PDA

View Full Version : True professional referring organization

GT
02-10-2004, 12:29 PM
So I had this idea today that we need a true Volunteer professional reffing organization. The idea here is that you are not paid by sponsorships or play on a team. I have read too many threads about reffing biases because they have arch enemies on said team. I would also go as far to say that paintball will NEVER EVER be taken seriously as a sport until we have a 3rd party reffing these events. In fact I would love to see a few of the following requirments for thier refs:

1. Never played or never will play in professional paintball.

2. Small stipends (which would be the same for every event for each reff) or no payment at all, however all expenses should be paid.

3. Extreme code of ethics.

4. Licensing requirements that also requires a test as well as continuing education credits.

5. A certain number of years experience playing consistently as well as reffing.

6. Require some kind of understanding of EVERY marker available especially how the device is chrono'd.

7. Minimum age requirement of 18 years.

8. Professional attire. Nice pants, shoes, shirt tucked in.

I really think this is a great idea that can get started on AO. I love to watch tourney ball however I have no desire to play on the "pro" level. That being said I would love to professionally ref those events.

SlartyBartFast
02-10-2004, 12:36 PM
http://www.paintballrefs.com/

cphilip
02-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Well this was already supposed to be working. A long while back Bill Cookston was supposed to be certifying and holding classes for this regionaly. And taking applications for professional Ref. And you could not be on a team or anything. And I did submit an application and heard back from him several times to expect information on when and where the certification classes would be. But then the communication just dropped off to nothing. With all the turmoil in the Pro Leagues I suspect thats why. No one to garantee they would use these Refs! I need to get back in touch with him and see whats up. But this was already being done. But now I just do not know. If I can find his email I will ask him. Its been almost a half a year since I last spoke to him.

cphilip
02-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by SlartyBartFast
http://www.paintballrefs.com/

thats the one... but seems there is not much action anymore on that.

Also there was too many event promoters supplying the Refs from locals. And then Bill shows and deals with what he is handed to work with.

If they do not use them then this will not get off the ground.

Muzikman
02-10-2004, 01:19 PM
The WPF use to hold ref classes and so forth. Thier goal was to have organized pro refs. The idea pretty much faded away. It will not happen until organizers are willing to pay ref expenses and pay real money.

Kevmaster
02-10-2004, 01:34 PM
you'd have people willing to do it, but it would cost nearly $1000 ($100 room, $100 meals, $300 stipend, $250 air + car rental) per ref per event. Right now, paintball just doesn't bring in that kind of money, sadly. Thats all you can do to get a true unbiased reffing crew.

it won't happen