PDA

View Full Version : post paintball head ache

Methylphenidate
02-14-2004, 12:13 AM
does any one else get these or am i just abnormal.
it seems though that every time im done playing a get a head ache nothing huge like a migrane but just enough to anoy me for a couple of hours.

Skoad
02-14-2004, 12:21 AM
i used to get those EVERY time after paintball. Past few outtings i haven't gotten one.

Friends get them too, from what i heard its a adrenaline withdrawal

Woogie12
02-14-2004, 12:24 AM
I get that usually when it's hot or hit in the head too many times. That's about it. But I used to get headaches everyday. They all of a sudden stopped when I broke my collarbone though. :confused:

Mindflux
Originally posted by Skoad
i used to get those EVERY time after paintball. Past few outtings i haven't gotten one.

Friends get them too, from what i heard its a adrenaline withdrawal

That sounds ridiculous. I never hear of olympic athletes griping about headaches after big sprints etc.

I get headaches from having my jaw locked. When I run around and get agressive my jaw locks and I end up grinding my teeth quite a bit.

Shrug.

Big_Chops
darn skoad beat me to it:( o well it could be because your crazy or beating up on all those bfg punks and all the whining gave you a headache:D

Methylphenidate
02-14-2004, 12:26 AM
ROFL

Mrmacdude
02-14-2004, 12:29 AM
try drinking more water while playing

sslecyk03
02-14-2004, 12:34 AM
i dono about headaches but every time i go paintballin i get a stomach ache. Probably from all the crazy energy drinks at ccp

Blennidae
02-14-2004, 01:32 AM
I used to get them, but they stopped after I made sure my head was covered on hot days, and I make sure I drink a lot of fluids, mainly gatorade or water.

eat my paint
02-14-2004, 01:42 AM
the headaches are probably either from dehydration, or from ure body getting over all the adrenalin. while playing, ure body is flooded with adrenalin (at least in my case) and getting over it can cause a headache from ure body readjusting.

MrWallen
02-14-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Mrmacdude

I agree. Wearing masks and baggy clothes, you get hot really quick. Dehydration easily causes headaches, only you don't know you're thirsty cause your head hurts.

Drink more water :) .

Tron
02-14-2004, 03:39 AM
Fluids, eat a banana, and loosen the mask a bit it creates pressure points.

JuggaloDave
02-14-2004, 06:03 AM
drink propel at the feild, good stuff, better than gatorade imo. drink more water off the feild too; i read that alot of the time ppl are always borderline dehydrated, and this causes the thirst thing to be real weak and is often mistaked for hunger. and as stated above, the headaches are prolly from dehydration, i used to get bad headaces after playing cause we thought we were smart buying a case of cheap soda to bring with us, and then i quit drinking soda and drank a gang of water, made stuff a lil easyer. also, so you do any kind of running or anything inbetween games days? if not try running every other night or like twice a week. could have to do with sitting at the computer or at school and being relativly inactive except for that once every so often when you play. the first time i ran a mile i got home and had a head ace that floored me, i hadnt ran seince like, late june when i last played and i was hurting bad. now that i have been joggin every other night, i feel alot better, and i dont even feel like smoking no more eaither, which is odd, but whatever works ya know?

Creative Mayhem
02-14-2004, 06:15 AM
The headaches are from any number of factors. Dehydration, as some have stated, and possibly Carbon Dioxide retention. I have a nasty habit of drinking carbonated drinks, NOT good for hydration, and I get headaches every damn time.(yes I need to correct that :)) I get them after scuba diving as well, which is usually a result of Carbon Dioxide retention. If you aren't getting rid of the CO2 in you body well enough it can cause a build up which can lead to headaches as well. Just food for thought, and possible headache reduction ;)

JimmyDean
02-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Mrmacdude
-thats my vote

Sir_Brass
02-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Methylphenidate
does any one else get these or am i just abnormal.
it seems though that every time im done playing a get a head ache nothing huge like a migrane but just enough to anoy me for a couple of hours.

Are you keeping yourself hydrated FULLY during your day of play? Remember, that when you start to feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. I carry a FULL water bottle with me EVERY DAY I play paintball, and I drink a mouthfull or two after EVERY game. I used to get headaches, but I don't anymore.

Also, eating a large breakfast (don't overstuff yourself) and a moderate lunch before and during a day of play leaves me feeling ONLY the paintball withdrawl at the end of the day and nothing else. The withdrawl goes away after I take a long hot shower, though :D.

personman
02-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Like others said, water is the trick.
I chug a tall glass of water before I leave to go to the field. That's important, being hydrated before you even leave. I personally dont like the taste of water, its too plain to me, but I force it down because it's good for me, and I start to feel bad and cramp up without enough water. I also drink a gatoraid or two on the field.

The only time I have ever gotten a headache after a day of play is when I got nailed point blank in the head two times.. that was horrible.. when I was a nubie I guess I popped up in my teammates line of fire who was standing behind me? I dont know, I'm still not quite sure what happened. But yeah, drink water, it will help. And even if it doesnt, its good stuff.

Dryden
02-14-2004, 01:12 PM
How well does all your headgear fit? It could simply be the mask, bandana, or a hat.

I had a particular problem with a JT Spectra Flex-7 mask a long time ago. I'd get migraines after long periods of play. Cutting out about half of the really rigid foam that goes behind the ear took care of the problem for me. Poor ventilation at the front of the mask or pressure from the sides around the ears would be my primary concern, provided everything else is in check (e.g. keeping hydrated).

Tyger
02-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Along the water front... If you drink a lot of 'Dew or "Energy Drinks", you maybe taking in too much caffeine. Caffeine does help wiht headaches, as it's a stimulant. But it's also a diuretic, which means it makes you urinate. So you end up losing water in your body by drinking a caffinated drink. Same goes for alcohol too.

some is ok. But if all you drink is 'Dew or Cokes when you play, you're hurting yourself.

-Tyger

MrWallen
02-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass

Are you keeping yourself hydrated FULLY during your day of play? Remember, that when you start to feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. I carry a FULL water bottle with me EVERY DAY I play paintball, and I drink a mouthfull or two after EVERY game. I used to get headaches, but I don't anymore.

Also, eating a large breakfast (don't overstuff yourself) and a moderate lunch before and during a day of play leaves me feeling ONLY the paintball withdrawl at the end of the day and nothing else. The withdrawl goes away after I take a long hot shower, though :D.

I don't think that that's true/recommended anymore. I read an article that said that if you drank too much, you could flood your kidneys or something like that, and to just drink when you're thirsty is fine.

However, if you're doing something physical all day, like paintball, it is probably better to pre-empt it by drinking before you get thirsty.

Dryden
02-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Tyger
Along the water front... If you drink a lot of 'Dew or "Energy Drinks", you maybe taking in too much caffeine. Caffeine does help wiht headaches, as it's a stimulant. But it's also a diuretic, which means it makes you urinate. So you end up losing water in your body by drinking a caffinated drink. Same goes for alcohol too.

some is ok. But if all you drink is 'Dew or Cokes when you play, you're hurting yourself.

-Tyger Caffeine also causes the blood vessels to contract. Quite literally, caffeine - in large quantities - starves the brain for blood.

Caffeine, in and of itself when you're sitting on your duff, can give you that "sugar buzz." However, once you begin an activity that gets the heart rate up, the caffeine will induce head aches and exhaustion.

Methylphenidate
02-14-2004, 03:17 PM
is there any merit to this idea of adrenaline withdrawal,
or is it just like a paintball urban legend.

PevsBalla89
02-14-2004, 03:31 PM
try loosening whatever you where on your head, when i wear a headband too tight i get a head ache

Sir_Brass
02-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by MrWallen

I don't think that that's true/recommended anymore. I read an article that said that if you drank too much, you could flood your kidneys or something like that, and to just drink when you're thirsty is fine.

For you to flood your kidneys you'd have to drink an OBSCENE amount of water. I'm talking like GALLONS upon GALLONS in a VERY short amount of time. It's almost PHYSICALLY impossible to flood your kidneys unless you're trying to and you keep drinking water even after your body tells you "NO MORE!".

And trust me, it's a proven FACT that by the time your body kicks in the thirst mechanism, you're already somewhat dehydrated. Not to dangerous levels (when you start getting headaches, etc. from not being hydrated, that's your body's warning for "DANGEROUSLY LOW ON WATER. BECOMING VERY DEHYDRATED"), now, but still, when you start feeling thirsty, your body is telling you "I'm going to be getting low soon. Hydrate me!"

TheDuelist
02-14-2004, 10:11 PM
My regimine is a gallon of water during the day of play and a gatorade or powerade after the day is over. Prior to doing it this way I got a headache all the time. Since I started I have yet to have one.

Big_Chops
02-14-2004, 10:24 PM
i drink 250oz of water before i get out of school. now way they are gonna flood.

MrWallen
02-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass

For you to flood your kidneys you'd have to drink an OBSCENE amount of water. I'm talking like GALLONS upon GALLONS in a VERY short amount of time. It's almost PHYSICALLY impossible to flood your kidneys unless you're trying to and you keep drinking water even after your body tells you "NO MORE!".

And trust me, it's a proven FACT that by the time your body kicks in the thirst mechanism, you're already somewhat dehydrated. Not to dangerous levels (when you start getting headaches, etc. from not being hydrated, that's your body's warning for "DANGEROUSLY LOW ON WATER. BECOMING VERY DEHYDRATED"), now, but still, when you start feeling thirsty, your body is telling you "I'm going to be getting low soon. Hydrate me!"

I'm fairly certain that I read an article stating that it was now recommended to drink only when thirsty, and not all the time.

Maybe not related to kidneys, but I do know that that that's what the article said: Drink when you're thirsty.

Xan
02-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Bandana, mask, or headband too tight? How do you aim your marker? If you sight a certain way for a while it gives you a headache. Water might be issue too.

Methylphenidate
02-15-2004, 02:11 AM
How do you aim your marker? If you sight a certain way for a while it gives you a headache

Xan could you explain this a little more.

Garrum
02-15-2004, 02:32 AM
If you have slightly high blood pressure, you could get a headache when your heartrate increases substantially. Or if you get agaitated or stessed.

Hephaestus
02-15-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Creative Mayhem
The headaches are from any number of factors. Dehydration, as some have stated, and possibly Carbon Dioxide retention. I have a nasty habit of drinking carbonated drinks, NOT good for hydration, and I get headaches every damn time.(yes I need to correct that :)) I get them after scuba diving as well, which is usually a result of Carbon Dioxide retention. If you aren't getting rid of the CO2 in you body well enough it can cause a build up which can lead to headaches as well. Just food for thought, and possible headache reduction ;)

Creative Mayhem,

Had the same suspicions about CO2 retention. Breathing heavly on recycled air in a mask that dose not replenish enough oxygen is one of the main culprits I think. Especially when you are tied down at one spot not able to move around to force new air into the mask.

Even trying to be well hydrated during the whole day of playing I still get stomping headaches that take an advil to allivate. (1L of gatoraide before game start and at least 4~6L for the rest of the day did not do the trick for me) Plus I do stay away from caffeine the whole day.

I wish that there were some better ways of adding better ventilation into that JT Spectra mask of mine.

Adding more food for thoughts.

BTW - Great Topic for Discussion!
- Keeping an eye on this one.

Sir_Brass
02-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by MrWallen

I'm fairly certain that I read an article stating that it was now recommended to drink only when thirsty, and not all the time.

Maybe not related to kidneys, but I do know that that that's what the article said: Drink when you're thirsty.

sorry, bro, but that article is wrong. get me a link to it and I'll check it out. but until I see it for my own eyes and it convinces me of it's opinion, then I'll keep on telling you that drinking ONLY when you're thirsty is not the best way to approach keeping hydrated when doing athletics. It IS, however, an excellent way to get DEhydrated.

50 cal
02-15-2004, 10:15 AM
You need to drink all the time. The Israeli's tried that water conservation bit on their soldiers and killed quit a few.
When I went to Desert Storm, we had to drink 1 liter of water per daylight hour. If you felt thirsty, you were already on your way to dehydration.
You should drink enough water for your urine to stay clear. If it's yellow, you're not drinking enough water.

The adrenalin aftermath headache is an old wives tale. I believe I read it on www.snopes.com someplace. They debunk a lot of myths.

Xan
02-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Methylphenidate, sometimes when I try to focus on something close (tip of the barrel) and something further away (another player perhaps) at the same time, my eye muscles start to hurt and if I keep it up for a while my upper forehead starts to hurt as well.

Learning how to aim without using the barrel to sight my target has caused the fore-mentioned headaches to stop.

Sir_Brass
02-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Xan
Methylphenidate, sometimes when I try to focus on something close (tip of the barrel) and something further away (another player perhaps) at the same time, my eye muscles start to hurt and if I keep it up for a while my upper forehead starts to hurt as well.

Learning how to aim without using the barrel to sight my target has caused the fore-mentioned headaches to stop.

you shouldn't try to focus so hard. what causes the headaches in that case is eye strain, pure and simple.

mcveighr
02-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Remember, that when you start to feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

I also read that was false. I think it was in one of those bathroom reader books.

trevorjk
02-15-2004, 01:23 PM
maybe you were just checking me out for to long and my sexyness started to burn a hole in the back of your skull?!?

but yeah i only get headaches if i dont drink anything, i use to get them all the time like u are but ever since i started to drink as much gatorade through out the day, and during the time i play, i havent gotten headaches since

Sir_Brass
02-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by mcveighr

I also read that was false. I think it was in one of those bathroom reader books.

and we know how credible those publications are. :rolleyes: