PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Know If Pumps Are For You?

DiSoRdeR
02-13-2004, 09:29 PM
For about a year I have been debating about going with a pump, a Phantom. Recently I decided to get a Rogue ULE Custom. I have enough for the Rogue ULE Custom but the thought of pumps came back up, and now Im trying to figure out which one would be more suited to me. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. How do you know which one is for you?

cphilip
02-13-2004, 09:32 PM
How Do You Know If Pumps Are For You?

You should try them on and walk a while in them. Maybe look at them in the mirror. Ask the sales lady if they flatter you or not... And Spikes? No way.... well only when I feeling naughty....I prefer flats. I just don't have the calves for Pumps.... Plus my legs are too hairy.

:D

the_next_guy_
02-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Do you know anyone with a pump? You could borrow one for a few games too see if you like it.

DiSoRdeR
02-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by the_next_guy_
Do you know anyone with a pump? You could borrow one for a few games too see if you like it.
Unfortunately no... all my friends are to cheap to play paintball :( I could though go to a paintball store I always go to that sells phantoms and see if I like them. And cphilip took me about 3 minutes to finnally understand what you were saying, was confused :rolleyes: Also does any one have a mag and a phantom? If so which one do you prefer?

Crighton
02-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Pick up a cheap pmi LB or SB, tracer, sl68-II. Play with it for a year. Resell it for exactly what you paid for it. Upgrade to a nicer pump or not.

Personally I love pump guns.

Brophog
02-13-2004, 09:54 PM
I'd answer this, but I never went semi, so I can't compare the two real well.

I guess though, I'd think about what makes pump enjoyable to me. There really are no "strengths" to pump anymore with the high end markers being so good. I guess maybe the low weight is a strength if you went all the way to stock class. Then again, I know of pumps that are setup to weigh 5-6 pounds with hopper and tank.

Other than the fact I don't care so much for rate of fire, the thing I like about pumps is the dependability. Even the most rugged semi can't compare to the dependability of a pump. Pumps can't chop, unless the user is at fault. The phantom only has a cup seal, two orings (same size though), and a couple of springs. This makes problem solving under two minutes.

To play pump, I think the only quality necessary is desire. If you plan on sitting still and playing "duck hunt" then your in for a world of hurt. If you feel there is more to the game than just the marker, then pump is ideal for you.

DiSoRdeR
02-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Brophog
If you feel there is more to the game than just the marker, then pump is ideal for you.
You definitly caught my attention here. I want to be the best I can possible be without counting on BPS. That is why I do not even look at electros, no offence to people who have them. I would bascily be playing the same with both, except the pump would give me limitations, which is also something I am considering. If I go with a Phantom it would be StockClass, because limitations can give you awhole new view on paintball I think.

Creative Mayhem
02-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by DiSoRdeR

You definitly caught my attention here. I want to be the best I can possible be without counting on BPS. That is why I do not even look at electros, no offence to people who have them. I would bascily be playing the same with both, except the pump would give me limitations, which is also something I am considering. If I go with a Phantom it would be StockClass, because limitations can give you awhole new view on paintball I think.

This is definately one of the best reasons to get a pump. However, you can limit yourself as you say, by carrying limited paint with you on the field. Just a thought.

I too want a pump, but I am in no rush to get one. I like my mags(mini and X) and they aren't gonna be put on the backburner for some time. :D

Lohman446
02-14-2004, 09:30 AM
I have a phantom sitting behind me, its intended use is limited. A pump used from time to time will make you a better player, you will learn to aim better, you will learn to move better, you will learn angles better. You will become less dependent on spary and pray. You will worry your tournament team when you show them your new marker (didn't mention the E-mag I ordered to them). But, when it comes out of rec to a tournament situation, you can bet my bump will be my third or fourth backup, and whats the chances of me E and ULE mag both going down to the point of not being fixable?

Sparq
02-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Since buying my VSC phantom, I've been improving alot faster than I had been shooting my mag. I'm also having at least as much fun at a fraction of the cost...I do believe the mag is going to take a backseat except in big games...

Your best bet is probably to play with one a bit...Don't be deterred if the first few games aren't so good, it takes time to get used to it.

Branchvillian
02-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Oh my god, that was the funniest thing you have ever said. LMAO, that's too funny. I had to read it twice to undersand what you where talking about.

Originally posted by cphilip

You should try them on and walk a while in them. Maybe look at them in the mirror. Ask the sales lady if they flatter you or not... And Spikes? No way.... well only when I feeling naughty....I prefer flats. I just don't have the calves for Pumps.... Plus my legs are too hairy.

cphilip
02-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Branchvillian
Oh my god, that was the funniest thing you have ever said. LMAO, that's too funny. I had to read it twice to undersand what you where talking about.

And I thought people was just ignoring my humor! :D

Mastema
02-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I have a Rtpro AND a phantom (stock class and right feed)

I play with BOTH.

Usually start the day with the RtPro then switch to the phantom at the end of the day.

In big games I also use both but I also take my PT pro with my phantom ( a couple quick shots available can save your game)

So you don't have to go one way or the other, go for both!

And just so you can get a feeling of pump play, buy a cheap sl68-II. Try it, if you like to play pump, go for the Phantom.

Pyrate Jim
02-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by DiSoRdeR
Also does any one have a mag and a phantom? If so which one do you prefer?

I have several mags, and a whole slew of pumps.

The mags are my loaners to those who don't want to use a pump.
Don't get me wrong, I love mags better than any other semi. I just feel better about my play when using something that doesn't throw so much paint.
(I spend a whole lot less on paint, as well. Maybe 200 balls for the day as opposed to a case and a half with a mag ~ and get the same number of eliminations)

skife
02-14-2004, 02:58 PM
my friend gave me a Tigershark II that was almoast brand new, its a good cheap pump based on a reliable design, it works great too, If your worried you wont use enough paint... try the spray and prey method with a pump (autotrigger) It works for me

Emily
02-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Phil that was the funny, By far it was the best post I have ever read.

Oh and I got the phantom today
Enigma @ Emilys

Tyger
02-14-2004, 03:10 PM
I've got an E-Mag and a Phantom. Take this as you will.

The Phantom is the gun I play with when I want to PLAY HARD. Not to say I can't play hard with the e-mag, but with a pump you REALLY gotta work at making eliminations. If I'm not sweating, I'm not working for it.

I tell people that playing pump is how you really LEARN to play. See, with a semi you can cover up lack of skill with firepower. And that's fine until you run into someone who can outplay your firepower. Once you remove the firepower aspect of the game, you need to learn the fundamentals. Snapshooting, teamwork, aiming, application of paint, the ability to watch the field and read the other team, flanking, moving under fire... I could go on.

The application of high firepower is ok, but if that's the only trick you've got in your bag then you need to learn how to really PLAY. So once you have no firepower, you learn other skills. Then when you go back, and pick up the semi, it's like you've just become a god. At CCP last night I kept telling people "This game is so much easier with an E-Mag." It is. Once you know the game, that's when the firepower comes in handy.

That being said, I still only carry 2 tubes on my back when I play, and 3-4 for big games if I think I'll be out more than a few hours. :D

-Tyger

Lee
02-14-2004, 06:50 PM
along with my b2k3 and retro lvl 10, i have a mac-1 mk 2 annihilater (old sheridan based pump) and a cocker i converted to pump.

which i play with depends on my mood. i basically end up splitting my time pretty evenly between them all. there are days when i've pulled out and used every one and days when i go strictly pump.

i strongly agree that playing pump will improve all aspects of your game. most people just can't shoot anymore. by that i mean with some degree of accuracy without throwing multiples down range.

1ofkind
02-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Pumps are alot of fun and really teach you to aim and concertrait alot more, rather than just shot. If your going to get one gun, make sure its not a pump, make it your second one,it would be harrible to be stuck with justa pump gun. Oh and I loved the autococker sniper, with a freak kit and teardrop tip its a pretty sexy gun, shoots straight as an arrow.

Jig
02-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Hey,
I've been playing stock class only for about two years. for a weekend or two i used an autococker, and loved it, but i cant deal with shooting that much paint(not a money issue either, i just feel really sucky, like a TWiB).

basically, you're going to get better. anyone can play pump, all it takes is patience and determinatience. COMMIT YOURSELF, thats the only way to become good at it. if you're going to play one or two weekends and realize you're doing really sucky, then this isnt for you. you have to understand you will do really sucky at first, but theres light at the end of the tunnel.

i say go for it, Phantoms resale values are pretty good these days.
Have fun,
Jig-"Ain't nuttin' but a thing"

DiSoRdeR
02-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Yeah I got it today :D wasnt expecting to buy it, when I saw It fell in love ;) Buy Me was written all over it :p just couldnt say no. Been staring at it for about 2 hours lol this thing is so sexy :) Got a silver VSC Phantom :D Theres a pic of it here (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125096) Cant wait to own the field with the baby :D

slushee
02-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

And I thought people was just ignoring my humor! :D

LOL sadly its that kinda humor that keeps me commin back here!!!

I am afriad for the day you no longer mod the forums..

Brophog
02-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by 1ofkind
If your going to get one gun, make sure its not a pump, make it your second one,it would be harrible to be stuck with justa pump gun.

Oh its just dreadful.;) ;)

Strider
02-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Sparq
Since buying my VSC phantom, I've been improving alot faster than I had been shooting my mag.I know for myself, I was always afraid to take the plunge in learning to be a forward. Being forced to play PGP on Supair vs Electros I had to play forward. Now I get quotes like this one:

For those of you who do not know Neil personally, if you ever saw him play, you'd know why this concept piques his interest so much. :D

"Dorito....DORITOOOOOOO!!!!!"

"It's the guy with the P-G-...*twack*...."

Don't even get me started with the BE itty bity hopper on the PumpMag & E-Mag. It's just blasphemy I tells ya!

nuclear zombie
02-16-2004, 04:33 PM
I would reccomend commiting yourself to playing with the pump for at least 2 months , I was waiting for a new marker but couldn't stand just watching so I got a sniper 2 . The first couple of times it was hard I got shot quite a bit, however after a couple of weeks I was picking people off the length of the field with one shot. It really does make you an overall better player . I would buy a used sniper 2 , or a phantom use it while you save again for the Rogue mag .

Odder
02-16-2004, 05:11 PM
From what I gather from your post it is really not a question about pump vs semi, but rather out of all the pumps which one is the right one for you.

There are a lot of choices out there for pumps, just as the same with semi/electro's.
here are a few of things to consider when looking at a pump:

1.The weight isssue, are you comfortable with the weight of you current setup? the first thing you willl notice is that a pump set up willl be almost 1/2 the weight of your semi. that is one thing that throw some people off. Markers like Plamers' houdtooth, Snipers and Illusions are considered to be the heavies of the bunch, so they would be a good choice for you if you want something that is beefy.

2. Depends on the type of games you want to be involve in, Perhaps challenging yourself even more with limited paint and air, by going stock play once in awhile. two of the front runners in this category will be the Phantom and the Illusion. they can both switch from stock calss to direct feed in a matter of minutes with the right accessories.

3. And if you are one of those child prodigies that has eyes in the back of your head and want just dive straight into old school pump play, than Palmer's Super Stocker, PUG, PGP and VSC Phantom will be the one for you.

4. if you are not too sure about giving up the security feelings of hiding behind a wall of paint, than Auto-Trigger is a must. Phantom and Traccer/Mavericks are the top contender here.

5. And if you still wants the comfort of spray and pray, than there are some custom airsmith will make a P/A Sniper or Phantom for you, for the price of a mid range electro. than let the rain of paint begin.

6. Finally If you just want something to end the day with, when you only have a 100 rounds left. any simple direct feed back bottle pump will do, simply screw on the same air system strap on the same loader than you are ready to go. Maverick/traccers, used Sheridan and SL-68 can all be had for less than $100. My 1st pump was a beat up ex-field rental PMI 2, affter one game I knew for sure I needed a pump in my life.

Come on over toPHOG (http://pub15.ezboard.com/bphantomphorum75007) and learn more about it.

50 cal
02-16-2004, 06:00 PM
I have an Emag, classic RT and a Phantom. I play with mt Phantom more than the other 2. I like to go out with just a few 10 ball tubes, a few 12grams and take it to the the guys that shoot electro's with like 5 or 6 pods and use almost all of it.
I get it as good as I give it.
Play with a pump, it'll let you know what your game truly is.

painball
02-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Now you guys got me interested in a pump. I may buy a cheap PGP to mess around with. :) :cool:

WicKeD_WaYz
02-17-2004, 03:29 AM
I just played my first full day with my new phantom.(walkons) I loved it. Your lighter and able to run faster and what not. But its soooooo much harder not having a semi and playing against semi's. As long as you have semi's on your team behind you though its all good. But I say to have a pump you have to be able to play up front, so you can get better shots. Theres no such thing as accuracy in volume any more.

Although I would never take my pump with me to any tourney, its tight as hell in walk on games.

Brophog
02-17-2004, 03:41 AM
Play against a fellow pumper sometime, that's hard.

You'll figure out semi's easy enough. Most semi shooters don't realize just how easy a target they make themselves. If you have an opportunity, ref sometime and just watch how most players play. You'll be amazed at how much time they'll give you to line up that one shot. And if your close enough, that's all it will take.

Also notice how they shoot, especially the electros. First thing on most electro shooters minds is to start hitting the trigger. Then they see their stream, and then they adjust. Most semi shooters, without realizing it, lose valuable seconds with that trigger. You've got a big advantage here. Your not worrying about the trigger, or watching paint. All you have to do is see the target and shoot.

The biggest tip I can give you is to forget that you have a pump and he has a semi. Think to yourself that it is just you and him. Learn his patterns and adjust. Most people have patterns. You need to play the man, and forget about technology.

Notice I've not said ALL semi shooters. There are some VERY fine players out there, semi or pump. You will lose to some players, no matter how good you are. Odds are though, it wasn't the pump that made you lose. It was the fact you finally found that guy better than you.

WicKeD_WaYz
02-17-2004, 02:26 PM

You'll figure out semi's easy enough. Most semi shooters don't realize just how easy a target they make themselves. If you have an opportunity, ref sometime and just watch how most players play. You'll be amazed at how much time they'll give you to line up that one shot. And if your close enough, that's all it will take.

Also notice how they shoot, especially the electros. First thing on most electro shooters minds is to start hitting the trigger. Then they see their stream, and then they adjust. Most semi shooters, without realizing it, lose valuable seconds with that trigger. You've got a big advantage here. Your not worrying about the trigger, or watching paint. All you have to do is see the target and shoot.

The biggest tip I can give you is to forget that you have a pump and he has a semi. Think to yourself that it is just you and him. Learn his patterns and adjust. Most people have patterns. You need to play the man, and forget about technology.

Notice I've not said ALL semi shooters. There are some VERY fine players out there, semi or pump. You will lose to some players, no matter how good you are. Odds are though, it wasn't the pump that made you lose. It was the fact you finally found that guy better than you.

thanks, ya hopefully Ill get really good my with my pump but right now im still adjusting. Sometimes I see a guy and I just miss because Im used to having those first couple balls kind of as a guide to where Im shooting at. The most frustrating thing Ive found so far is just seeing someone out and not being able to hit him. Ill get better with it though.

Quickling
02-17-2004, 05:35 PM
HAHAHAHA I know how you feel. I used to HATE that so much. But it goes away...kinda. There will always be misses, but you will also learn to ignore things that will take more than a few shots to hit (like barrel tips).

Paul La Rue
02-19-2004, 01:20 PM

Brophog, that is a great post, and excellent advise to any new pump player.

Personally, I only own two Phantoms, and I don't see me going back to semi play any time soon...enjoy your new Phantom!