PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who actually likes twist-lock?

paint magnet
02-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Personally, I love twist lock and hate cocker threaded (and most other threads) barrels. Anyone else out there feel the same way, or am I all alone?

RRfireblade
02-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Like the twist lock idea.

Hate the detent options,barrel selection and instability of the barrel when supported by o-rings.

Utimately,I like threaded barrels more overall.Would rather have like Impulse threads though that far less fine and faster than cocker.

paint magnet
02-12-2004, 10:11 AM
True, the detent thing is the only issue I have with them. But if you have a powerfeed it isn't as much of an issue.

-=Squid=-
02-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Well, RR pretty much covered them all, but the big thing to me was the fact that not all big companies supported twist lock, because it was very different to manufacture... therefor giving you a much smaller selection of barrels.

Creative Mayhem
02-12-2004, 10:58 AM
I think this has been covered before, but what the heck.. ;)

Twist locks are better, more secure in the body, not to mention no chance of the backing out due to vibraation. However, the cost to purchase one is and has been usually $10-20 more than cocker threaded barrels due to the milling of the mag "threads" Which is really the only reason that most manufacturers have gone to regular threads(impy, cocker, angel, etc...) Tom designed mag threads to be better(for the mag) and they were, now with the advent of the ULE the mag thread just doesn't tie in with the overall scheme of things.

RRfireblade
02-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Creative Mayhem
I think this has been covered before, but what the heck.. ;)

Twist locks are better, more secure in the body, not to mention no chance of the backing out due to vibraation.

I don't agree w/ that.They are held in place by o-rings.Because of that they are very often problematic in combination with a L10.Any pressure on the barrel(leaning into a bunker for instance)will often reset the L10 and cause a misfire.Also,many after market companys have been generous in thier twist lock demensions that also raise the potential for problems.

Stick on o-ring on a Cocker barrel and your done.;)

Wes Janson
02-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Personally I like them. The instability issue is negated by the fact that I'm using an 8 inch barrel on a minimag, so it rarely encounters other objects (the same is not to be said of the paintballs, however). It is however somewhat confusing to pull the trigger, and no ball come forth. Check the hopper, check the plug, check the paint...finally remember your threading, rotate barrel a quarter-inch to the left, and then smack yourself on the head for being an idiot.

hitech
02-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
Hate the detent options...

Interesting. The biggest problem I have with the new ULE bodies is the DETENT. I've NEVER had a problem with the plastic nubbins in the twist lock barrels. I've never seen anyone have a problem. I seen lots of people have problems with the Angel detent system. Kila's detents might be very good, but at $25 they are more than 25 times as expensive!

I'm probably going to switch to the ULE body. However, it's because of the weight savings and the lowered profile (warp body). It is in spite of the detent system, not because of it.

Also, with the level 10 bolt the ability of easily removing the barrel to squeege just isn't as big a plus as it once was. ;)

felony
02-12-2004, 01:50 PM
twist locks were tight.

i loved em, just like the ULE more.

dan

The Action Figure
02-12-2004, 01:51 PM
im sellin my blue ule mech mag ank keepin my twistlock clares e-mag body mag

Top Secret
02-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Nothing like taking your twist lock off a No-Rise body with your HALO B still on...

Wes Janson
02-12-2004, 02:50 PM
:D :D :D

Nothing like taking your twist-lock barrel off to check something, then re-inserting it...giving it a slight push because something was stuck...then having to remove it and spend five minutes cleaning the bolt because of the ball you just crushed.

AGDlover
02-12-2004, 03:31 PM
I would have to say i do like the Twist lock idea but a cool idea is if when u get a ULE Body u chouse what kinda of threading u want for it.

tony3
02-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Wow, that sentence was terrible. Anyways, twist and locks are cool on power feed guns, nothing else. With powerfeed you can stop the flow of balls so they don't roll out, and you don't need to flip the gun upside down. I would much rather take impulse or m98 threads over cocker threads.

Creative Mayhem
02-12-2004, 05:29 PM

I don't agree w/ that.They are held in place by o-rings.Because of that they are very often problematic in combination with a L10.Any pressure on the barrel(leaning into a bunker for instance)will often reset the L10 and cause a misfire.Also,many after market companys have been generous in thier twist lock demensions that also raise the potential for problems.

Stick on o-ring on a Cocker barrel and your done.;)

Yes you are correct, but..... Mag threaded barrels came out when?

Yes thats correct class... BEFORE LVL10 :D

ERut
02-12-2004, 05:44 PM
The twist locks are fine, but the selection problem just isn't worth it. Plus I hate when you take off the barrel and balls fall out. I'd take a cocker barrel over a twist lock.

Of course, I'm not a tremendous fan of cocker barrels either. It looks like they're becoming the industry standard, but if it was up to me, every gun would have tippmann 98 threads. You can screw them on so fast, its like having the ease of a twist lock without any of the pains:)

chizle97
02-12-2004, 05:47 PM
well i for one like twist lock because........ its what im stuck with
when i upgrade to a ule or sumthin i dont really wanna drop another 50 buck on another barrel.

-Tab
02-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Wes Janson

Nothing like taking your twist-lock barrel off to check something, then re-inserting it...giving it a slight push because something was stuck...then having to remove it and spend five minutes cleaning the bolt because of the ball you just crushed.

AHAHA! happens ALL the time. but for some reason, i still really like the twist-lock(sometimes)
i like how fast i can take it out, instead of a cocker barrel where it takes 3 minutes to get it out:mad:

but i think i would still prefer another threading over the twist-lock.

Barfly
02-13-2004, 02:17 AM
I like twist lock, but I would rather just have cocker threads, because it is more universal.

breg
02-13-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Wes Janson

Be honest.

It more like 10 to 15 minutes.:D

But, in all honesty, I like the idea behind the twist lock threads. It's quick and easy to remove the barrel and re-attach it.
But the downside is that there are fewer choices for after market barrels, and when you find one, they are more expensive. The twist lock also just seemed to be more sturdy than the normal treads. That is a big thing with me. I like sturdy. But, the main thing with it is that more and more people asked for a treaded barrel. So, now we have the ULE bodies.

Joni
02-13-2004, 06:44 AM
The twist-lock is really the only thing I dislike about the mag. It wiggles when attached, and a tight fit means its really hard to remove the barrel....give me threads any day!

paint magnet
02-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Actually, the only twist lock barrel I have that even has a slight issue with wobbling (Taso 10", 11" Crown Point, SS Freak and 12" DYE Boomstick) is one of the most expensive - the Boomstick. The Taso is the tighest fit (which I like, but you just put a little oil on the inside of your mainbody and it slides in and out with ease) Turn off powerfeed, shoot remaining 2-3 shots in feed tube, one quarter twist and pull. Run squeegie through, twist, click, boom. I use level 7 so I wouldn't know about LX issues, but if it ain't broke...

Cocker barrel - twist, twist, twist, twist, twist, twist, twist, pull. Run squeegie through, twist, twist, twist, twist.... Not to mention the fact that I always seem to misthread it when someone is coming to bunker me. If I have a straight shot in the squeegie holder under my tank, I don't even have to reach for my squeegie. Just pull off the barrel, ram it down the squeegie while it's still in the sheath and slide it back in.

I don't see why people want ULE bodies either. Sure, they're nice and pretty but steel is still better. Steel is heavy. Heavy = good. From AGD's perspective though, I can see why they would want to make ULE bodies. More people buy them, and they are a lot cheaper to produce since they are made out of aluminum.

As for the issue over lack of available barrels, you'd be surprised how many people do still make mag barrels. J&J, Smart Parts, Dye, Custom Products, AGD, etc. Heck, Dye used to even make Phantom barrels.

RRfireblade
02-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Anyways, twist and locks are cool on power feed guns, nothing else. With powerfeed you can stop the flow of balls so they don't roll out, and you don't need to flip the gun upside down.

Uhm,try twisting the P/F feed plug. ;)

Yes you are correct, but..... Mag threaded barrels came out when? Yes thats correct class... BEFORE LVL10

And then came Cocker threaded Mags,sounds like perfect timing to me.

;)

mcveighr
02-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Uhm,try twisting the P/F feed plug.

You misread it.

RRfireblade
02-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by mcveighr

You misread it.

How do you figure?

twist and locks are cool on power feed guns,

With powerfeed you can stop the flow of balls so they don't roll out,

try twisting the P/F feed plug.

Thus stopping the flow of balls regardless of barrel type.

;)

pjammaman
02-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Personally I like the twist-lock. True it does limit the selection of aftermarket barrels, but if your existing barrels are working well why change them. I have found on the rare occurences of barrel breaks that the twist-lock barrels are much quicker to remove,clean, and replace than threaded barrels. but that is just my oppinion.

tony3
02-15-2004, 10:10 AM

How do you figure?
Thus stopping the flow of balls regardless of barrel type.
;)

Jay, read my post again, I said they are only cool on p/f guns because you can stop the flow of balls. On vert feed and standard feed you can't stop the flow of balls unless you turn the gun upside down.

paint magnet
02-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by ERut

It looks like they're becoming the industry standard, but if it was up to me, every gun would have tippmann 98 threads. You can screw them on so fast, its like having the ease of a twist lock without any of the pains:)

The only pain being the fact that Tippmann can't produce markers with consistant threads. I mean, even Brass Eagle and Kingman markers have the same threads but Tippmann still managed to screw up and now there are two styles of 98 barrels.

RRfireblade
02-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by tony3

Jay, read my post again, I said they are only cool on p/f guns because you can stop the flow of balls. On vert feed and standard feed you can't stop the flow of balls unless you turn the gun upside down.

I see what your saying now,but what effect does that have on the way a barrel unscrews?

tony3
02-15-2004, 02:14 PM
I don't understand what you are saying. I'm thinking you mean why don't the balls roll out on all vert feed guns? Since the detents on twist locks are in the barrel, once you pull it out theres nothing holding the balls back, unlike on a threaded gun.

RRfireblade
02-15-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm sorry.I didn't mean to make a big deal of it.I just don't understand why a twist lock barrel is better than a threaded barrel on a P/F gun.I'm not sure why stopping the flow of balls helps it or hurts it.

Are you meaning 'cause of the detent location when removing the barrel?

zeke1975
02-15-2004, 02:22 PM
I love the twist lock barrels, I've never had a problem with them! easy access, quick on/off.

Gabriel
02-15-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry.I didn't mean to make a big deal of it.I just don't understand why a twist lock barrel is better than a threaded barrel on a P/F gun.I'm not sure why stopping the flow of balls helps it or hurts it.

Are you meaning 'cause of the detent location when removing the barrel?

he didnt say twistlock was better on pf than any other barrels, he just said that if you have a twist lock barrel, it is best to have a pf body

RRfireblade
02-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Gabriel

he didnt say twistlock was better on pf than any other barrels, he just said that if you have a twist lock barrel, it is best to have a pf body

That's not what he said.

But it doesn't really matter anyway,just let it go.;)