PDA

View Full Version : Mask HUD

i_baked_cookies
02-09-2004, 09:30 PM
i was reading another post by someone and they mentioned a mask with a HUD.

This would be probably the biggest step forward in paintball since the electro or nitro

think of how cool it would be to see who got out, scores, timeleft, etc. it would be so great if a ref had a seperate control unit, and he put in who got out, and it was broadcast to the masks.

put in some ideas and discuss

purplemag
02-09-2004, 09:35 PM
I cannot even fathom the cost of something like that! I mean c'mon so far only high price tag luxury cars have that option, and F-14/18 Fighter Jets!!!
Maybe a little to high tech for paintball!
Although we did have electric markers before real guns made elctric ones!

ASDadam
02-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Ahh yes, my old baby had a HUD. I loved it, being able to see my speed and stuff as i drove. RIP 95 Bonneville SSE AKA Uncle Ben.
But seriously, it would cost WAY too much for that setup, but would indeed be something awesome.

the_next_guy_
02-09-2004, 10:30 PM
I don't really see enough benefit to outweigh the cost/weight/care. It could tell you how much paint you have, but they make clear hoppers. It could tell you how much air you have, but you could just check your gague before the game. It could tell you how many players have been eliminated, but I think that would take the element of communication out of the game, and that is a major part of paintball. I may be missing some major functions, but I think that it would not bring anything to paintball other than another thing to spend money on. It would be cool to mess around with though:D

i_baked_cookies
02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
i dont think it should be as advanced to actually have communications with your gun and hopper (for air and ball numbers)

and yes, it would be mighty expensive, but cool. It would be a serious advantage in a "big game" or an oldschool woodsball game where there is alot of room and stuff.

its just a good idea... maybe someone should develop this or something.

cough agd cough... mhrrmmm excuse me

speedyejl
02-09-2004, 10:44 PM
It wouldn't have a place in Tournament level paintball. It can't be the next GREAT thing if its irrelevant to tournies. Old men are running around the woods with IR goggles and Night Vision as it is, this wouldn't be to amazing, then again I've never played a game where a GPS map in my face would be useful.

50 cal
02-09-2004, 10:55 PM
In a 15 min speedball game, what would the advantage be to a HUD? None.
Someone will eventually build a massively expensive HUD mask and some little kid who's daddy has a huge limit on the Visa card will buy it for the little whiner.

Gotta admit it though, HUD mask would be up there on the CDI(chicks dig it) factor.

purplemag
02-09-2004, 11:21 PM
I really think this is getting to far into the fantasy/Halo game thing. There is no real need for something of this sort. Make a poll, I think it goes in the cool factor, but not cool enough to justify the cost and usefullness in the world of paintball.

JuggaloDave
02-09-2004, 11:47 PM
would kinda suck imo. it would obstruct your veiw, and why are you checking you score in the middle of a game, you shold check it before and after. it would cause the reff to take his/her eyes away from the game, which would be vary bad. if you cannot keep track of how many ppl are on the feild you are not paying enough attention to the game. there is no point to it other than to be cool, but it look so clunky it would suck. plus, you would have to have a wireless routher or something in it to get the broad casted info, and then you need an antenea, so not only are losing the smaller goggle, your making a bigger area to hit. totaly stupid imo. although it would be funny to hear-
dat dat dat "check your antenea!"

Mindflux
02-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by ASDadam
Ahh yes, my old baby had a HUD. I loved it, being able to see my speed and stuff as i drove. RIP 95 Bonneville SSE AKA Uncle Ben.
But seriously, it would cost WAY too much for that setup, but would indeed be something awesome.

That isn't even true HUD. My buddies 2000 Grand Prix has that, it just bounces the image off the windshield to give it a whole HUD look.

:rolleyes:

Mindflux
02-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by JuggaloDave
would kinda suck imo. it would obstruct your veiw, and why are you checking you score in the middle of a game, you shold check it before and after. it would cause the reff to take his/her eyes away from the game, which would be vary bad. if you cannot keep track of how many ppl are on the feild you are not paying enough attention to the game. there is no point to it other than to be cool, but it look so clunky it would suck. plus, you would have to have a wireless routher or something in it to get the broad casted info, and then you need an antenea, so not only are losing the smaller goggle, your making a bigger area to hit. totaly stupid imo. although it would be funny to hear-
dat dat dat "check your antenea!"

It has been proven many times over that objects in site but not your primary view (which would be the field) do still get taken in and conciously accounted for.

dansim
02-10-2004, 08:22 AM
i had some plans for a cheaper hud for just a countdown timer, nothing that relflects just a differnt place for a screen i disscussed it with data pimp but i dont think anything is coming out of it

Dryden
02-10-2004, 05:17 PM
I don't think it would necessarily have to be expensive or cost prohibitive. Certainly, the first thing JT or Dye brings to market with such functionality will be extremely overpriced, but I don't think it's difficult to do technically.

At a basic level, you only need a single color light source to project into the interior of the lense. A small enough unit could easily snap-on to where a fan would sit now, or project onto the lense from the side, near your temples.

Most modern paintball lenses are already manufactured with such precision that the interior is marginally reflective, and since it's parabolically shaped, it's just a matter of mounting a 9v powered projector at a workable angle.

Just a projection image of a game timer in the top right corner of the lense would be enough for me. While GPS is a 'killer app' for large woodsball courses, that would be - and justifiably so - much more expensive.

Frankly though, I think as a sellable feature, this is still several years away. I expect to see self-tinting, UV reactive lenses much sooner.

dansim
02-10-2004, 05:35 PM
the raven mask already has those lenses

dyst0pia
02-10-2004, 05:36 PM
I think the ultimate version of this whole HUD idea would be something like a full body suit. Basically, when it would detect a paintball hit on your body, it would basically turn your goggles off, so you could not see. I think that this, combined with the HUD displaying time left, balls left, and all that, would rock.

I think it would be really cool if you somehow managed to make it so that you could have text messages display on the screen. Like, if you say a certain keyword, it will broadcast a preset text message to everyone on your team. How sweet would that be?

Dryden
02-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by dyst0pia
I think the ultimate version of this whole HUD idea would be something like a full body suit. Basically, when it would detect a paintball hit on your body, it would basically turn your goggles off, so you could not see. I think that this, combined with the HUD displaying time left, balls left, and all that, would rock.

I think it would be really cool if you somehow managed to make it so that you could have text messages display on the screen. Like, if you say a certain keyword, it will broadcast a preset text message to everyone on your team. How sweet would that be? This already exists!! It's called LaserTag(tm)!

Hmm, speech to text devices with auto-taunts :)

Excuse me sir, but is your field Blackberry compliant?

dyst0pia
02-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Yes, but think of how it would help the cheating problem!!!

Dryden
02-10-2004, 05:52 PM
I can only imagine being in the middle of a 20 acre woods course for a big game when the ref shuts your googles off. :)

dyst0pia
02-10-2004, 05:55 PM
whatever. everyone should be able to walk thru the woods blindfolded.

darn. good point. so maybe just for tourney play?

or maybe they just take enough of your vision away that it is impossible to play, but you can still safely walk?