PDA

View Full Version : Yay or nay?

can'tthink of1
02-13-2004, 08:26 PM
OK well I've been playing for about the last year, and I have spent over $1,200, all between teh tribal, nitro, custom spyder, and various parts for either one. And to me the $750 tribal, nitro, scepter, is not worth it. Neither is the $400 I got into my spyder total(that includes teh marker itself). So recently the though of selling it all has pop'ed into my head. I'm not a tournament player, I like just going out on the weekends and ballin away, but the 1,200 doesn't seem to be justafied. I have the money, admist the 1,200 spent, I have another 1.3k saved up. But its just the thought that "I have 1.2k into paintball" is kinda un-nerving(sp?). So basicly I was thinking up a plan to sell everything, cept my mask, and grab a nice VSC phantom, and just playing rec stuff like speedball, woodsball, and such with a phantom for awhile, and grabing a nice marker after I feel like I want to. TO YOU does this sound like a good idea?

Branchvillian
02-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Phantoms are awsome guns. In the long run, you will see that playing pump will make you a much better player, in case you do ever want to get into the tourny scene.

Cryer
02-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Yeah... Hit up the classifieds here or throw em up on ebay.

Take what you get out of that and you can get a really nice mag. Prolly around 400-550 brand new. Check out the Rogue-ULE custom in the Dealers Forum. Its got several options available. (fragtek is advertising them).

The tribal may fetch a good price here, but I'd take the spyder to ebay. Then again, who knows?

Brophog
02-13-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm all for the phantom idea too, but if your gonna do it, you better know what your getting into.

The phantom, and pump, isn't for everyone. Some think they'll like it, then end up selling it shortly thereafter.
I'm not trying to disuade you from going that route, but I don't want to see you go to the trouble of selling everything off, only to buy something equivalent a short time later.

can'tthink of1
02-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Well I think I would part the spyder, its the only way to get most of what I put in it back, I have parts that people want, so that shouldn't be hard. The tribal will be sold as a whole, I might part the reg on it(sidewinder) and throw the stock on one, and as for the nitro tank I'll sell it for what I got it for, it was like 150, so no loss there. Then I have a whole sleuh of parts lying around, so those will be sold too. Truthfully I really think I will like pump, even if I get a few extra brusies, its all good :D ALso I was thinking about a good marker when I enter the tourny secne, and when I do, It will probably be an evil omen, maybe something else, who knows.

tony3
02-13-2004, 10:50 PM
If I were in your shoes, I'd sell all of my stuff except my mask, hopper and nitro tank, find a cheap pump(150), and then pick up a ule rt custom. Some days you won't feel like playing pump so you will always have your nice mag to fall back on.

can'tthink of1
02-13-2004, 11:45 PM
LOL I love this forum, everyone says get a mag. I might, but i really want to have less $ into paintball because to me, a $700 setup isn't worth it knowing I'm not playing in tournies. But I don't think I'd exactly sell my tribal for a mag, just for now I think I'll just play open with a phantom, and get rid of everything else, I mean if i really want to get a semi I'll just use some of my close to 2k ;)

Duck Hunt
02-14-2004, 02:33 PM
I have the same problem, I'm just a rec-baller. I do want to get into playing more but I've spent too much on my stuff already, then factor in the price of paint! yikes. You can find a decent mag for cheap (under 200) on ebay or here just make sure it has level10, nothing too fancy. I REALLY want a mag, but the gun I use now (Piranha ProE) is just sooo nice, and I also want a pump. But I can't seem to get rid of the stuff I own right now!! Stop me before I go into debt! Hehehe, I say....unless you're REALLY into it, then just buy a decent gun, like a phantom, which are NICE, and just recball it =) Plus with a pump, sooooo much less paint ;)

Sean

Sparq
02-14-2004, 02:39 PM
I just picked up a phantom myself for essentially the same reasons. I still have my mag, but haven't used it in a few months. Being able to have as much fun as I do with the mag on 1/5th the paint is nice :D

Dryden
02-14-2004, 04:44 PM
I'm not one to say "Get a Mag" to every "What gun should I buy?" request, but I'm going to break from that and recommend either a Classic or Mini here.

If you keep the tank, mask, and accessory gear, the only thing you need to pick up is the base marker and a barrel. A brand new Classic Powerfeed is a little over $200, a brand new Mini will be slightly over $300. A used base package could be found in the Dealer's Forum for significantly less.

The basic mech Mag will take all the abuse and neglect you can dish out, and is already more than functional out of the box. If you do decide to play more frequently and invest more back into your gear, you can easily upgrade a Mag in small steps over the next several years. The L-10 bolt kit and Intelliframe are great options, but by no means necessary (despite most ramblings you'll find on AO).

Also, since the Classic valve can run on either CO2 or CA, you're not limited by field services if you only have a single marker, which IMHO is a major factor many don't consider.

I love the Phantom myself, and would not recommend against it, but if you're serious about playing speedball and other open field game types, a stock Mag might serve you better.

can'tthink of1
02-15-2004, 01:46 AM
I think I have a problem....I just recently started feeling like I want to keep my tricked spyder, and NOT get the phantom. I think I have phases of gun likeyness...

Anyone know how I can get rid of this...

Duck Hunt
02-15-2004, 02:06 AM
Well like I said, I loooooove my Piranha Pro E. It is supposed to be Piranhas highest end marker. It has some awesome features buuuuuuuut can be unreliable. I suggest coming up with things you don't like about your marker, that will help heres mine:

1. Somewhat ackward body configuration.
2. The rubber grips bubble out where the battery is, so you can see inside at the circuit board.
3. The trigger isn't reactive, it doesn't return fast enough to be effective, the faster I move my fingers the harder it is for the trigger to move off the solenoid.
4. And for some strange reason, when you turn it upsidedown or completely sideways the solenoid won't fire.

These things make me want a new marker, they make me want an automag RT ULE =) But everytime I pick it up I get a feeling that I don't want to get rid of it......maybe one day I will ;)

Sean

Brophog
02-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by can'tthink of1
I think I have a problem....I just recently started feeling like I want to keep my tricked spyder, and NOT get the phantom. I think I have phases of gun likeyness...

Anyone know how I can get rid of this...

Yeah, start keeping track of your yearly paint expenditures. :p

can'tthink of1
02-15-2004, 02:55 AM
There is nothing I don't like about my spyder, well maybe the fact that if I keep it, I will get MORE parts for it, to be to my liking, and a few to make it work lol, and in the end will cost about 600, which isn't too bad, considering that price includes a ntiro tank and an egg2, and the fact I will have a marker I truly like. BuT I think I will pick up a phanto , which I have one lined up already,sell the tribal for sure, and get the phantom here and go play with it, and see how I like it. Its one of those feeling like I know I will like the phantom, but I don't know for sure if I really like the idea of my uber nice spyder. So it looks like a cloudy future for my pb intrests...

GT
02-15-2004, 03:27 AM
Honestly its a hobby,
however you begin to relise that it doesnt matter what gun you have in your hands rather how you play. I just recently put down, or sold, all of my super duper eletro paint blasters because they just werent making me a better player. I still havve about 6 guns and 3 full rigs however my favorite to play with is the works cocker or my really old classic mag. I am slowly selling everthing down to 2-3 guns and maybe 2 rigs(hopper, tank and gun).

Its fun to play a few games with one setup and have another ready to go in the truck. if the day is realtivily fast paced you can have 2 rigs air'd up and paint loaded; run off the field drop one rig in your truck and pickup your next one up, fresh and ready to rock...

breg
02-15-2004, 05:00 AM
Honestly, a Spyder wa the first paintball gun I ever owned. A friend of min sold me a package deal (Mask, 2 CO2 tanks, hopper, and 2 barrels) for 200 dollars and a case of beer. I still love that gun. I didn't sell it to buy my Mag, I just went to Kuwait to afford it.
I'd advise keeping the Spyder since you like it so much. Instead, just save up and buy the phantom and keep the spyder for a back up or a day when you want a semi auto. So, In the end you have an upgraded Spyder that you put a lot of time into, and that is always something to be proud of; and you also have a NICE Phantom that people will drool over... or at least I would.

Gabriel
02-15-2004, 09:27 AM
I would say sell everything except the spyder, they are nice to have. Decent efficiency, easy maintainance, etc. I woulndt go pump, get a stock cocker if you dont wanna keep the spyder. But whatever you do dont quit all together!:eek:

Gabe

can'tthink of1
02-15-2004, 04:14 PM
I'll never quit altogether, anyways I think I'm going to pay for this phantom, and then just keep my spyder, but now the fun part of selling all the small parts begins :D

03vert
02-15-2004, 05:47 PM
But it is a lot easier to move with a semi but a pump is pretty cool anyways. I'd say buy phantom then buy a new spyder or mag or what have you and go for it. I wish I invested 1.2k in my setup. All I have is a intelli feed micromag with xvalve and lvl10.(well it's on its way):D

can'tthink of1
02-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Buy a new spyder or mag, my spyder is better than most, just to state a few nice parts, crossfire 68/4500, sidewinder reg, 20bps trigger frame, CP barrel, and soon a custom made (by me :D) anti-chop bolt, I'll get a pic in about 2 weeks when I get all the parts I want on it.