PDA

View Full Version : 216,900 Speeding Ticket :)

PyRo
02-10-2004, 08:14 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=15&u=/ap/20040210/ap_on_fe_st/finland_speeding_fine

So, what do you think of that?
I think that system is a good idea, but thats a little overkill. My ex-girlfriends father was pretty well off, and he used to speed run stop signs, just drive like an idiot who didn't care about anyone else because he was safe in his huge SUV. He got tickets all the time, but a $500 speeding ticket for him was nothing, he just wrote a check and kept doing it. Somehow he has sofar or the last I heard not had his license suspended yet.

If I got a $500 speeding ticket, I wouldn't be driving for a long time.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
02-10-2004, 08:20 PM
I think it is a good idea, because if you have alot of money, like you said before.

The loss of $500 is no deterant

f3rr3+
02-10-2004, 09:02 PM
i dont think thats why they're doing it tho, i think its a easy buck towards more government projects... dont they have enough of our money to spend on what they want to do :mad:

painTech
02-10-2004, 09:11 PM
actually they don't.

dansim
02-10-2004, 09:12 PM
its in finland, i dont think they have enough of "our"money;)

TransMan
02-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Ticketing according to a person wealth seems fair to me like has already been said if you make a few million a year why would you care about losing 500$?? Also if you only make a few thoasand a year a 500$ ticket could keep you from eating for a month or paying your car insurance. So wouldnt it be nice for that poor person to only have to pay like 50$??

Fred
02-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Dansim... Finland has one of the strongest economies in Europe, and "their" money comes from "their" people, who pay upwards of 60% of their income in taxes every year... blech... my peeps need to get it together...

anyhoo, I remember the last time they set the record, people drive very carefully up there.

---Fred

fcpchop
02-10-2004, 10:08 PM
well in a way it is good but dumb, it is smart to raise it for those really rich people cus 500$ is nuttin to them, but a couple of hundred thousand dollars is way to much. i mean thats just stupid it should b like 10,000 or suttin.

TransMan
02-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Ya there prob shoudl be a limit but it shouldnt be 10k more like 100k cuz 10k is still pocket change for some people.

AssassN
02-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
I think it is a good idea, because if you have alot of money, like you said before.

The loss of $500 is no deterant

You can't legally drive yet. Don't meen to be rude but, what do you know?

And do you mean, deterrent?

dansim
02-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Fred
Dansim... Finland has one of the strongest economies in Europe, and "their" money comes from "their" people, who pay upwards of 60% of their income in taxes every year... blech... my peeps need to get it together...

anyhoo, I remember the last time they set the record, people drive very carefully up there.

---Fred

thats what i was saying i was replying to f3rr3+ post 2 above mine saying thats they have enough of "our" money and i replied trying to state that this is a foriegn country and that they dont have "our" money they have their "own" money

Quickling
02-11-2004, 11:21 AM

Who said you have to be a part of something to have a comment about it? By that logic no male could comment about female rights because they were not part of the group.

Anyway.. I think that it is a wonderful idea, just the other day I saw an SUV, driven by one of the richer memebers of my community, run a stop sign in fron tof a cop. He got a ticket, but what is the 200 or so bucks to someone that pulls down over 150K a year?

I know I don't speed much because the $90 my last ticket cost me is what I have set aside for the next 5 months of paintball. People need laws that impact their lives, otherwise there is no insentive for any but the lowest classes to abide by those laws.

Restola
02-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Quickling
Who said you have to be a part of something to have a comment about it? By that logic no male could comment about female rights because they were not part of the group.
Most people who drive would recognize other deterrents exist besides fines.

PyRo
02-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Fines, loosing my license, and the possibility of hurting someone and getting sued, thats about it for deterants. If I get a $500 ticket, thats about 1/20 of what I make in a year, thats a big chunk which is going to severley screw me over. But there are plenty of people who have no problem shelling out $500 every few weeks when they get cought, and don't mine hireing lawyers so they can keep there licenses.

Automaggin2
02-11-2004, 03:57 PM
I thought Finland was renamed Nokialan :confused:

Anyway, thats so stupid. They punish people who work harder and are more succesful at life for the same crime a bum could easily commit and get away with by paying 50 cents?

So stupid. Classification of people based on there wealth is stupid.

Muzikman
02-11-2004, 05:38 PM
A good way to prevent people from speeding is using the points system. In PA they use a 6 point system. For each moving violation you get X number of points. Once you reach 6 points you lose your license for so long and have to take a drivers ed class. For each year your record is clean, you lose so many points. A few years back I was sitting at 4 points from just one speeding ticket. If I got caught again I would have lost my licnese. This caused me to slow down:)

AssassN
02-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Quickling

Someone who most likely doesn't work or if he/she does I doubt it's a "real" job. Also they are not of legal driving age so they don't understand what $500 loss could mean.

Cars are money suckers. The ticket isn't what kills you either. Sure the $500 fine is bad but the $50 a month hike in insurance is the worst part. Unless you just come from an extremely rich family your about to get a taste of what money really means. When I was your age a year ago I wanted to buy all this crap and have my parents buy mroe crap. But money is alot more hard to come by in the real world. I'm not going to argue about driving with someone who has never experienced it.

PyRo
02-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Automaggin2
Anyway, thats so stupid. They punish people who work harder and are more succesful at life for the same crime a bum could easily commit and get away with by paying 50 cents?

So stupid. Classification of people based on there wealth is stupid.

So is it fair that if I get a speeding ticket I won't be able to drive at all, yet if a wealthy person gets a speeding ticket its nothing to them and they will go right out and do it again.

NY uses the point system, 11 point for a suspention
Speeding (mph over posted limit)
1 to 10 3
11 to 20 4
21 to 30 6
31 to 40 8
More than 40 11
Reckless Driving 5
Failure to stop for a School Bus 5
Following too closely (tailgating) 4
Inadequate Brakes 4
(while driving employer's vehicle) 2
Failing to Yield Right-Of-Way 3
Violation Involving Traffic Signal, Stop Sign, or Yield Sign 3
Railroad Crossing Violation 3
Improper Passing or Lane Use 3
Leaving scene of an incident involving property damage or injury to an animal 3
Child safety restraint violation 3
Any other moving violation 2

but if you go to court as my frineds have already discovered, they will usually offer you a prety good plea bargain. My step brother got a few tickets, and he got off just paying the fine, no points so no insurance increase.

Basically what it comes down to is the law doesn't apply to the wealthy. Thats also true in alot of criminal cases, most milionairs won't go to jail for as long as a poor person would for the same crime. For those of you against this, you have nothing to worry about since the wealthy ones are incharge so it will probably never change.

jdev
02-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by PyRo
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=15&u=/ap/20040210/ap_on_fe_st/finland_speeding_fine

So, what do you think of that?
I think that system is a good idea, but thats a little overkill. My ex-girlfriends father was pretty well off, and he used to speed run stop signs, just drive like an idiot who didn't care about anyone else because he was safe in his huge SUV. He got tickets all the time, but a $500 speeding ticket for him was nothing, he just wrote a check and kept doing it. Somehow he has sofar or the last I heard not had his license suspended yet.

If I got a $500 speeding ticket, I wouldn't be driving for a long time.

its people like that, that I just hope they die in a firey car accident. "oh well, another speeding ticket.. i'll just write this off, keep driving like a dick, and hope I don't kill someone in the process"

I think the idea is a good idea. I have really turned my driving around, and haven't been ticketed in over a year now. that may not be much to you, but, to someone like myself who has lost his license 4 times, its quite the accomplishment.

anyways.. i like the idea. eliminates people thinking they are buying their way out of tickets.

and by the way. I had a speeding ticket, once.. cost me $672. sure as hell taught me to slow down. and it was the first ticket i ever got.. been driving since i was 17, im now 22.

CasingBill
02-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Doesn't seem fair to me. Why should something cost more because someone has more? You mean he should pay $10 for a loaf of bread cause he has more money. Doesn't sound like equal rights.:confused:

Joni
02-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Driving reclessly isn't the same thing as buying a loaf of bread. Give that guy a 200$ ticket and he will just shrug it of.

Hyvä Suomi!!!!

PyRo
02-11-2004, 08:33 PM
Why don't we all pay the same income taxes? If it was a fixed rate some people would be paying more than they make in taxes.

Its justified because the purpose of giving tickets is to deter people from driving reclously. For people who can write out a check and not think about it it isn't a deterant. Thats why its fair.

yeahthatsme
02-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by AssassN

And do you mean, deterrent?

theres no need to attack him, he was just stating his opinion, atleast he contributed to the thread.

Zumina
02-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Stupid Fins:rolleyes:

Lohman446
02-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Why does speed not consider the vehicle you are driving. When I drove my Corvette i could safely control a higher speed than in my Explorer. My Porsche is the same way. Why do we use speed limits that are not depended on teh car, why does the same speed limit apply to an Excursion as a Jaguar?

Joni
02-12-2004, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Zumina
Stupid Fins:rolleyes:

Turpa kiini ja tule tänne, tai saat turpin niin että veri lentää. VITTU! :D :D

Try to get THAT with the cuss filter

PyRo
02-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Because that would cause endless *****ing, and you with your 100mph speed limit in the ferrari would be alot more dangerous to the guy in an old jeep with a top speed of 45 :)