PDA

View Full Version : A few old guys in a 3 man

punkncat
02-09-2004, 09:34 PM
There is a small local only 3 man going on at a nearby field.Myself and two other "old" guys have decided to join in.
We all do well in open play , but have never played in any "team" tournies.As a matter of fact we may be lucky to get to play together(as a team)before the game date.

There will be a flag center field.The points system will be:
35pts hang
15pts pull
5pts elimination

I understand this is fairly standard in tourney play.

All of us are a little older and slower than the kids we will be playing against as far as agility and running speed.We are all good shots,and know how to be cool under pressure and communicate.The problem is that none of us really has the ability to pull off long runs and/or death defying slides into bunkers.We are all back to mid players.We can get into a bunker then move up , but running to the flag off the break is pretty much a guaranteed elimination.

Given this information, what strategy would be best to score as many points as possible even if we don't win each game?

UltimatePaintballer
02-09-2004, 09:37 PM
play 2 backs and 1 mid player and don't get shot

FallNAngel
02-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by punkncat
but running to the flag off the break is pretty much a guaranteed elimination.

So don't run for the flag off the break. One of you sweetspot the flag if someone runs for it, otherwise, try to sweetspot other lanes if possible.

punkncat
02-09-2004, 09:48 PM
I know , it seems obvious right!?
Play guard duty on the flag , and just don't get eliminated.
I guess I was just looking to see what kinda ideas might get thrown out.....

QUINCYMASSGUY
02-09-2004, 09:59 PM
One strategy I have heard nothing but positive things about is crossing up. By having people in the back corners crossing up on the field, you cover the lanes and keep the players from moving up the tape. Send the third up the middle to advance but not too aggressively, because if either back gets nailed, he needs to be able to push to the left or right, depending on which one gets hit, and cross up but from a further front position.

I am fond of this style, because so many players are cocky and feel the need to make crazy moves of the break and get to anxious that they can't stand staying back. If you guard the fifty from a distance, when they try to run to the fifty they'll get taken out.

A plan B is always important though, in case they make it.

Just my two cents.

Torbo
02-09-2004, 09:59 PM
dump paint off the break, lots of it. all 3 of you sweetspot, then walk up to bunkers around the 30. play very technically, shoot one of them out, then make a slow push. Chances are youre gonna have to shoot a bunch. Dont play small bunkers, try to play standups, etc. that you can see well out of and have good angles from.

tony3
02-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Pretty much get atleast 1 of there guys early in the game and slowly push up, and take your time, hell its 3 on 2, if you play right you should win. Just dump paint off the break, hope to get a guy or get a quick elim, make a slow push and shoot lots of paint.

Caffiend
02-09-2004, 11:23 PM
You guys can still get the flag. Have everyone take up fairly short primary bunkers and get on the trigger. Once the opposing teams gets in their bunkers, send the fastest guy up to the flag. Hopefully the opposing team stays in their bunkers a sec or two longer due to the volume of paint sent their way and he makes it to the flag. A quick secondary movement hopefully catches them off guard and it's much safer than a long primary.

Lee
02-10-2004, 09:36 AM
remember...old age and treachery defeats youth and exuberance every time....

cphilip
02-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Well I read all this but I caution you.... all depends on the layout. Dumping paint on the break? Where? You don't even know if there are lanes to dump into. Sorry but sometimes there are none. We ran into a field this weekend like that.

Your just going to have to see the field first and then decide. And try to position a guy to guard the flag when you look at the field. Whatever bunker gets you a clear veiw of that and provides cover. Preferably a stand up one. Again... since you cannot employ a points strategy in this one because of the low count for flag pull then use a field strategy. For eliminations. And that totaly depends on the field.
They gonna try and get that flag at sometime. Get one of em out trying. Then your up and one of your tape guys can move up and get an angle on them. Then shoot cross field if you can. Left tape guy shooting across to the right and right tape guy across to the left. Put your best left side shooter over on the right side of the field.

But practice your snap shooting. Patience will get them. And you have that

shartley
02-10-2004, 10:02 AM
You COULD also bring lots of cash and bribe the other teams. ;)

(Or do as has been posted by other members…. That’s good too. :D)

Quickling
02-10-2004, 11:11 AM
well the last two tournaments my team (the Rabid Squirrels) played we were a 3man pump team in a 3man open event (one tournament was rookie)... we were the only teams to have a runner to the 50.

EVERY other team took the back corners and one midfield. Every team.

So you will be doin the same thing as everyone else... don't worry. Shoot em out, then worry about the flag.

angelbeast24
02-10-2004, 01:11 PM
play aggresive without getting stupid. besides most 3 man tournys are just a slingfest until some1 gets out then real playin gets underhand