PDA

View Full Version : Article In Paper

Chipper625
02-10-2004, 04:19 PM
I don't think anyone noticed but there was a article in the Washington post saying that terrorists are using paintball markers to train.

Here's the article.....

Click Here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27235-2004Feb9.html)

As the trial began in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, prosecutors portrayed the men as militants who prepared for jihad, or holy war, abroad by playing paintball and firing weapons in the Virginia countryside.

That can't be good.

shartley
02-10-2004, 04:52 PM
This type of thing has been posted before….. and I will say the same thing as I did then….

This has nothing to do with paintball as a sport, nor will it be “bad” for the sport.

painter1009
02-10-2004, 04:55 PM
so does SWAT and other such law enforcing teams so that just goes to show that paintball is a basic procdure used to train. it wont be linked with "terrorist activites"

Chipper625
02-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Realized that you have to register so I will just tell you this, these guys were linked to AL QUAEDA (sp?), the TERRORIST group, I think that looks kind of bad.

shartley
02-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Chipper625
Realized that you have to register so I will just tell you this, these guys were linked to AL QUAEDA (sp?), the TERRORIST group, I think that looks kind of bad.
Realize that what GROUP they are associated with makes NO impact on PAINTBALL as a sport. If someone associated with Al Quaeda uses a Mustang to train to drive in, will I suddenly be associated with them since I drive one too?

Law Enforcement also uses Paintball for training and I have never been mistaken for an ATF of FBI agent when walking down the street, or while going to play paintball. Nor has anyone come up to me and told me how proud they were of me because I am playing a sport that is also used to train Law Enforcement officers… so to think someone would do anything similar (but in reverse) because some terrorist group uses paintball markers to train with and they see me going to play paintball is a bit silly. IMHO

(Not to mention that I have my own paintball field….. and I don’t think anyone is stupid enough to think I am running a terrorist training camp, or AM a terrorist.)

Again……… this has no negative connotations toward paintball at all.

Chipper625
02-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Well, why do people always get mad when we hear about these drive buys people do with paintball guns? or when people just shoot random people? There is also the fact they are going to court over it.

shartley
02-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Chipper625
Well, why do people always get mad when we hear about these drive buys people do with paintball guns? or when people just shoot random people? There is also the fact they are going to court over it.
Why? Maybe because people who use paintball equipment in drive-by shootings and similar things are actually PAINTBALL PLAYERS? And maybe because they are using the equipment in a way it was not intended to be used?

However, when ANY group of people use paintball equipment to train with, they are doing so in a manner that is not an unintended use for the equipment. The only difference between Law Enforcement using paintball for training and Terrorist groups doing the same, is WHO is doing the action.

And that is FAR different than punk kids doing drive-by shootings or shooting people at random. You can’t possibly show the same exact activity done by someone else and have it be a “good” thing.

Can you now see the huge difference between them now? One is a bad act, the other is an act done by bad people…. but the act itself is not “bad”.

And these folks are not going to court because they trained using paintball equipment… they are going to court because they were training for terrorist activities. That is another distinction.

Paintball_4_Fun
02-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Lol that s a good idea. All terrist should use small shrubs for cover. Once they learn the a small bush will protect you from weapons fire. The war would be over rather quickley i think.:p

tyrion2323
02-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by shartley

If someone associated with Al Quaeda uses a Mustang to train to drive in, will I suddenly be associated with them since I drive one too?

You drive a Mustang?!?! Aaaiiieee! Terrorist! Terrorist!

/runs away in a panic.

Jaasper
02-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Considering that story has been running around since last october or so. Its about a group of "terrorist", now when I say terrorist, the guy in question belongs to a islamic support group/protest group that was classified as a Al quaeda support group after he had already been a member of it for a while, way before it was classified as that. When he found out it had been classified as a terrorist group he dropped all membership with it, oh and he also happen to like to go out and play paintball with some of his friends which have nothing to do with the group. That was the story I read in the washington post back in October or so.

Basically they threw the paintball angle in there to hype it up a bit. I haven't reaf the latest article, don't feel like registering to read it. I have a friend in DC that sent it to me.

teufelhunden
02-10-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by tyrion2323

Aaaiiieee!

Keep your pants on, Mr. Dean

:D :p