PDA

View Full Version : High speed Rotary tools are dangerous....

Butterfingers
02-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Ok... so I was in clinic today and the prof wanted us to polish up some silver crowns we had just casted...

The teach had to leave for a bit so we couldent get our polishing demo until he came back...

So feeling that I was wasting time I took things into my own hands... I took out the polishing kit with the fine tip aluminum oxide stone...

I slapped it on the high speed reved it up and the head EXPLODED i mean it literally vaporized off the mandrel.

Being the idiot I am i decided ok its a fluke... I slap another one on worked fine for about 2 seconds it EXPLODED again... This time Im bleeding and theres a bit of bonded stone in my finger. I pull it out and I put the handpeice down... My lab partner looks at me like im an idiot...

I better wait for the teacher....

Mind you this thing is tiny its grinding head is about 2mm in diameter and around 4mm long. Its bonded just like any other bonded stone would be bonded. I had no idea.

The teacher comes back and gives his demonstration...

"These stones are only rated for 45,000 rpms dont use it on your highspeed they will explode"

Ahh Eureka!!! Highspeed handpeice equals 550,000 RPMS... I was give or take a half million RPMS off.. oh well...

RRfireblade
02-13-2004, 02:13 PM
"These stones are only rated for 45,000 rpms dont use it on your highspeed they will explode"

That's what I was just going to say.:)

Each tool is usually rated for a certain RPM and most people rarely pay attention to that..........until one explodes that is.

Jay.

mikey101
02-13-2004, 02:53 PM
hehe, nice goin bloodyfingers..err.. i mean butterfingers:p :p

TransMan
02-13-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
Each tool is usually rated for a certain RPM and most people rarely pay attention to that..........until one explodes that is.
Ya and most peopel usually catch on the first time it happens :)

Butterfingers
02-13-2004, 05:25 PM
im gonna do it again too just cause its cool...

:D

My buddy tried using the tapered diamond fissure bur but the thing ate through the metal too fast just... ripped through the silver in a matter of seconds hit the bench and we had a $50 diamond imbedded surgical stainless projectile barreling throught the air at a half million RPM

Just be glad we arent working on real patients yet. :D

Blennidae
02-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Studying to become a doctor or dentist? Either way just hope your patients never find out you are called "butterfingers".

FalconGuy016
02-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Blennidae
Studying to become a doctor or dentist? Either way just hope your patients never find out you are called "butterfingers".

AHahahahhaa :)

Garrum
02-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Butterfingers

Ahh Eureka!!! Highspeed handpeice equals 550,000 RPMS... I was give or take a half million RPMS off.. oh well...

Please tell me that the 550,000 number is a typo and you meant 55,000. Otherwise, I'll never go to the dentist again. Too much chance for a stone exploding in my head if the dentist pulls the switch too far.

Mr.mike
02-13-2004, 08:21 PM
http://www.allmax.com/MILT/

Butterfingers
02-13-2004, 08:22 PM
nope they spin at half a million PLUS!

There are new super high speed ones that go even faster.

Its the only way to cut through your tooth enamel which is just about as hard as a rock.

I belive the ones we have are ceramic bearing, air cooled, air turbine handpeices that spin at 550,000.

Its pretty safe with the hardened carbide and diamond burs. They are perfectly balanced surgical stainless.

bornl33t
02-14-2004, 02:42 AM
I've spent ALOT of time at the dentist recently... 5000$ worth of time to be accurate...nice to know there are proffesionals out there with tools that do 1/2 mill rpms to make my life better. I need a sticker that says

"<500,000 rpm only"

;)

Butterfingers
02-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Dont worry heat... Its because they spin so fast that they are so easy to control... Less chance of a slip. The tool does all the work not you.

I mean the minute you touch somthing it cuts.

Imagine grinding through stone with a dremel it would take you all day and you would have to put alot of force into it.

Ive cut dental stone with a highspeed before the weight of the handpeice alone is enough to take huge gouges out of it.

They spin down pretty quickly too... as soon as you stop stepping on the pedal it drops from top speed to a few thousand RPMS in a flash.

And proper techniques dictate that you use the tool in bursts for better control.

bornl33t
02-14-2004, 05:12 PM
where can I get one of these!!! think of the possibilities!

Lopy
02-14-2004, 07:01 PM
lol mike

The tool that started it all- a .50 (1/2") high speed full auto assault drill

FactsOfLife
02-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Butterfingers
This time Im bleeding and theres a bit of bonded stone in my finger.

and the handle "Butterfingers"....

Irony, sweet irony:p