PDA

View Full Version : Super-Cheap Super-Reliable Marker?

mjs1217
02-12-2004, 04:22 PM
EDIT: Thanks everyone for all the help...
I have decided on a spyder... please see my last post to read more about it. Also, please DO NOT POST anymore on this thread because I am going to start another one on my decision between the spyders, as to avoid misleading people with the title.

I've been playing alot more often now, and my gun (Spyder Compact 2000) is breaking alot more often as well (just a minor thing here or there, but it's annoying). So, I think it's time for a change...

The problem is, however, that I have a total of about $150.00. I have a hopper (just an old viewloader 200) and a 12oz co2 tank, and those suit me fine.

So...What gun should I buy for 150 dollars or less? Basically I just need it to be reliable and have a pretty good stock barrel, and preferably something small and light (so no tippmanns please).

Thanks,
-mjs

TraXeR
02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
You could probably get a used 68 mag with a verticle bottle adapter, stock barrel and thats about it. And over time, upgrade it to be sweet.

Thordic
02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
I'd stick with the spyder. I don't see how yours is breaking down often. I've had a Tl+ for years and it has taken a HELL of a beating, barely ever gets cleaned, it gets treated like crap, and its still a workhorse. Never has a problem a couple standard tank orings cant fix.

Go on ebay and buy 50 tank orings. That's your spyder repair kit, and should keep your spyder working for years.

CaptaiN_JacK
02-12-2004, 04:34 PM
the answer is directly in front of your face....a classic mag! i can't believe you even asked that Q on the automags forum and didn't think of it youself....

mjs1217
02-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Well my brother has owned 2 used mags and they both had alot of leaking problems, so i'd prefer to stay away from getting a used gun...my family has bad luck with used things. (If I had the money though, a new mag is my first choice). Also, about the spyder, it's actually missing a few parts like one of the trigger frame screws that keeps it on the gun, which causes a few problems, and the little piece of metal that keeps the field strip pin in place. I really would just like a brand new gun, seeing as it will be the first new gun that i've ever owned.
Oh, and by the way, don't blame me for the missing parts, I bought this gun used and it was missing both of those to begin with.

Any other suggestions, please?

Corbet
02-12-2004, 04:56 PM
No offense, but if you only have 150.00 to spend you can pretty expect to get a Spyder, Pirahna, Spyder Clone, Brass Eagle, or Tippmann gun.

sslecyk03
02-12-2004, 05:09 PM
buy a new spyder and take care of it or save up and buy a mag.

TheDoveDecends
02-12-2004, 05:18 PM
well for that money.. Id probably say a tippmann 98c. I sware you can kick, throw, run over those things.. and they work just as well the next time you gas it up.. sounds like it would be the right gun for you.

mjs1217
02-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Actually, I take really good care of my guns, this one was missing the parts when I bought it. And I really don't want a Tippmann because I play speedball and i'm the front player, so I need something small and light if possible.

ERut
02-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Man, go for a used mag. Pretty much any leaking problem can be fixed with oil or o-rings.

.tMan
02-12-2004, 05:51 PM
I'd say go for a Tippmann 98 Custom. There are always a few floating around the forums. Or you can buy a new one for cheap also. They never brak down and if they do you can get it fixed Very cheap and Very easy!
Go Tippmann

mjs1217
02-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Well the problem with the idea of getting a used mag, other than the fact that I don't like used guns, is that most of them are modified with a few things, so they cost about 200, which is more than I have :(

RAM3139
02-12-2004, 05:59 PM
You could get a new mechanical spyder, like an Xtra for about 70. Spend some time learning its ins and out, get spare orings/seals etc and you would be all set. Its cheap, and its as reliable as the owner.

goat
02-12-2004, 06:11 PM
I'm gonna PM you, might have some info for ya.
Goat

Magluvr
02-12-2004, 06:15 PM
If you really want a NEW marker then this is what I propose,

Go get a simple Piranha. (Why? They are very similar to the Spyders BUT are made in USA AND they use the "standard" bottomline screw placement- its inline instead of angled.)

Use it for at least a week and then see what to add to it.

If its not accurate enough check out a different barrel (though my PMI barrel was great, but a bit louder than I wanted it)

If it is chopping go get an anti-pinch bolt; etc...)

MOST important thing is: USE the STOCK marker for a while, and decide what you need. If you just start upgrading like mad before giving it time, you'll probably spend a lot of money on things you don't need, and you won't be happy even though it is "tricked out"!

RT pRo AuToMaG
02-12-2004, 06:19 PM
save your money and get a ULE RT Pro. You just need to make around 300 bux. Don't waste your money on another spyder, you would basically be getting the exact same gun.

Falcon1
02-12-2004, 06:26 PM
ya get ULE RT. Thats what im tring to get if they were in stock lol...

AcemanPB
02-12-2004, 06:30 PM
With that money buying new, your are kind of stuck with the blowbacks. I'd look at Piranha's, I think they are the better and more reliable brand of blowback's. And for 150 dollars you can get one with an electro frame also (although then you will need an electronic hopper).

-=Squid=-
02-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Well, it sounds as though your a rec player, who plays as hobby... so I Would recommend a tippman 98... has some fun upgrades that are cheap, built like a tank, and a nice trigger pull on it. I wouldnt recommend a classic mag, to be honest with you.

mjs1217
02-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Well, where I live, there's alot of competition between the recballers. I would really like a semi-used, stock mag with nothing more than a descent barrel, foregrip, and gas lines. But, everything that i've found on these boards are more modified than that, and so they go for more than I can spend. And, not to be ungreatefull or anything, but PLEASE no more reccamendations for Tippmanns. I know that they are great, solid, reliable markers, but I don't like the way that they feel in that they are a little too heavy and bulky for my playing style. But like I said, sorry if I sound ungreatefull for all the help, because I really do appreciate it.

Thanks,
-mjs

titan aresta
02-12-2004, 06:38 PM
sell the spyder, buy a phantom.

Quickling
02-13-2004, 02:14 PM
I will second the phatom. www.bunkerboyz.com

How much do you spend to play now? Buy a phatom with your 150, then everytime you play, take the same $$ you took when you used the spyder, use the phantom, and but whatever is left in a new gun fund. You will find you will be playing for pennies. Playing pump will keep you outta the spray and pray attitude that makes this game expensive.

Odder
02-13-2004, 04:18 PM
let's see now your criterias are below $150. reliable, small and light. hmmm... let's see...

Armotech Zeus the only semi pistol that falls under $150, that is worth looking at. other than that a PGP is probably the most reliable gun you can get. most the ones that is being passed around on Ebay are over 10 years old now, and they still work!!

personman
02-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Tippmann, nothing wrong with them.
I've gotten to the 50 off the break and crawled the snake with a tippmann, eliminating around 4 people in a game. I highly reccommend a better barrel though, the stock one curves like a mofo.

PissedGodzilla
02-13-2004, 04:39 PM
I know everyone is probably going to bash me for this, but I love mine, and it is less that 150.

Icon-E

Reliable: I have had it for over a year and I had ONE cup seal bust on me, no other problems whatsoever.

Upgradeable: Takes all spyder upgrades.... and believe me, there are spyder upgrades everywhere....

Secksy: I am a fan of the look of it. I love the Chrome!!!!

Trauma
02-13-2004, 06:15 PM
I would save a 100 bucks and get a dragun TES, it shoots like an espyder but it has an antichop eye on it, pretty good deal if you ask me

FallNAngel
02-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Magluvr
If it is chopping go get an anti-pinch bolt; etc...)

I think you mean an anti-chop bolt. ;)

mjs1217
02-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Okay, thanks everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it. It looks like i'm gonna be going with another spyder...

My choices are as follows:

Victor 2
XTRA
Shutter
Rodeo
E99 Avant
Imagine
Imagine Select

Sorry to have made you all explain your suggestions and then decide on a spyder, but it seems like the best choice because, mainly, it's the only choice. It's either that or a Tippmann, which I don't really like because it isn't good for my playing style. And, although i'm a BIG fan of CCI and Phantoms, I don't have enough money for one.

I'm going to start a new thread about the desicion between these spyders so I can get more opinions, seeing as this thread will now be going in a different direction and the title will be misleading. So, please stop posting on this thread so it doesn't look like im flooding or postwhoring the boards.

Thanks again for all the help,
-mjs

personman
02-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Why are you going with another spyder? It seems pretty stupid to me. If you already said this one is bad, why waste money buying another one? Buy a decent oring kit and a few replacement parts and you might have money left over. Its not very logical to sell a gun and then buy another one of the same kind.