PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the cheapest place to go for anodize

magsRus
02-13-2004, 01:59 PM
I want to andoize my timmy white or the closest they can go to white. But I dont want powder coat so where would you guys recommend me going?

RRfireblade
02-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Fantasy land.:D

There is no white anno.;)

But,Sexy Turtle I believe is the cheapest around.I have no idea of their quality so don't take this as an endorsement.:)

louie
02-13-2004, 03:15 PM
I think the closest you can get to white is dust silver. Personally, I would rather pay the extra and go with a realiable annodizing business. It doesn't make sense to send a marker that costs hundreds of dollars and have it get messed up because you decided to go cheap on the anno.

barberjohn
02-13-2004, 03:38 PM
clear dust seems as close to white as possible. sexy turtle anodizing has very good prices, but i am not so sure on how fast they get your stuff back to you. also, i am not sure if they had started taking orders again.

DiSoRdeR
02-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by louie
It doesn't make sense to send a marker that costs hundreds of dollars and have it get messed up because you decided to go cheap on the anno.
I agree with what louie said, better to spend alittle more than having it screwed up.

barberjohn
02-13-2004, 08:33 PM
well, at sexy turtle, they have a thing where if they screw up the anodizing, or whatever part that you sent them, then they will either do the ano over, or pay u for the part, or so i have heard.

rtslave
02-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Heard of a place called "white wolf" I can't find the tread that it was in but the site seemed like it was good and hadwhat I thaught were good prices.

http://www.whitewolfairsmithing.com/

Cryer
02-13-2004, 08:39 PM
http://www.maxanodizing.com/images/white_black_ripper.jpg
http://www.maxanodizing.com/images/black_white_gz.jpg

MAX ano is kind of expensive, but they adverstise white ano jobs.

barberjohn
02-13-2004, 09:57 PM
ITS NOT WHITE ANO. there is no such thing. there is silver dust, and clear dust, and that is as close to actual white as there is. i dont know why, i just know that there exists no white ano.

purplemag
02-13-2004, 10:31 PM
I am wondering why there would not be such a thing as White anno? Isn't anno just a process opening up the "pores" of the metal and then letting the "dye" seep in and set? They do make white dye. Just curious

barberjohn
02-13-2004, 11:04 PM
dont have a clue why, i have just never heard of white ano, and i have even been told that white ano is not done. i guess people feel like if you want white ano, then clear dust is the closest you are going to get, and believe me, its extremely close. just look at the storm intimidators, they are clear dust, and they look like white ano, especially in real life. and, jw, where have you heard of white dye?

StickFigurSicide
02-15-2004, 03:31 PM
They dont make white printing ink either. I wonder if its because the color white physically does not exist and its just a reflection of light or some science/technical thing like that.

Mabey you could bleach it? Worked pretty good when Jacko wanted something white :D

RRfireblade
02-15-2004, 03:48 PM
The top Timmy is Powder coated.

I think I read along time ago that it has something to do with the Anno process that will tint white dye to a light silver or something like that making it pointless,either way there is no white anno dye available.

Dusted/Satin/bead blasted raw silver is as close as it gets to white.

Jay.

MAX ano is kind of expensive, but they adverstise white ano jobs

If you look at thier color list,they don't list white.

magmonkey
02-15-2004, 03:54 PM
it is glass beaded and not dyed

Cryer
02-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
If you look at thier color list,they don't list white. Yeah, i saw that, too... They do say that they can do most any color and I figured that since the anno pics were described as white and black ano... I'm like you guys, tho... I dont know anything about ano except I cant do it:p not trying to argue;)

StickFigurSicide
02-27-2004, 08:03 PM
I found this on http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/anod.html -

"The anodic layer is also very porous as it comes out of the bath. Because of this porosity, it will absorb and hold dyes and colors well. The piece is usually colored simply by dipping it in a vat of concentrated dye for several minutes. Once the piece has been dyed, it is sealed, simply by immersing it in clean, boiling water for several more minutes. This process, because of the porosity of the oxide, hydrates the crystalline layer, which swells the oxide, closing the pores, sealing the dye within. Because the layer is so thin, the dye must be heavily concentrated, and even then, the color will be somewhat translucent. This is what gives the color anodizing its characteristic metallic sheen; the shiny base aluminum shows through the color. Because of this semi-transparency, the piece cannot be anodized white; the aluminum would show through, giving a light grey color."

So thats why :).

RRfireblade
02-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by StickFigurSicide

So thats why :). [/B]

Eh, I was close.;)

Good find.

Cryer
02-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Good find, man...

;)

DK1
02-27-2004, 08:27 PM
so here's my question... how do they get the white anno'd portion on ACI zero-gravity barrels? It's been years sine I've seen them, but the graffity series had white parts on all the different designs. Was is just laser-ed on there? Best I recall, it was truly white, not silver.

disregard. Turns out, the graphic portion IS silver, and the ACI logo is laser engraved...

DK1

OysterBoy
02-27-2004, 09:17 PM
FYI, Annodization is the process of literally 'rusting' (oxidizing) the aluminum, but using various chemicals in an acids bath, the oxide forms crystals which grow off of the alluminum, and various 'chemicals' form various colors. After that, they coat it with a finish.

Doc has a great article on it, i read all the time.

Peace.

RRfireblade
02-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by OysterBoy

Doc has a great article on it, i read all the time.

Peace.

Lemme guess, is it the one posted 4 posts before yours?;)

OysterBoy
02-27-2004, 10:15 PM
lol wadda ya know it is, but I read it earlier while checking the tech section (was gonna make my spyder run off liquid C02, but im still weighing the cons to the pros)

Darkling
02-27-2004, 10:20 PM
So...then what was dont to the top Timmy to make it have a white color? Powder coated? Glass beaded (what is this, by the way?)? I'm interested in gettin this..

RRfireblade
02-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Darkling
So...then what was dont to the top Timmy to make it have a white color? Powder coated? Glass beaded (what is this, by the way?)? I'm interested in gettin this..

The top Timmy is Powder coated.

Digits
02-27-2004, 11:22 PM
You guys are such tools.. If silver dust is practically the same as white why do you get all spasy when someone calls it white??

Darkling
02-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Uh, RRfireblade,

Originally posted by magmonkey
it is glass beaded and not dyed

The reason I was asking is because two different people said it was two different things, so I'm trying to figure out which one it is. Don't get all "read the thread" on me now...

dansim
02-28-2004, 11:06 AM
"glass beaded" as you call it is like sand blasting only with little (itty bitty teeny weenie tiny wi....you get the idea) glass beads

RRfireblade
02-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Darkling
Uh, RRfireblade,

The reason I was asking is because two different people said it was two different things, so I'm trying to figure out which one it is. Don't get all "read the thread" on me now...

I wasn't,it sure seemed like you didn't notice that it was already stated that the top one was powder coated white.

You didn't ask about the bottom one.

The bottom one is a raw dust finish which can be achieved by 'either' bead blasting or sand blasting.There is only minimal difference in the final product between the 2.The various 'blasting' medias are usually picked based on the 'hardness' of the item to be 'blasted' and not as much for the final texture,although it does have some effect.

magsRus
02-28-2004, 09:59 PM
all right well if anyone cares i sent my gun to A+ annodizing i know some of the guys that work there so it will work out, its going to be a silver dust, just like the shocktech intimidators.

RRfireblade
02-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Good for you. Let's see pics when it done.:)