PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good at drilling and tapping?

Duke Henry
02-14-2004, 05:27 PM
After having my stainless steel bottomline screw break off, and leave me with a half filled bottomline hole, I have to say that I have miffed the little room I had to work with.

So, My emag has 1 functioning bottomline screwhole. The other still has half of the screw in it, and I have expanded the hole in my efforts to extract the screw.

So, is there anyone out there who would be able to drill out the screw, and tap both bottomline screwholes so that they can accept a larger bolt?

Obviously I would be willing to pay for such a service since it is beyond my capabilities...

MSB304
02-19-2004, 06:59 PM
ss is hard to break. did it break when tightening? if it broke due to the threaded end bottoming out, (screw to long), then it will be hard to remove and probably require drilling and using a screw extractor. if it broke due to overtightening it should come out fairly easy if you can cut a slot in the top of the remaining bolt you can usually use a small screwdriver to back it out. either way the cheapest way to get it out will be to take it to your local machine shop. your threads in the grip will more than likely be ok. just run a tap into the hole you enlarged to clean up the threads. if you drill them out and rethread them your asa will also need to be drilled out for the larger screws.

Duke Henry
02-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I have sent off my grip frame to one of the great members of this board, who is repairing the thread for me so that I will not have to use bigger screws.

Thanks to CNC9D, and thanks to all for their suggestions...

BlackVCG
02-20-2004, 03:20 AM
Gotta love helicoils. :)