-all-end-all of every category. Mercury might have had a better voice than Plant. The Who might have had better lyrics. Clapton may be Page's superior on a guitar. Hell, while I'm at it, Metallica might have them beat in the "energy" department (Not necissarily though.. can you say "AAAAaaAAAAAAaaaAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D). All these things may or may not be true, but as a package, they're an extremely difficult act to follow, much less beat, and they reign supreme as far as sheer greatness goes.

IMO...

gemplard
04-07-2005, 10:50 PM
wow, this is kind of from the dead, but its a good topic.
I personally like guns n roses, stones, and aerosmith, but i think that the band that really revolutionized rock was Led Zeppelin. They are the apitamy of rock IMO.

JrnyFan1985
04-08-2005, 05:24 AM
alot of these guys just sound like an old 70's classic rock station.

also, their can't be a greatest band ever. people's views change over time. Mind you I love the classics like Zep and Floyd. But Tool is by far my favorite band (save for Journey).

Target Practice
04-08-2005, 06:02 AM
alot of these guys just sound like an old 70's classic rock station.

also, their can't be a greatest band ever. people's views change over time. Mind you I love the classics like Zep and Floyd. But Tool is by far my favorite band (save for Journey).

I knew this was coming. What the hell are you doing up this late, Dwight?

EDIT: davidb too?!?

Gahdamnit, two of my best friends up at 0430, and I'm too busy writing a term paper that's due in 5 hours to PM them. Jeez.

Eric Cartman
04-08-2005, 10:10 AM
8. Motorhead - Lenny is ugly as hell but they brought a new feel to rock.

It's Lemmy not Lenny. Lemmy is God.

"If you squeeze my lizard, I'll put my snake in you. I'm a romantic adventure, and a reptile too" - from Killed by Death

I just does not get any better than that.

Back on topic, it has to be Led Zeppelin.
There are too many honourable mentions to even get started listing them.

Eatem Alive
04-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Tool

Python14
04-08-2005, 11:02 AM
I think 100 years from now, everyone will remember Zepplin.....but not for the music. They will be remembered for being Led Zep. I think the best rock band will be The Beatles. Even me, a major Death metal person, can appreciate The Beatles and their music. I respect Zep for what they did, but honestly, they are posthumously building a tower that has no where to go but down. Paige has some skill, I admit. But what about Petrucci? He's gotta have more talent in his fingers than anyone could ever hope to have in their whole body. And What about Keith Richards? His music was hardly complicated or technical or anything like that, but Hell, the stuff was catchy. Same applies to Lennon and Harrison. They didn't make complicated music. The made music that stuck with you. Everyone knows stairway to heaven just because it's played on the radio 5 times everyday on every radio station across the country.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just sick of college music :p

CKY_Alliance
04-08-2005, 04:17 PM
queen is great and freddy mercury is awesome
but i have to give it to IRON MAIDEN
CKY cky kicks al mighty ***

O hell yes CKY man!!!

The Doors
The Who
The Clash
The Misfits
Nirvana
Eagles (is it THE Eagles?...I should be ashamed for not knowing)
CKY
Danzig
The Melvins
Umm prolly more plus soem of the ones listed Zep and Floyd..Queen.

O and somone mentioned one of the guys in Metallica had a misfits Tatoo..yea he had the fiend skull but hes the one that died in the bus accident(the bassis)Somone else in the band may have one to..but i know he did...The Misfits were big influences on Metallica..
Metallica is pretty good they got some good stuff.

kramer
04-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Yes Queen. If ya listened to it insted of ostracizing, ya might notice thier music is some of the best music ever. they understood what every note meant and freddy mercury knew how to used his vocals in a way that wasnt screaming and still draged with in with a melodic effect.

I study music theory:D but yes floyd rules also

HELL yeah - Queen rules - what other band is able to mix classical with hard rock as effectively as Queen?

The Queen is dead - LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

puckmaster
04-09-2005, 10:20 PM
The Best band ever is Spinal Tap. ;)
just kidding. They are better than 80% of the bands back in the 80s, and are better than most bands now. to bad there fictional.

But anyway, i think the top 10 bands are;
-Led Zeppelin
-Pink Floyd
-Black Sabboth
-Ozzy(after he left sabboth)
-queen
-Guns N Roses(stuff off of appitite, lies, and some of use your illusions)
-The Who
-ACDC
-Motley crue(mainly shout at the devil and girls, girls, girls.)
-Deep purple.
There not really in order, but Led Zeppelin is the Best ever, followed by a jumpled 2nd place.

Kai
04-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Out of the bands mentioned in this thread, my top 5 would have to be broken down like this:

1. Jimi
2. The Beatles
3. Floyd.
4. Queen.
5. The Who.

Was Zeppelin the "ultimate rock n' roll band" ?

Probably.

Are they my favorite?

Obviously not.

TheDuelist
04-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Rush...one of the most underrated bands and by far one of the best groups musically. Very few will deny Neil Peart has influenced a ton of percussionists, Geddy Lee is amazing on the bass and keyboards as well as having an incredibly distinctive voice and then what can you say about Alex. He is by far THE most underrated guitarists in the business. Take all three, drop them in a bottle, shake well, and you get well over 20 years of some amazing music.

Teamslayer76
04-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Primus is the greatest band ever...
As for Classical Led Zepplin....Down by the seaside! Se the boats go sailing! Da Da DA!

ultralight
04-17-2005, 10:35 PM
my top ten

1) black sabbath or just ozzy alone
2)Zakk Wylde or his Black Label Society
3)Doors
4)Red Hot Chili Peppers (they just dont seem the normal funk metal band to me)
5)Pearl Jam (i just like the feel i get from them)
6)Primus (the most unique thing ive heard)
7)Metallica
8)Rage Against The Machine
9)White Zombie
10)Sex Pistols

pearl jam, zakk wylde, rage, and sex pistols in the top ten all-time greatest rock bands?? i think i'm going to be sick.

Rush...one of the most underrated bands and by far one of the best groups musically. Very few will deny Neil Peart has influenced a ton of percussionists, Geddy Lee is amazing on the bass and keyboards as well as having an incredibly distinctive voice and then what can you say about Alex. He is by far THE most underrated guitarists in the business. Take all three, drop them in a bottle, shake well, and you get well over 20 years of some amazing music.

i would have to say that THe most underrated guitarist is PRINCE. look up some footage of him playing, it's jaw dropping.

as for my opinion of the best rock and roll band of all time? i'd say it's a tie between zep and AC/DC.

alot of people say it's the beatles, and theyre probly the most influential, but that's just not what i think of when somebody says "rock and roll".

for me rock and roll is pure unbridled energy. and those two bands personify that.

quik
04-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Woh you thread ressurectors suck more than led zeppelin!

68bird
04-18-2005, 12:31 AM
GWAR

atm743
04-18-2005, 12:34 AM
GWAR
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

xXHavokXx
04-18-2005, 01:15 AM
rofl

I also want to add...Opeth. Kinda Black Metal Light but those guys can play.

and I meant Lemmy.....

devildog
04-18-2005, 10:00 AM
oh man, im a metal man, i love

iron maiden
judas priest
queensryche
don dokken
dio
falconer
manowar
anthrax

i also love the all the new european bands coming out, they have that good metal sound to them:

lost horizon
gamma ray
labyrinth

there is more, but im not gonna list them all

Repoman-gene
04-18-2005, 10:10 AM
I can't believe 101 posts and no mention of KISS!

bad or good I would have thought they made somebodys list...

BigBadBeDDy
04-18-2005, 03:52 PM
zepp
the who
queen
floyd

puckmaster
04-19-2005, 11:29 PM
I can't believe 101 posts and no mention of KISS!

bad or good I would have thought they made somebodys list...

comeon, they sang "I was made for loving you." That song destroyed them in my mind. Its not horribly horrible, but it is definently not kiss. But i think the rest of there stuff puts them in the top 15.

Jakedubbleya
04-20-2005, 12:06 AM
1. The Beatles
2. Derek & the Dominoes
3. Cream
4. Pink Floyd
5. Tenacious D

I think Clapton closed the coffin when he said "later losers" and left the yardbirds to Page.

Page is allright tho i admit, id still put him below oh say KISS tho lol.

Next to Bob Dylan the Beatles have the single largest amount of good music ever, they invented like every sound of classic rock and roll+ a lot of psycadelic. Nobody can deny it the beatles #1 greatest rock band of all time, even though George was the only one i liked lol.

Ov3rmind
04-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Joy Division

personman
04-20-2005, 03:43 PM
smasssshing pumpkins

mcveighr
04-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Rush, Zep, Maiden, Floyd, etc.

etjoyride
04-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Queen

Kai
04-21-2005, 04:08 PM
GWAR

IDIOT

68magOwner
04-22-2005, 07:54 PM
some of my personal favorites entail-

Beatles
AC/DC

JoeyBear
04-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Still a big fan of the Grateful Dead. Followed them for 2 1/2 years and I miss those days on the road. Other than that, most of the alternative/synthesizer bands from the 80s are still on the top of my list.

edman282
04-23-2005, 11:16 AM
tool and rush

and teamslayer, primus is funk...but they still rock.

AutomagBoy
04-23-2005, 03:51 PM
I applaud those who mentioned primus but i dont think they deseverve to be on the top ten

Beatles
Cream
Led Zep
Bob dylan

Rooster
04-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Zeppelin

Discussion over.

bam wannabe
04-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Zeppelin

Discussion over.

exactly

mr.mag218
04-24-2005, 09:40 PM
ZZ TOP say what you want, but those beards and the guitar spin thing they do in their music videos get me every time.